Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - deep cold inbound?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's a busy time right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 

For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
54 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

The latest gefs ens get the mean below -10 here,i am going to put the beers outside this weekend

ens_image.thumb.png.d2f80c6e0b5b3834e31621f380444d52.png

London is nae bad either getting down to -8.

1540233651_ens_image(1).thumb.png.0fb0789048ceff1bc52efeeabf7d8138.png

Look at the small cluster pushing uppers towards -15 7/8th. We saw the last easterly uppers move from -5 to -8 as we got within 72 hours. Can we squeeze deeper cold from this easterly? Are 850s being under estimated? 

• Like 8

Posted
45 minutes ago, Cloud 10 said:

96 and 120 fax charts are out.

There are many troughs.

fax96s.thumb.gif.f10296b4f4cc6ab4645aed183015bb12.giffax120s.thumb.gif.6ffdd5d6fa602d528a89a4a8cacb3d99.gif

I would have thought the 528 line would be much further south?

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Interesting little thing I've noted on the GFS ensembles which are still flip-flopping all over the place.

The reason why they are trending colder again is quite a few of them are pushing that low much further east and weaker, which allows ironically us to go back to a cleaner unstable easterly flow.

It'd be funny after all this drama about the LP if it does end up going further east and stays away from the UK!

There does seem to be a trend SE with the frontal shield over Sunday today though, so perhaps thats not impossible.

Noticed after seeing so many flat line around -15 will we arrive at the narnia charts of 4 days ago full circle???

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Saturday's fax chart 12z at 72 hrs v's 00z 84...

fax72s.thumb.gif.95f33ef5cdcd6ca78dddefa0d62060d5.giffax84s.thumb.gif.c7a20ad8d120135223bedcda814334e1.gif

KEEP THE UPGRADES COMING!!!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

It always makes me laugh when weather presenters have to look all serious when they’re talking about disruptive snow . When I know at the same time coldies  in the UK are dancing around the living room in joy ! There’s normally no such thing as too much snow in our world , although I was a bit concerned a few weeks back .

I

Show me a weather presenter that dances around on live TV in fits of joy when announcing life is going to be severely disrupted by extreme UK weather?  I think they'll get at least one complaint if they did.  I remember in February 1991 they all had serious faces while announcing a "grim outlook - prepare for prolonged heavy snow".  

But don't worry I'll be doing the conga to Susan Powell in my living room in the next few days. 

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

Show me a weather presenter that dances around on live TV in fits of joy when announcing life is going to be severely disrupted by extreme UK weather?  I think they'll get at least one complaint if they did.  I remember in February 1991 they all had serious faces while announcing a "grim outlook - prepare for prolonged heavy snow".  

But don't worry I'll be doing the conga to Susan Powell in my living room in the next few days. 

Tbf having watched the met Office forecast for the next 10 days, most of the UK hasn't got anything to worry about.

It's only really the East that looks affected. It made me smile when he said it won't be as cold as the BFTE in 2018. Well considering it got no lower than around minus 3 in Stoke during that, I would hope for a little more excitement. 

Now 2010 when we got minus 15s most nights would at least give us up here something to remember, even if we get no Snow. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Icon is bonkers at 168.

image.thumb.png.3d1e16163221315905a5c402ab485d06.png

Deep cold in place over us and that bowling ball low from the 12z was disrupted

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Latest ICON seems to show a better angle coming in from Atlantic with better heights to the north between Iceland and Greenland as per Met office update last night.This would prolong cold spell at least one more day as uppers of -12 still on the Wednesday and cold entrenched.Maybe a start of a trend that Scott Ingram alluded to last night?Anyway that is miles off yet and let’s hope we can enjoy nationwide snow from Saturday night onwardsCould start to get very busy on Regionals from Saturday night.

stay safe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Hotspur62 said:

Latest ICON seems to show a better angle coming in from Atlantic with better heights to the north between Iceland and Greenland as per Met office update last night.This would prolong cold spell at least one more day as uppers of -12 still on the Wednesday and cold entrenched.Maybe a start of a trend that Scott Ingram alluded to last night?Anyway that is miles off yet and let’s hope we can enjoy nationwide snow from Saturday night onwardsCould start to get very busy on Regionals from Saturday night.

stay safe

"Nationwide Snow" its only the East getting any. .

Going off the Met earlier 75% of the UK population won't get a ruddy flake .

Although I don't mind, providing we at least get decent minus double digits.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
13 minutes ago, Andypvfc said:

Tbf It could happen for "Most areas" especially with an elevated area such as your part of the world, away from any possible Mild sector too, put it this way- the west is IMO probably more likely to see snow from the coming Easterly set up than the SE does from Westerly originated bands of precip off the Atlantic as we've had all winter without a flake settling. Plus being later into winter convection will be greater and the airs coming from the best source available so likely any precip won't be just "sleet" or rain as again we've had all winter from the NW and West.

Hopefully the whole country gets in on the act even locations such as yours which luckily for you have already had some decent snowfalls this winter to add to your collection

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Andypvfc said:

Looks like over 75% of the population will get more than a flake by just 96 hours to me

iconeu_uk1-45-96-0 (1).png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

GFS gives EA an absolute pounding with the ‘mild sector’ basically gone.

• Like 6

Posted

UKMO has a small low shortwave in the channel/northern France. Hopefully got some precip! 

Lovely wedge with the Atlantic re amplifying??

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Looks like over 75% of the population will get more than a flake by just 96 hours to me

iconeu_uk1-45-96-0 (1).png

The beers are on me .

Tbf mate, as Kentspur says above North Staffs has done quiet well this winter, so even if we totally missed out, I couldn't complain. 

Although having recently had a Romanian rescue Dog, she is absolutely nuts about Snow, so nice to see her enjoy it, especially when you see what they cruely had to face over there. 

Anyway let's hope we all get a memorable spell. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The Para needs to come with age restrictions. 

image.thumb.png.174e2bd570567c100720da3a1aad08b7.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny Summers/Cold Wintry Winters

Something to keep an eye on is even colder upper air to our east on the GFS at +156 with -12/14 uppers making their way into Scotland.

gfs-0-156.thumb.png.d726d0aebcf6b26033dfaa39f7f62619.pnggfs-1-156.thumb.png.1a963402852c0005d89ca74aebd2d2a9.png

• Like 5