Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - deep cold inbound?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's a busy time right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 

For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
4 minutes ago, weirpig said:

The only concern i have  and to be fair its not really that a big deal   but if the uppers are so low  we get that  alpine type powdry snow   which in my opinion is bloody awful.  You can have a foot of the stuff and the ground is clear  but up the corner of some terrace house it upto the upstairs bathroom. 

with a gradual cool down, there will probably be a very thick layer of snow already on the ground before any powder snow arrives, possibly 2 days worth 
, oh and powder snow in the wind is beautiful and makes you really feel like you are part of the north pole

• Like 7

Posted
3 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

The south west will hopefully benefit after tuesday during a battleground period. Its very hard for the south west to do as well as the east in a south easterly

A south easterly can be quite decent re snow for the Bristol area.

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, weirpig said:

I think we are in danger here of going a tad OTT   im sure there will be places that receive some snow  and im sure those eastern areas  may well get around those values.   but all of those regions  bordering on a foot of snow?.    highly unlikley 

Its obviously not every single town is it.

When the met office put out a warning for a county or two they also know some areas will miss out but i think at least one location in each of those area will hit between those amounts.

It wouldnt surprise me dropping into each one of those regionals to find one poster to hit between the freshholds by wednesday 12am.

I never said widespread? But i honestly think a big swathe of the eastern portion of this country will hit at least 20cms

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Prior to the February 2009 snow event, they were predicting 10-15 cm. South of London was quite widely in excess of 20-25cm.

Yep  some areas could do  great.   but a vast swath of the country  under a foot of snow?.   bear grills would be running for cover. 

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, weirpig said:

The only concern i have  and to be fair its not really that a big deal   but if the uppers are so low  we get that  alpine type powdry snow   which in my opinion is bloody awful.  You can have a foot of the stuff and the ground is clear  but up the corner of some terrace house it upto the upstairs bathroom. 

As for some of the snow depth predictions in this thread I think - quite understandably - that some people are going into hype overdrive. 

There's absolutely no evidence suggesting totals of a foot of snow widely in the SE/EA. I doubt we'll even see that locally. 

I imagine the average falls in favoured areas will be closer to GFS - up to 15cm.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
7 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

There's a difference between what we could expect vs what is likely to happen

If we plotted a histogram of probabilities of outcome vs severity of that outcome I would say your prediction sits at 30% on the probability axis which is conservative territory

I'm going with 50% atm which is more > 20cm quite wildey

Eh? If I go out in the rain what I could expect is to get wet and what is likely to happen is I will get wet. love your posts and detail. This one was just a ramp.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

I honestly have no idea what the snow totals will be but what I do know from experience is that in every decent/severe cold spell snow amounts where I live anyway have always been underplayed. 2010 was the best example of this ,happened repeatedly 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Seems to me a few need to cut back on the old G & T's, looking beyond 3 days and estimating depths of snowfall is a little premature.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

I share this POV tbh, as we've seen 6-8" from 12 hours of a flow with say 1.5x more instability in 2009

The upcoming flow > lasts say 36 hours at 1x the instability

12 hours x 1.5 intensity = 18 units. 18 / 7.5 inches = 2.4 units to an inch

Upcoming flow > 36 hours x 1 intensity = 36 units. 36 units / 2.4 = 15 inches

Yeah exactly that is my exact thinking i think well see the hi res firm up soon om this

2 minutes ago, That ECM said:

Eh? If I go out in the rain what I could expect is to get wet and what is likely to happen is I will get wet. love your posts and detail. This one was just a ramp.

Better rephrased as what you'd expect vs what could happen

You expect to get wet but you could slip and fall

Don't discount slipping

It's basic statistics but important when analyzing what could happen in this set up

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Thanks 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

A south easterly can be quite decent re snow for the Bristol area.

I cant disagree and this looks likely tuesday i just see nearer 5-10cm before you get hammered thursday 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Battleground Snow said:

Huge scatter on the GFS at 162 almost 17 degree range = GFS struggling to resolve the outcome...

It's probably it's biggest weakness. Atlantic being too progressive v a cold block, amplified by how cold the block and how big the low is.

gfs-london-gb-515n-0e (1) (5).jpeg

Wow, not often you see a scatter like that!

• Like 2

Posted

I think a few favoured eastern spots could see close to a foot but more widely it will be 10-15cm, maybe some largish patches up to 20cm. Reducing to 5-10cm for central areas, and 0-5cm for western areas. More over high ground and less in sheltered spots. Highest amounts in unsheltered areas prone to streamers.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, Nick L said:

And for every snow event suggested where totals exceeded what was forecast, I will show you an example where totals were lower than expectations. It's not a reliable form of forecasting.

Agreed - but to rule it out at this range is taking a risk. Things could upgrade quite easily.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Huge scatter on the GFS at 162 almost 17 degree range = GFS struggling to resolve the outcome...

It's probably it's biggest weakness. Atlantic being too progressive v a cold block, amplified by how cold the block and how big the low is.

gfs-london-gb-515n-0e (1) (5).jpeg

This makes no sense, why is there such significant scatter only 3 days out? Clearly has lost the plot

• Like 1

Just now, Djdazzle said:

Agreed - but to rule it out at this range is taking a risk. Things could upgrade quite easily.

3 minutes ago, Nick L said:

And for every snow event suggested where totals exceeded what was forecast, I will show you an example where totals were lower than expectations. It's not a reliable form of forecasting.

Localizations from streamers & too low of an intensity in forecast is only a real issue in unstable convective flows, not so much with fronts. So streamers & shower set ups more regularly outdo forecasts.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

I cant disagree and this looks likely tuesday i just see nearer 5-10cm before you get hammered thursday 

Not sure what my location can expect at this range but I suspect the best chance for significant snow will be later next week, although I'm sure there will be some early in the week, but probably nothing like the potentials for the south east?  Still all to play for....

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Yes - rather over excited 

widely 5/10 cms up the eastern side of England ....locally 15/20 cms, especially in coastal counties 

But those 5/10 cms could easily end up 2/5 cms .....that’s just how snow is .....

Locally is a figure spoken about.

The numbers i throw out arent wide spread and werent suggested as but ill be surprised if one poster from all those areas hasnt hit 20cm or 30cm in the soutb east by tuesday pm

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Evening all☺️

firstly i would just like to comment on the PPN,there is no way of telling how much snow we will likely to see on the ground from this easterly until it has settled,...fact,you have to take in to consideration what troughs might there be in the flow and not everywhere will see these streamers,the models will not pick these out yet and they won't take into account the convective state of these,SST'S is another factor with the differential in temps and uppers

as for the models,great runs again today and if more of an upgrade again today

the latest gefs ens gets my area down to -10.8c on the 8th Feb,that is pretty good going.London not bad at -8.7c.

Untitled.thumb.png.a243f826aee389bb059d3ff6f27c1da7.png1641546777_Untitled1.thumb.png.da7d3c6a0ca9629209aa67d0528e4d89.png

• Like 6