Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - deep cold inbound?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's a busy time right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 

For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
31 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Another thing to note is the ukmo and ecm have a bit more amplification around eastern states at 144 hours which helps disrupt the trough a bit more!!the gfs is much flatter for the same time period!!

My main concern is the latest Metoffice weekend forecast which is showing potential rain for the far southeast for Sunday, so it doesn't look like they're discounting the GFS12z scenario ATM?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
Just now, Don said:

My main concern is the latest Metoffice weekend forecast which is showing potential rain for the far southeast for Sunday, so it doesn't look like they're discounting the GFS12z scenario ATM?

Last one in this .. then the models.. those graphics will raise n drop as each run b4 engagement... we’ll leave this now aye....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
7 minutes ago, Weather vane said:

Apologies for the ignorance. but I often see reference to Exeter. Is that where the met office is based? And if so, where can you get the Exeter 'comments' ?

long-range-forecast.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Our long range forecast (which is updated on a daily basis) provides an indication of how the weather might change, or be different from normal across the whole UK.

Posted
Just now, Don said:

Cannot discount the gfs scenario what so ever!!its been just as resolute as the other in regards to that low on sunday!!ecm is about to come out in 15 mins and we will get a better idea hopefully!!the 06z was very similar to the gfs for sunday!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

GFS 12z ensembles once again show lots of scatter (i'm talking 7th-11th.) If the Operational had gone towards the cold side rather than the milder side the posts in the forum would be more positive in terms of cold prospects continuing, however because the clustering is spread, confidence in either outcome would be the same.

GFS suite looks to be edging in too much less cold air into the south east quadrant and this is making the LONDON ensembles skew the overall picture.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Cannot discount the gfs scenario what so ever!!its been just as resolute as the other in regards to that low on sunday!!ecm is about to come out in 15 mins and we will get a better idea hopefully!!the 06z was very similar to the gfs for sunday!!

True, but I suppose my main concern with the GFS is what it does later in the run!

Edited by Don

Posted
11 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

Points of note via the raws: 1 concentrate on Saturday >Tuesday!   2: assume everything beyond them time params are pie in the sky. : 3 dissmiss all precipitation data charts until 24hrs out of notions. 4: expect a rollercoaster ride until saturdays 12z suites. 5 ; and the most important..let the flow@easterly incursion actually be Door  knocking b4 looking for possible routes of breakdown,to herald the return of bk to basics... take these into consideration ... and you’ll save yaself pulpatations and unnecessary greif!!!

When ever  new thread is created we usually have a introduction blurb - can we have this for the next thread please Mods?

• Like 1

Posted

Yeh dont think am too concerned with what ecm shows before 144 hours but more thereafter!!we need that disruption to continue in the atlantic from the 00z!!

Edited by sheikhy

Posted

GFS with different Synoptics on tracking of Atlantic lows and keen to raise temperatures

with the Atlantic taking command and northern blocking collapsing.GEM ICON UKMO 

all keeping the U.K. in the cold air to the end of their runs except possibly the very far south coast.

A long cold very cold spell looks on the cards.

• Like 4

Posted

Quick question, ive noted GEM always has colder 850 temps compared to the gfs...is this factored into verification stats...and any ideas why?

Edited by KTtom

Posted
8 minutes ago, sunnijim said:
long-range-forecast.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Our long range forecast (which is updated on a daily basis) provides an indication of how the weather might change, or be different from normal across the whole UK.

Ha, ha, I read those nearly every day; the mythical 'Exeter' now uncloaked (for me !)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
4 minutes ago, KTtom said:

Quick question, ive noted GEM always ha scolder 850 temps compared to the gfs...is this factored into verification stats...and any ideas why?

The model diagnosis -prognosis and overall performance are evaluated @500 geopotential height....edit; perhaps another valid reason to take 850 hpas as a guide.. not a promise... as some do

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

The GFS to be blunt is a bit of a shocker and rapidly goes downhill as it allows the PV in Canada to phase with Atlantic shortwave energy , this then feeds energy into that and you see the pattern becomes more progressive .

