Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - deep cold inbound?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's a busy time right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 

For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
4 minutes ago, Scandinavian High. said:

Getting interesting now possibly Significant snow in the south Sunday still uncertain north to south..❄️❄️❄️❄️

09F86270-B044-4061-84FD-3A8D70E6FD25.png

8BEED91B-2901-4E9D-813C-0FBBB6688CC6.png

Just need that lot to slip south by 75 miles - not out of the question

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Speedbird said:

Just need that lot to slip south by 75 miles - not out of the question

I think it'll end up further South than that. Looks like a lot of snow to come for all parts of the UK over the next week and beyond.

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Scandinavian High. said:

Getting interesting now possibly Significant snow in the south Sunday still uncertain north to south..❄️❄️❄️❄️

09F86270-B044-4061-84FD-3A8D70E6FD25.png

I wouldn’t worry about that, it’s just a general image to show the risk.  GEFS show almost 100% of ensembles going forward snow in London. High res runs such as UKV below are the best models to keep an eye on for where the streams of showers will set up...

4CA1DE76-F19B-4F71-A8DC-EFEB3F7CBD97.jpeg

11991839-73A0-4D8D-BA69-7BB43626F935.jpeg

9D8C7C31-A6F4-4B55-8D8C-76EF9633CCB4.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Please keep bbc and met outputs in the regionals,MO thread or chat thread guys.Remember this is for model discussion for your own views.

Thank you all.

• Like 6

Posted
47 minutes ago, jimbo36 said:

Anyone know why the ECMWF High Res 0z won't go beyond 000 on WXCHARTS?

Can it be viewed elsewhere?

image.thumb.png.9aa73d1f75db8152f9597bc3097e3a29.png

Must be stuck for some reason....

You can see the 6z and 18z ECMWF here... FWIW looks very similar to the 0z at 72 hrs....

WWW.WEATHERONLINE.CO.UK

Weather for UK, Ireland and the world. Sailing, Marine Weather, Weather maps, radar, satellite, climate, historic weather data, information about meteorology, reports, weather warning.

Edited by Blizzard
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Blizzard said:

Must be stuck for some reason....

You can see the 6z and 18z ECMWF here... 

WWW.WEATHERONLINE.CO.UK

Weather for UK, Ireland and the world. Sailing, Marine Weather, Weather maps, radar, satellite, climate, historic weather data, information about meteorology, reports, weather warning.

Does the 6z and 18z only go up to 72 hours then?

Posted
5 minutes ago, londonblizzard said:

Goes to 90hrs in 1hr increments by the looks of it...  depends on what you can get that isn't behind a paywall  

wxcharts.com gives you it in 3 hr increments for free... which is a bummer when its not working....

WWW.ECMWF.INT

ECMWF is the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts. We are both a research institute and a 24/7 operational service, producing global numerical weather predictions and other data for our Member...

Edited by Blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

You gota laugh at that ukv chart!!!all snow in north sea but as soon as it hits land theres sleet for east anglia and eastern england!!

I think Sat night & early Sunday there still some marginal air around (especially in the south) but by the time it gets to Sunday afternoon the cold from the east has set in and it’s all snow... UKV is known to be stingy with precip amounts so expect it to be a bit more widespread than currently shown ..

A8CB177E-7F3F-472F-98A5-F66EBB6F239E.jpeg

Edited by Tim Bland
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme
2 hours ago, Yarmy said:

Yes, see:

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Meteociel propose le modèle deterministe de ECMWF CEP

ECH1-168.GIF?12

...and the model thread at the time:

WOW talk about a trip down memory lane, i'm going through the archives now, fascinating to read some of the posts and comments and tbh (myself included) we have become such a hardy bunch since then.  Have I really been a member on here for over 10 years !!!! where did the time go !!!! 

• Like 7

Posted
22 minutes ago, londonblizzard said:

Up to 90 hours

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
23 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

That’s the north?!

Exactly what i thought .

Posted
29 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

The low we are watching- and waiting for it move aside- is currently over Ireland  with it's fronts straddling the borders-cold air to the north.

It gradually moves east and absorbs  a secondary wave into it's circulation which has come up from France so maybe this is what you refer to? T00hrs and t48

fax0s.thumb.gif.2078e303a13a7c5354d5a15d1fd40a07.giffax48s.thumb.gif.72c5f25b9a04a140b5e5d81d26120a41.gif

Then we see the low gradually ease away to the position in the southern north sea as shown on the t96/120 fax's,all these from the 00z ukmo run.

fax96s.thumb.gif.ececb98c31adea43bd69e2c8c0c2c4a2.giffax120s.thumb.gif.470f073d27718850ce9ce1e4758bc6be.gif

We can see by day 5 how the easterly cold air is coming south around the rear of the low as it makes way.

I hope that helps.

Appreciate that Phil, always good to learn and in my case that's a lot. If you don't mind me asking the occluded front (I think that's what it is called - line below L1002) as it is spinning anti-clockwise, does that then get pulled on an easterly towards our shores ? and an IMBY question, if that's correct, would that be likely to move north as it does so or sink south ? Thanks again.          

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

As the 12z ICON starts to roll, maybe worth a brief summary of where we’ve come to over the last 24 hours.  Cross model agreement on the cold easterly development since last night’s GFS 18z.  What’s at stake now is the size of the uncertainty envelope next week, and the chances for snow.  I think GFS 6z showed the northern extent to which systems might push into the cold, but, to me, at least, I think it could have been overblowing  the lows on that run.  I’d like to see this northern extent reduced in the 12z suite, and expect it to do so.

Snow looks certain to come from convective showers from the east coast; for midlands and south, from depressions abutting cold air or channel lows - these will take a while to pin down so plenty to look out for.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Day 10

This is why you dont have to panic.  Once we reach the bottom it’s a long way to go to get back above that 30yr average.... 4 or 5 days out at best is all you can really read into for specifics the rest as you can see really is fantasy island and the vortex undergoes a 4th warming event..... long cold spring on the horizon.  The tomatoes will be slow this year

7F129B51-A693-4B43-8075-19BECBF053A0.jpeg

Edited by Day_9
Bits and bobs
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

ECM 06Z Snippet at T+72 (apologies if already posted)

spacer.png

GFS for same timeframe for comparison

spacer.png

Not really sure anything can be gleamed from that other than it looks like the North Atlantic LP is further north on the ECM ?