Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - deep cold inbound?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's a busy time right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 

For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul said:

Steady as she goes on the UKV 15z, following a very similar theme to the 3z this morning, bringing deep cold virtually countrywide on Sunday, along with a good rash of snow showers from the east.

satukv.png sunukv.png

ukv-snow.png

LP just a little further east but that does allow for more snow showers across East Anglia and E.Midlands.

Looks reasonable to me, with more snow showers further NE you go. Less to the south of the LP core though as the LP is further east, it is a reduced issue.

• Like 2

Posted
47 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Yeah its cold enough on the ECM.

Bigger problem is it will be much drier for the south on this run, probably south of the Wash-Liverpool there'd be very little snowfall if the 12z ECM is right. Probably will be some, but its going to be modest at best.

PS - this is not just me 'looking at the models, etc' - this is also based on experience of convection in winter months around these types of set-ups and how difficult it is to get any meaningful convection with a onshore flow...unless we do manage to get  snapfire trough.front forming, which is unlikely given the orientation of the axis of the LP gyre coming across from the SW.

I think possible  thames and wash streamers need to be taken into consideration with the wind in that direction ?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Paul said:

Steady as she goes on the UKV 15z, following a very similar theme to the 3z this morning, bringing deep cold virtually countrywide on Sunday, along with a good rash of snow showers from the east.

satukv.png sunukv.png

ukv-snow.png

How respected is the UKV?  IS it used by the Met O for example?  Educate me.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ultima Thule said:

Very good in particular in close range, say 48hrs.

Met office does indeed use it.

PS - its still not great for those who are suffering from no snow still in the south, especially in the SE closer to the LP core so more of a due north flow.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Paul said:

satukv.png sunukv.png

ukv-snow.png

Hi, is that extrapolated from raw ukmo? or is it an independent model?  thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
2 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

and... don’t  leave us hanging........,:)

Ha ha! Probably a bit off topic...wonder if I can share privately... 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
2 minutes ago, James Maidstone said:

I may be a novice amateur when it comes to meteorology, but from what I can see there are two salient points

• As they say "Get the cold in first and then worry about everything else -that now seems fairly likely for the vast majority of the country?
  • Worry about the exact position of the low at 96/120/144 and how it affects precipitation streams is unnecessary detail at this stage, since the position of the low which is currently being modeled for Sunday/Monday is not where it will actually be and thus the precipitation charts are not worth worrying about at this stage?  You have got to be in it to win it and we are getting closer to being in it?

I hope I am not barking up the wrong tree with the above points?

Bang on. 

All of the microscopic analysis of the latest ECM run is all very interesting, but somewhat academic at this range. The exact positioning of the long wave pattern will change between now and Sunday, so it just seems a waste of energy to go so deep into that kind of analysis. 

The key has always been to look at the overall trends at this range, and then nail down the exact positioning when we get to within 2/3 days. Even then, convection, troughs, etc are poorly modelled until within 12-24hrs. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

and... don’t  leave us hanging........,:)

You have PM

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
8 minutes ago, Biggin said:

I think possible  thames and wash streamers need to be taken into consideration with the wind in that direction ?

Need a more ENE element to the flow, not a NE for the Thames streamer set up mate, could be good for East Kent or Norfolk more likely, maybe as long as the lows not too close 

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
4 minutes ago, Dj fart said:

Ha ha! Probably a bit off topic...wonder if I can share privately... 

You don't have to share the image just say what it shows.

• Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Ultima Thule said:

It's their main hi-res deterministic model, run at 1.5km 

visual-cortex-of-uk-temperatures.png
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

The Unified Model is run operationally in a number of configurations for weather forecasting at the Met Office.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

If the snowline is north/ne then there's also some pretty strong winds and gusts of winds Saturday night through Sunday. Gusts up to 40mph through Yorkshire and over 50mph in the NW. Could be very nasty indeed. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
56 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Absolutely dreadful run for the South and SE of the country that have already put up with the most torturous winter in living memory. A bit like myself supporting Spurs- we're always nearly but never quite enough. There was so much promise at the start of the season but the runs of the last 2 days are mirroring Spurs current form.

I hope the low is modelled a couple hundred miles further south in future runs so we can finally see some of the white stuff but unlikely IMO

If I was living Midlands northwards I'd be delighted with this winter but also hoping other areas got in on the act too so we can all have a memorable winter, but knowing our luck the pattern will be more favourable in Spring as is often the case here.

Again.. get the easterly inflow at the surface.. things will take a different turn @drip n-fold... the ensembles @500>and temp gradient noting the scenarios!!!.. we wait.. we watch..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dj fart said:

You have PM

It’s fine.. never can be too sure sure with opening links.... sorry if any offence..

Cold and snowy warning ? 

• Like 1

Posted

Just a quickie from the ECM ensembles,

18 out of 51 ECM ensemble members (maybe 17 but I was a little optimistic with its interpretation of a settling for one!) have settled snow in the SE according to the ECM by 12z Monday. Nearly all have large numbers for the north.

More runs do bring in snow from the Atlantic beyond that point however.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Djdazzle said:

Just good or bad for deep cold

Cold flow from ENE, snowy down the east side. "2-5cm widely. 10-20 locally"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted
1 minute ago, TSNWK said:

It’s fine.. never can be too sure sure with opening links.... sorry if any offence..

Cold and snowy warning ? 

OK, no worries. Yeah, shows a warning to the emergency planners for significant falls down the whole east coast with a particular warning for East Anglia. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
3 minutes ago, Frosty Winter said:

ECM 12z ensemble mean is fantastic at t144 with the low further south.

A9F02DE4-F20C-459F-8FD8-CD68589776AE.thumb.gif.1b433e61ed8961d3b637b2cef68449cf.gif97D8E746-9C5B-40D8-AC5C-E04102E2BEF1.thumb.gif.4cac5aecf9b82afc4ba141717807c1fa.gif

ECM behaving exactly like what it did before the BFTE, going against its own mean, time and time again, before coming into line with it 48-72hrs out. 

• Like 6

Posted
30 minutes ago, Kreftysoton said:

Totally agree with you, i cant remember a winter where the contrasts have been so big. Down here on the south coast its been mild, dull and wet for the most part with a couple of frosts. You would never have thought January was the coldest in the uk for 10 years living down here! I think were destined for nothing again down here other than a couple of cold dry days which will be most welcome after the amount of rain we have had! I hope im wrong!!

I remember loads. The 70s Winters, and even a couple in the 80s saw numerous cold, snowy events for North of Midlands whilst 'we' got nowt but rain and mild. It is prob also worth pointing out that the North of the UK will frequently be colder and snowier than the South, as that is generally, our Winter climate.

• Like 5