I hate to use the word shocker when there will still be some snow but really not a good run in terms of extending the cold .

49 minutes ago, Keefo said:

GFS 12z only one run. There will be no doubt subtle changes in either direction between now and the weekend. Keeping us all occupied though!!!

To be fair though, the GFS has pretty much consistently shown the end of the cold-snap-that-hasn’t-started-yet next Thursday for a few runs now. There was a hint on the 0z of the low not being so deep and perhaps elongating and sliding under the block. 

So it’s not one run or any more of a shocker than it was yesterday at the same time. 

However as we all know the GFS has a tendency to overblow lows in the Atlantic and they often weaken as the timeframe gets closer, and if that happens I don’t fancy it pushing the cold away as easily. 

Intriguing ECM coming up!

• Like 3

Posted
46 minutes ago, kold weather said:

UKMO has big time upgraded the snow threat on Sunday, looks similar to the GFS but no warm sector to speak of over the SE:

us_model-en-999-0_modgbr_2021020412_66_4855_83.thumb.png.e304f6dc0e3dec1dd8576b42619b9593.png

5-10cms across the SE, 15cms N.Kent and Suffolk.

@nick sussex that run is about the worst possible way to evolve out of the pattern. If its going to go like that, may as well have that first low further north so we can get snow out of that!

Maybe its me... but that has mm, Kold.. Not cm ??

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

To be fair though, the GFS has pretty much consistently shown the end of the cold-snap-that-hasn’t-started-yet next Thursday for a few runs now. There was a hint on the 0z of the low not being so deep and perhaps elongating and sliding under the block. 

So it’s not one run or any more of a shocker than it was yesterday at the same time. 

However as we all know the GFS has a tendency to overblow lows in the Atlantic and they often weaken as the timeframe gets closer, and if that happens I don’t fancy it pushing the cold away as easily. 

Intriguing ECM coming up!

Well it’s 4 models at the moment Vs Gfs 12 for the low next week. I personally think it will track south. Let’s see what ECM says! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Im hoping for an Atlantic undercut at day 6-7 on ECM.... With a southern blizzard ensuing that dumps lots of snow, but simultaneously draws in -15 850s to the east just to keep everyone as happy as possible..... we can but dream

T24 and we are off....

spacer.png

Edited by chris55
  • Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Don said:

To be fair a number of models have skirted with sleety spells in the very far SE, such as ARPEGE. I cannot imagine with the uppers forecast that anywhere except maybe Deal / Margate / Dover will be in that situation for too long, and it must be fairly likely the whole of the country will be in snow-friendly conditions for most or all of the Sunday to Wednesday period.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
2 minutes ago, DAVE_ALLEN said:

1mm precipitation = 1cm snow (approximately)

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, DAVE_ALLEN said:

Your correct, but remember thats a 6hrs snapshot, theres plenty either side believe me. Also remember, we probably have a ratio around 8:1, maybe a touch higher? So 1mm equals probably 0.8cms.

The snow depth is between 5-10cms for the even, with a small region of 15cms for .Kent and Suffolk. Take a look at weather.us, it has the run on there.

• Thanks 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, Don said:

I posted this in the SE thread, but out of 82 seperate operational and ensemble members that weren't GFS/ensembles that I looked at earlier today on the 00z suite, only 7 were as warm as the GFS run is for the far SE.

The odds are very low, and 4 out of those 7 were GEM - of which the 12z GEM is now only 3 runs...

Not impossible mind you, but I think its probably more chance of it being too far east as a percentage on the overall suite.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, KTtom said:

Quick question, ive noted GEM always has colder 850 temps compared to the gfs...is this factored into verification stats...and any ideas why?

The GEM had a problem under-estimating 850's a few years ago which was supposedly fixed,but it still appears to be struggling in that department.

cor_day6_T_P850_G2NHX.thumb.png.eb9e93fa8073e4084ee54b651b9bdc09.png

• Like 2