Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - deep cold inbound?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's a busy time right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 

For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, snow, and cold snowy snow
6 minutes ago, Cold Winter Night said:

The snow and cold ultimately isn't directly the result of the SSW, but the pattern that delivers it very likely is.
In tandem with an already weak tropospheric and stratospheric polar vortex, and an MJO that helps too.

Labelling patterns with 100% certainty is not possible, but the least you could say is it is very consistent with patterns that follow SSWs about 35 days after they have happened.

So it is historically consistent with the way models have appeared after such an event then I guess.  Great answer and thank for upping my very amateur knowledge ??

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
1 minute ago, Youcan'tbecirrus said:

I'll be happy to join in with some streamers.

You should be in a good place

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Well just for a little ramp, I present the snowiest ECM ensemble member for the majority of the country I can find out to 6pm on Wednesday:

us_model-en-999-0_modez_2021020312_174_4855_108_m30.thumb.png.14b58d400b4c070bed7c463e7ecfc939.png

Widespread 15-20cms, and several areas above a 1ft!

Lets get the prayer beads out and pray for this one to be a winner. Even I manage a sweet 23cms!

Are there many members that prolong the cold out to day 10? 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
22 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Hard to see how we deflect that Atlantic barrage without keeping some heights to our immediate N or NE

Seeing as the breakdown is at day 7, Im thinking we may need a few more runs to check and nail down the evolution of the outcome. I'm not discounting a quick return to a more Atlantic type, but it'll take a lot more runs until we can be confident.

• Like 2

Posted
35 minutes ago, Eastbourneguy said:

SjaJGPp.jpg

The low is ever to slightly too far north for coastal counties in the south on the 12Z ECM according to the raw output. But it's go time 30miles or so inland!

Been like that all winter! Actually most winters...

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
18 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

I really can’t see this breakdown scenario any time soon.  I know the models show it, they always do, but it will correct.  The background signals portend a longer period of cold as per my post above, that might or might not come to pass, but this is due to the SSW, and there has been close to another one since, so maybe weather on the ground will be driven by this for 4 weeks or more...those saying it is a 5 day affair are wrong in ,my opinion, but we will see...

Even if it were just a 5 day event - five days of bitterly cold and snowy weather? I’d be over the moon with that. A December 2010 style extended big freeze is exceptionally rare in this country. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
40 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

It’s generally like that ..... understandable because that’s what the models are showing 

Never understood why people look forward to a snow to rain event ....even if it stays as snow the positive Dp’s that follow mean the snow so. becomes slushy and drip drip drip

the renewed easterly delivers some troughs and snow plus more to follow ....

It's not a question of looking forward to it as such, but if you live in a region that gets next to nothing from an easterly, you'll welcome the chance for snow even if it will drip drip afterwards. Also these frontal situations can lead to significant snowfall before the thaw sets in.

Edited by Bricriu

Posted

hi guys, great to read the positive vibes regarding the potential upcomming cold spell, we all know though that if it can go wrong it will go wrong so what potential flies in the ointment if any are the models showing that could scupper the uk getting the cold in? 

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
12 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Well just for a little ramp, I present the snowiest ECM ensemble member for the majority of the country I can find out to 6pm on Wednesday:

us_model-en-999-0_modez_2021020312_174_4855_108_m30.thumb.png.14b58d400b4c070bed7c463e7ecfc939.png

Widespread 15-20cms, and several areas above a 1ft!

Lets get the prayer beads out and pray for this one to be a winner. Even I manage a sweet 23cms!

Allow me some imbysm here,but no thanks! I have a particular set of requirements for snowfall on the Sussex coast and that scenario ain't one of them!

Imo highly unlikely to come off anyway,as has been said already,the blocking is being underestimated tonight and probably will be for a couple more days.

Edited by sunnijim
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ECM 144 and T240 mean:

1C01DEDF-76F5-448C-B703-D0F694F76495.thumb.png.eaaa5eea31a1fcb3f6ffc94913d1d105.png9DB72449-BDFE-4FEE-9FFA-18F561F31B00.thumb.png.78819d262fab09ffc91599f68b350055.png

T144 is what we know, but the signal is lost in the T240, so I looked at the uncertainty, the spread, and it is massive, and everywhere, the models just don’t know what to do beyond day 6. Apart from the high lat block regions of course...

445CC389-8AF4-4DD9-86CC-46DB8B77ACE6.thumb.png.0927e1c4726086022f8057b97cb9b9f1.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
48 minutes ago, mbrothers said:

Suddenly this thread had become the ‘when will the cold spell that hasn’t arrived yet breakdown thread’ .

Please let's have a bit of the cold before all discussion on here relates to the breakdown! Goodness,still looking at ever changing charts for the next 4-5 days first.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, DAVE_ALLEN said:

Just imagine.... If this did that  

Screenshot 2021-02-03 at 18.35.44.png

If you look at the 0z ECM from last night it pretty much did that. Alas not on the 12z though.

Edited by Paul_1978

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow !!!!
4 minutes ago, kold weather said:

So remember that ensemble member I couldn't resist showing a short while ago...

Yeah...it gets better!

us_model-en-999-0_modez_2021020312_276_4855_108_m30.thumb.png.08a450aa295e330a1c82ea9cd58ea034.png

Just for reference, the area from Sheffield down to London and across to Bham is 30cms!

Peak depth is around 50cms!

Well, thats my ramp for the day done!!

Oh my, that is just beautiful.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
51 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

This thread is a hoot. 

As night follows day this is the series of events.

Cold spell shows up , models chop and change , panic ensues , models start firming up on the cold then a few chuck in a breakdown a bit too early  , panic then ensues instead of relief that the cold spell might actually land .

No Panic here Nick, just a few charts and some commentary.  

Edited by chris55
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, sparky1972 said:

hi guys, great to read the positive vibes regarding the potential upcomming cold spell, we all know though that if it can go wrong it will go wrong so what potential flies in the ointment if any are the models showing that could scupper the uk getting the cold in? 

Well that risk appears to be diminishing as we are getting closer to the cold arriving.but wrap around from the lows to the South could become an issue in pulling up warmer air from southern Europe this is most likely to affect the southeast.but this is looking not likely currently.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
2 minutes ago, Scandinavian High. said:

Is there any chance of a thames streamer setting up across south London we normally do quite well thanks.

Yes, there is every chance provided there is a sufficient ene/e feed (which there is forecast to be)

• Thanks 1