Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - deep cold inbound?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's a busy time right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 

For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
4 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I'm confused. 

How can that be showing South Westerlies with such low heights pretty much over us?  Cluster 1

The 510dm is just to the North and the whole UK and Ireland in sub 528dm.

Genuinely confused. 

The cluster charts do not show thicknesses - they show 500mb pressure only. For thicknesses, you need a comparison of 1000mb and 500mb charts.

On cluster 1, for instance, a fairly deep trough is shown just to the NW. It's similar to this chart on the GFScontrol, as far as the the N Atlantic area (though slightly shallower low on the cluster 1)

image.thumb.png.4194f6518f00ff24e6525d23839500c9.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves
3 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

Fergie believes the breakdown will be wed-thurs next week 

Yes just seen that low coming up hit south west England possibility snow . I don’t think they will push further north then  go across southern  England snow risks..

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Any news on the 96 hour chart from the 06z ecm?!

Very similar to the 0z run - margins here and there but basically the same.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes
1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

I'd be surprised if the cold lasts much beyond next week...deep cold on our shores rarely lasts beyond 5 days-week, but apparently the SSW warmings continue and yes with such warmth over southern Europe and deep cold to the north there's going to be a big dumping somewhere! Bring it to East Anglia I say

It’s definitely hard but not impossible, such a set up, like we have approaching and in what is still in the heart of winter could easily be extended in duration. Those in the 80s lasted for a least 2 weeks (as I recall), the really lengthy ones like 47 and 63 are for sure, a lot rarer, but again not impossible. I would say, in a world of extremes, we have as much chance seeing this becoming a historical spell of winter weather as we do it lasting just a week for the former 

• Like 3

Posted

Would we be more likely to see upgrades or downgrades from here?

Looking forward to this, good luck to everyone! Despite being in Scotland I haven’t had a single cm lying here since Feb/March 2018 so pretty hopeful

• Like 4

Posted
56 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

One big difference about that failed cold snap Don was the fact the Met office were never on board with it. I remember a met expert being asked on social media why they were not mentioning it...and his replie...was give it time and they will be!! Needless to say they never did,and they was proven correct.

Was this the 2019 spell Matt as I'm sure the Metoffice were on board with the December 2012 non event?  As for next week, I can't get excited as it looks dicey for my location and could end up as virtually a non event.  Not saying this will be the case but too early to get excited.  Too much of a high risk scenario with the Atlantic!  However, if I lived further north  and east I would be very close to celebrating now!

• Like 1

Posted

Looking at the models, should we be concerned about those lows firing in from the Atlantic as the cold is only just starting to get going? Or is the consensus that they're being over blown?

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Malarky said:

Looking at the models, should we be concerned about those lows firing in from the Atlantic as the cold is only just starting to get going? Or is the consensus that they're being over blown?

Yes and who knows .....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Malarky said:

I think they're been overblown. There might be a breakdown in the sw but majority I feel will stay cold. If they slide reinforces the easterlies and or cold.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Malarky said:

These are still in FI - as we know verification of FI charts is poor.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Anyone know why the ECMWF High Res 0z won't go beyond 000 on WXCHARTS?

Can it be viewed elsewhere?

image.thumb.png.9aa73d1f75db8152f9597bc3097e3a29.png

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Malarky said:

They may well bring a breakdown to more marginal, rain/sleet/snow for the south, and theres a good 48-72 hours of healthy snow opportunities for the South before that arrives. The cold could well extend for a day or two beyond that further north with an awful more lot snow.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, kold weather said:

PS- nice rain event for the SE on Monday on the 00z ECM fwiw....again why its important that the low is placed perfectly otherwise that will happen.

Do you not mean the 6Z?

Posted
32 minutes ago, Scandinavian High. said:

Yes just seen that low coming up hit south west England possibility snow . I don’t think they will push further north then  go across southern  England snow risks..

He did suggest that some models might be too progressive in bringing the milder air back in. Their in house models seems confident the milder air won't  win out throughout the UK. So maybe less cold in the south with some significant snowfall to be had before a milder turn. It would be great if the GFS control from last night turned out to be correct!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
51 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

The cold spell now within sight and good agreement at day 5 between the ukmo op and the ecm mean on the 850's coming right down the country.

EDE0-120.thumb.gif.8e773bc1223521a1c38ce793ed0d6ff4.gifUW120-7.thumb.gif.cdf3e4713509bbe2638fe8a25c368da5.gif

The low moving just far enough off the e.anglian coast so that the stiff easterly flow affects pretty much everywhere .

675518685_UE120-21(3).thumb.gif.5f3763d78c2fd73d13722831f4df71d8.gif

Current charts will not yet have a handle of snowfall detail wrt amounts and locations. but i think it's reasonable to expect snow showers coming from the east with every chance of more organised streamers of disturbances being picked up nearer the time.

Now the battleground is further south hopefully all snow loving members will have a chance to join in the fun.

Slightly confused. Didn't the low move out of the south east into France ? The low you mention off east anglian coast is another low or have I lost the plot... which is very likely? Just looking to be educated. All very fascinating that's for sure.     

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Bricriu said:

He did suggest that some models might be too progressive in bringing the milder air back in. Their in house models seems confident the milder air won't  win out throughout the UK. So maybe less cold in the south with some significant snowfall to be had before a milder turn. It would be great if the GFS control from last night turned out to be correct!

That means a battle ground! If we could somehow get the whole country snowy before that battle.. perhaps it would give us an upper edge... and that I guess.. largely depends on if any showers can be blown in far enough on the Easterly wind, a bit of a convergence with some troughs would be perfect

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
14 minutes ago, Don said:

Was this the 2019 spell Matt as I'm sure the Metoffice were on board with the December 2012 non event?  As for next week, I can't get excited as it looks dicey for my location and could end up as virtually a non event.  Not saying this will be the case but too early to get excited.  Too much of a high risk scenario with the Atlantic!  However, if I lived further north  and east I would be very close to celebrating now!

Yes Don,it was that failed ESTLY event when the icon backtracked and all the other models followed suite that very evening..that event was January im sure of it. The high risk high reward scenarios that Atlantic fronts bring would be where we get that significant snowfall risk..But and its a big but,how much inroads would they make against the cold block!! Entrenched cold air is notoriously hard to shift when embedded.If this scenario were to play out we would be looking towards Wales and the Midlands for potential High impact conditions,but it hard to say if this scenario will play out this way,as per the met,the fronts may only make limited inroads into the SW,which would put those areas at risk,especially on the Northern edge..The possibilities are endless and its only me having a speculative punt which I love to do. We get the cold in first and then anythings possible,basically expect the unexpected at short notice.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
2 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Hey???  -  I would put my life on it that you will get more snow than me, and Kent will get absolutely battered.

Look at my emojis , it is tongue in cheek.  I know it’s superb as I’ve been saying.  Let’s hope it continues 

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, ancientsolar said:

That means a battle ground! If we could somehow get the whole country snowy before that battle.. perhaps it would give us an upper edge... and that I guess.. largely depends on if any showers can be blown in far enough on the Easterly wind, a bit of a convergence with some troughs would be perfect

Yep. The more colder upper air we can get entrenched the better for any frontal situations

• Like 1