Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - deep cold inbound?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's a busy time right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 

For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
3 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Fax chart for saturday. Oh my looks perfect to me! Heavy snow showers spreading down the whole eastern side of the UK! ❄️

1260055645_BRAEU_120(1).thumb.gif.0ca745afe111291ea41d9a10cb69f08e.gif

Genuine question as I'm not the greatest at reading fax charts- would this be snow down in the south, or still rain/sleet?  every post thats deemed great atm ( I anxiously wonder automatically if its great for everywhere apart from the south/SE) where weve been burnt all winter long down here

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany

A question for someone who has a good technical understanding of the models.

I understand that the op run is produced at higher resolution than the control.  So its data output should have a higher predictive value.

In calculating the mean value charts then is the op run ‘discounted’ so that every member of the set is treated equally (giving an even mean), or if not, the mean must surely always have a bias to the op run sort of built into it.

Many thanks anyone

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
1 minute ago, DAVE_ALLEN said:

ECM @ 72+ has a small High Cell appearing over Poland.  Lets hope this doesnt affect the limpet low moving away later in the run to the SE.  

Screenshot 2021-02-02 at 18.12.05.png

Gone at T96 I think

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Kentspur said:

Genuine question as I'm not the greatest at reading fax charts- would this be snow down in the south, or still rain/sleet?  every post thats deemed great atm ( I anxiously wonder automatically if its great for everywhere apart from the south/SE) where weve been burnt all winter long down here

On that fax chart at that time stamp I would say snow or hail most likely from The Wash across to Chester, north. Maybe further south later on if the fronts move S or SSW later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

ECM T96, somewhere between UKMO and GEM, I reckon here:

23DBCB3A-B155-4F4A-92BB-B78B4F7BD9C7.thumb.gif.f93bd2f3cd2a6b002911365d05bfd56d.gif

B454A89A-E9F8-4FB9-B523-6EA0551E6BAC.thumb.png.2923702f7642d0b33c8d9e665e28a074.pngF6698167-7944-44EF-BB17-422408BF2F88.thumb.png.4f91cdd80f36266afeec1880f59b7ce8.pngBFEF7D2C-1239-41FD-BA08-E32528B2B4CA.thumb.gif.e1bb0dad11d71ef6500833d3e210c86a.gif

Looks identical to GEM to me.......

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Is that the low over spain Kold has spoken about once or twice?

98290CC6-8387-4CAB-9F6B-932AFD91239A.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
Just now, That ECM said:

Is that the low over spain Kold has spoken about once or twice?

98290CC6-8387-4CAB-9F6B-932AFD91239A.png

Yes, but it doesn’t look anywhere near as influential as the GFS run.

• Like 6

Posted
6 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

In my opinion the met office are going 100% with their own model the UKMO which as you can see is picture perfect.

In the fax chart's own right for saturday 12z which it shows, would probably be more sleet and rain the further south east you head. But look at the position of that occluded front straddling the country and changing frames from friday to saturday, later saturday any sleet/rain would be turning more readily to snow and by sunday would be frequent snow showers blowing in on strengthening easterly winds!

UKMOPEU12_96_1.png

UKMOPEU12_120_1.png

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ECM T120, pulling away to east, but a little further north than I’d like:

F24C71C6-2BD7-4F0B-B44B-F8CAB768854C.thumb.gif.9b7393e9685fbd8316453801c62ffb85.gif

The next low is clearly going under so should be OK

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and very cold.
16 minutes ago, lawrenk said:

Just need that cold over us to more closely match the colour of her dress.

Just look at those uppers!!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
3 minutes ago, If Wishes made Weather said:

A question for someone who has a good technical understanding of the models.

I understand that the op run is produced at higher resolution than the control.  So its data output should have a higher predictive value.

In calculating the mean value charts then is the op run ‘discounted’ so that every member of the set is treated equally (giving an even mean), or if not, the mean must surely always have a bias to the op run sort of built into it.

Many thanks anyone

Im no expert, but I see the mean as "one of the tools" used to make a forecast, though it is mainly used in the mid term (day 5 plus) to gauge the broader pattern.

The Operational is the starting point, and the main run. 

The ensembles will show the confidence in the operational run, that is the only reason the ensembles are run alongside the operational. The spaghetti graphs are best the way to judge the likelihood of the Operational being correct in its forecast. Tight clustering means high confidence, low clustering or scatter means low confidence. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Ecm 12z runnin.. the GEFS are 7 outta 10’s... on scale @dynamics.. the arming of Euro heights are the thorn.. but it’s how can run ?‍♂️ the fastest.. whom gets to the midway point... jogs.. and stabilise!!.. @easterly inflow.. or advecting height yo temper the situ.. @examples..

65009418-904B-4F86-997E-54DAF1248D4A.png

8AA95FB7-2796-4C67-855C-ED90E533CBD0.png

EDD2AD70-DFC3-4459-827A-05FB262BCC50.png

98AD0E17-49B6-45BA-9D87-2E5DEE204931.png

D4354546-BCA2-4FBA-B012-D71E4B16BFBA.png

367229AB-B63B-4DBD-AA39-44826C8A1ADB.png

3375BB23-3354-4D03-9CEF-3825DCD4D435.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
Just now, Lloyd1 said:

Does anyone have any idea how long this cold snap will be in for? BBC Weather seem to think this spell will last only till the 10th February and get milder thereafter. Haven't looked at previous comments so sorry if this has already been discussed. 

We don’t know how the weekend will pan out and is why many are here to find out , enjoy the ride as we find out together. Any Ecm ok at 120 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Lloyd1 said:

Does anyone have any idea how long this cold snap will be in for? BBC Weather seem to think this spell will last only till the 10th February and get milder thereafter. Haven't looked at previous comments so sorry if this has already been discussed. 

Lol - we don't even know if there will be a cold spell, let alone when it will end.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

ECM T120, pulling away to east, but a little further north than I’d like:

F24C71C6-2BD7-4F0B-B44B-F8CAB768854C.thumb.gif.9b7393e9685fbd8316453801c62ffb85.gif

image.thumb.png.0d0951f19e3b52b5cd8d87b31fb501f5.png

Cold enough Mike and still plenty of time for a correction S/SE

• Like 1

Posted

Slightly further north from the ECM which keeps an onshore flow further south whilst a heck of a snow event happens over the northern half of the country. That may sink south further at the run goes on but probably not too much more.

I think the models are coming towards a conclusion (apart from the GFS) for a snow event further north, the cold probably just about making it further south but less snow than further north.

• Like 1