Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - deep cold inbound?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's a busy time right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 

For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
1 minute ago, Kasim Awan said:

In 2010 the models were going for 10-15cm

Quite a large area outdid those totals

Streamers can cover hundreds of square miles

Anyway I agree, best to leave the snow forecast discussion for now

I get both sides of the argument. If we were issuing a formal forecast we wouldn’t say a foot of snow. If people are discussing possibilities in a weather forum based on the expected parameters and past events, then a foot in a few localised places can’t be entirely ruled out, but more likely is a wide expanse of the east seeing in the range of 5-15cm up to Tuesday, localised areas seeing more, with battleground snow taking over from the west Wednesday onwards. 

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

GFS snowfall accumulations initialized on 26th February for 28th Feb midday. Boy were they underestimations @Scott Ingham

image.thumb.png.9f409f7fea23cd649bc3288d6654d8e0.png

Looking back at 2018, this was the GFS snow prediction just before Storm Emma, which  actually produced an offical snow depth on the level of up to 69cm in the east of Ireland and drifts of up to 7 meters in places there due to strong winds.

spacer.png

Edited by radiohead
  • Like 9

Posted
14 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Where did i quote sunday??

I said somewhere in that huge area by tuesday pm??? 

You telling me not one street will hit 30cm in the south east by tuesday pm?

Because i am certain one area will

One area in yorkshire will hit 20cm

One are in the midlands will hit 20cm

I respect your opinion but to ridicule mine is a tad premature in this set up

Forum do me a favour and if you hit any of these amounts by tuesday pm private message me

For the south east. I'm taking a punt that Lenham in mid Kent with a bit of altitude stands a chance of 10 cm

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All extreme weather especially cold and snow!
17 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Me as well, TEITS ( and have liked your posts ever since i started following this thread in 2011). Given the output now, you would have to say no to the GFS, it is just not consistent with itself or with any other signal.  I think you mentioned a couple of days ago that the easterly would be in earlier if it was to happen, well it will happen, and it is in earlier.  Saturday is the start...

I remember it well TEITS.heaviest snow I've ever seen.Will be interesting to see how well the HRes models do in picking up on the convective showers an possible streamers this time round.All eyes will be on the radar from Saturday PM for me.

Edited by Jarrow Posh
  • Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, Paul said:

Come on folks enough of the willy waving, it's not a competition...

My daughter always uses that phase as she works with a load of Middle Aged blokes!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Wow, GFS 18z goes from Blizzard to Bartlett in FI.

I am ignoring it, anything beyond 144 in this set up is chicken fodder.

Andy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
7 minutes ago, radiohead said:

Looking back at 2018, this was the GFS snow prediction just before Storm Emma, which  actually produced an offical snow depth on the level of up to 69cm in the east of Ireland and drifts of up to 7 meters in places there due to strong winds.

spacer.png

At the mouth of the thames. I had 20CM plus.

One shower gave me 5cm, convection will play a big part.

BUT, the MSLP was signifcantly lower in 2018 at the same. Judging snow calls this far out is only going to lead to anger and tears. Best thing to do is just observe.

• Like 4

Posted
10 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

In 2010 the models were going for 10-15cm

Quite a large area outdid those totals

Streamers can cover hundreds of square miles

Anyway I agree, best to leave the snow forecast discussion for now

Some of the comments about streamers etc,ect are spot on. posted in here a few years back and JH can confirm, midnight 2cms, 6.30am we had 35cm everywhere, 42cm on back yard

and in the garden topped out at 56cm, whilst in Chesterfield 10 miles NE there was 10 to15cm , JH said Donny area had 5 to 10, whilst in Derby City 5cm. 

It seems a Humber streamer set up and once in land a NNE wind directed it over this area. The band of ppn was only30 miles wide but kept on giving. When streamers get going they are magnificent, the current models show plenty of scope for these,.

it was December 1st sons birthday, I told him it was a rare thing that schools would be shut on 1st Dec because of snow (cannot remember year but will look at archive charts)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells

GFS 18z looks pretty good to me - yes the HP fetch turns milder after a while but that troublesome low in a weeks time gets wiped out by the block and we get dumped on in the process... 

• Like 3

Posted
33 minutes ago, TEITS said:

Sometimes you need to use instinct and experience rather than simulated models. I have a very good idea of snowfall distribution across my area under the conditions suggested by the models for next week. Never forget how in the 80s an E,ly brought 1ft of snow in Peterborough in under 2hrs from a band of snow showers.

