Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - deep cold inbound?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's a busy time right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 

For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
7 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

You're not wrong!

image.thumb.png.04dea627bcaafd808e9a19e62fa84a63.png

This is what's at stake next week. If the Atlantic incursion is just right, some areas could see 10-12 inches of snow.

Does that include crewe?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summer. Snowy Winter.

That GEM run is beautifully bonkers. 

• Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, londonblizzard said:

Short 0Z GFS london ensembles until wedneday:

1589191728_Screenshot2021-02-04at04_43_23.thumb.png.5cff8673a23238a5db41840a6e78bd68.png

The op milder than the average for sunday to tuesday. Similar to 18z, a good cluster still in -10 to -12 region.

Further on at 168, there is definitely a trend to extend this cold spell, can see the split where some members blow up the low, still a very cold cluster option too.

gfs-coventry-gb-525n-15w (17).jpeg

• Like 5

Posted

Even for the South, according to GFS , the min max temperatures, seem to have several days of well below 0 down into the Midlands. 

The low that tracks under the UK on Tuesday, maybe the big Atlantic beast will try and do the same thing on Thursday.. is it a possibility ? Is it also possible that Thursdays low is a bit overcooked ?

• Like 1

Posted

A much more potent GEFS mean for T120, look at the extra strength to the shower activity in the North Sea, spreading right accross North England too!! 
Another day longevity to the cold too compared to the last run, better slider opportunities late next week with a slowler wash out of the cold air. Something tells me upgrades to the length of the cold spell will be a constant feature ❄️❄️❄️

BFE2AB97-3BDF-42A4-A089-F86427178CAA.png

2FFAC42A-D270-46A5-94E0-577D3FAF24A4.png

F799C1B5-8039-46F5-ACF3-9FC2A9FB4578.png

0EDB085A-A1ED-4ADD-B638-D4687DC6C280.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 9

Posted
1 minute ago, ancientsolar said:

Even for the South, according to GFS , the min max temperatures, seem to have several days of well below 0 down into the Midlands. 

The low that tracks under the UK on Tuesday, maybe the big Atlantic beast will try and do the same thing on Thursday.. is it a possibility ? Is it also possible that Thursdays low is a bit overcooked ?

You would imagine it would be weaker at the time, but the depth of cold coming out of America is immense. Will be fascinating to see ECM s take on it

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, ancientsolar said:

Yes i think this is possible. Check out the UKMO for wednesday, pretty south:

UW144-21.thumb.GIF.8016a797f9749921f12ab0df50978756.GIFUW144-7.thumb.GIF.ea85c4de8bf9386993d29ba9c58ecef1.GIF

• Like 1

Posted

Could be an historic blizzard  next week with low pressure attempting to push in from the SW and coming up against bitterly cold air over the UK

Doubt any model has it anywhere near correct yet.. best model watching since Feb 2018

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, londonblizzard said:

Yes i think this is possible. Check out the UKMO for wednesday, pretty south:

UW144-21.thumb.GIF.8016a797f9749921f12ab0df50978756.GIFUW144-7.thumb.GIF.ea85c4de8bf9386993d29ba9c58ecef1.GIF

that looks pretty amazing,. I won't be surprised if the meto put a UK wide early yellow warning up soon, 
Little Siberia  for us! 

P.S the uppers in that same deep low,. have uppers like that made it to the UK from the atlantic? 

Posted

I’m sure these figures are underplaying the shower activity off the North sea, but pretty widespread snow, and deep in many places.

I feel we have a stinking ECM about to rope out!! 

4DF624D6-0B2E-43CE-A6AB-03B39468EDDB.gif

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

I’m sure these figures are underplaying the shower activity off the North sea, but pretty widespread snow, and deep in many places.

I feel we have a stinking ECM about to rope out!! 

4DF624D6-0B2E-43CE-A6AB-03B39468EDDB.gif

does the snow depth chart include potential snow drifts? or is this assuming theres no wind?

Posted
4 minutes ago, ancientsolar said:

does the snow depth chart include potential snow drifts? or is this assuming theres no wind?

No drifts and I believe no convection taken into account - streamers could double some of these figures!!

They are inherently inaccurate though, and just a guide to the possible!! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
22 minutes ago, Malcolm Edwards said:

I noticed most of cornwall miss out on the snow. Is there a chance it could be corrected? 

All depends on the low coming in to the sw. The track of this will be important to who gets what and it’s to far out to know yet.

01CED1D2-756E-407C-857F-F9F354CAD863.gif

921C3B77-3546-4F0E-B5DE-A341DCC59E3E.png

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 4

Posted

Great start to the morning

*gfs op has better breakdown, slower and snowier, better angle of attack from the atlantic.

*ukmo is very good two. 144h on latest 00z run is better than yesterdays ECM at same day.

Let's hope the next ECM coming out soon can give us 3/3 this morning 

GFS

694262509_GFSOPEU00_186_1(1).thumb.png.d1b4fee96202af269d671cbb08747c89.png

UKMO

1453929168_UKMOPEU00_144_1(2).thumb.png.978655ef6abee2b56a0ca8e43a3b1063.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Well it’s nailed on that next week could be the most wintry period since the beast and potentially 2013

There is cross model agreement for this - clearly distribution of snow is up for grabs but I would think it might be wise to get a fully stocked fridge before the end of the weekend 

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, kev238 said:

Well it’s nailed on that next week could be the most wintry period since the beast and potentially 2013

There is cross model agreement for this - clearly distribution of snow is up for grabs but I would think it might be wise to get a fully stocked fridge before the end of the weekend 

I'm liking UKMO for 144 in terms of mid week (next), key ingriedient is high pressure being maintained to disruts the Atlantic low, GEM is great for this, ECM just about ok, but we don't want the football low of last nights 18z...here is UKMO, tomorrows will be fascinating viewing I feel, especially for those who miss out on th eeasterly..

UKMOPEU00_144_1.png

• Like 1