At times we can become too dependant on computer models. For example I just knew the GFS was way off with its handling of the low for this weekend. At one stage it even had the low move NW to Iceland against the huge block to our N. Instantly I knew this was wrong.

Yes TEITS and is just 20 miles South had about 3 inches. Incredible difference in 20 miles. Streamers and showers impossible to predict, just now watching. How do you average it out over a region I ask?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!
14 minutes ago, That ECM said:

Someone will definitely post 40cm depth cause most can’t measure snow depth and bend the measure

Well, we need another 7 cm then....We have had snow on the ground since 23rd December. ! Models from now on showing streamers and instability for many on the eastern side of the UK. Looking at how it will pan out....up here we will experience higher pressure from Monday/ Tuesday so that will kill or suppress shower activity and allow winds to calm. Expect severe frosts/ Ice Days where this happens over snowfields

• Like 4

Posted

GFS op not without GEFS support and doing what a cluster of perturbations has been doing for a number of runs now.

980971666_Screenshot2021-02-04at23_29_56.thumb.png.c105b95682502943319d86868e1fc659.png

Just incredible the amount of scatter still there for southern england, a 9.5°C range at T60. Probably represents both the fine margins involved in regards to the position of the low as well as the GFS's inability to handle it.

1 hour ago, Eastbourneguy said:

Meanwhile, over the pond...

JjWCYOB.png

Back to the UK... 3/4 days of a potent easterly followed by war with the Atlantic. I don't think anyone can ask for too much more!

ps: For cold and snow lovers anyway!

Lol - -36c 850s at the same latitude at Rome pretty much..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

Can someone explain what are "streamers" and "sliders"? As i see them mentioned a lot in here. Thankyou. 
I'm more of a summer person than a winter person so i don't know these words when following winter charts. 

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

Can someone explain what are "streamers" and "sliders"? As i see them mentioned a lot in here. Thankyou. 
I'm more of a summer person than a winter person so i don't know these words when following winter charts. 

A streamer is a replenishing line of showers coming from the same initial disturbance out at sea (the North Sea in this case) often creating near constant barrages of precipitation for areas in their line of sight (in this case an East to West line across the country). They can be extremely localised though compared to a low pressure system which generally has a wider area. 

• Like 6

Posted

Remember that the surface winds don't follow the isobars they are always directed a few degrees of the compass left. So there for the wind will be rather more north east  and north/North East than some may think

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

A snow streamer  is  heavy, localised snowfall that occurs when cold winds move over relatively warmer water

A slider is when a low pressure hits a high pressure block and slides down the block or goes under completely

Edited by Battleground Snow
  • Like 2

Posted
43 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

Wow, GFS 18z goes from Blizzard to Bartlett in FI.

I am ignoring it, anything beyond 144 in this set up is chicken fodder.

Andy

This type of thing is in the ensemble spread though, believe it or not. East Anglia would go from 17 F to 17 C in 4 days! (Perhaps not many will agree with me but I'd quite like that )

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
22 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

A few have beat me to it, but yes, a streamer is almost like a train of showers in a concentrated area, which can then alter relative to wind direction.

A Thames streamer affects central London, Heathrow, Slough, Reading on a direct easterly. N Kent, South London, Surrey and Hants, even down to the Solent/IOW out into the Channel on an ENE flow, and then North London, S Herts, Bucks on an ESE direction (rarer than the former). 

A slider is an area of low pressure that elongates against a block of cold or high pressure and sinks away usually SE from initially heading east. A front of snow that is stagnant is usually the result 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
8 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

Sliders - A low pressure system that travels under a block, usually N or NE. Cold air is usually in place and as the mild air makes inroads usually leads to heavy snowfall upon the front edge.

Streamers - A continous area of shower activity that goes penetrates deep into the country that due to winds changing very little will lead to long amount of time under precip. In Easterlies they have been responsible for large totals due to heavy showers over many hours.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
2 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

Yes, hi @38.7°C, i will try!  Streamers are lines of convective snow activity like storms in summer, exactly the same rules apply - a temperature differential , caused by convection, but in winter is convection because of a warm sea under very very cold air ( as will be the case by the weekend).  They form lines similar to squall lines in the summer. 

A slider is an Atlantic low that instead of going across the UK, or Scotland, instead slides under a high pressure cell and goes south of the UK. 

All these things are in play at the moment..... 

• Like 1