Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - deep cold inbound?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's a busy time right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 

For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
1 minute ago, MJB said:

I know and we miss out ..................gutted lol

I think bdtp was being a little flippant in a good way

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Bullseye said:

Not sure how this may play at part but how much of a difference is there between -10 TO -12 uppers showing for next week compared to -14 TO -16 like end of Feb/First days of March in beast from east 2018? Would that be enough to have similar temperatures to BFTE?

Ice days would be quite possible mid week if the easterly winds slack off, indeed likely I'd guess in areas with snow cover.

With that being said probably maxes around 1-3c would be more likely for most as the profile isn't *that* cold away from perhaps the far north (its more than cold enough though, especially further north).

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
15 minutes ago, Gonzolio Martinez said:

Is that 'That ECM' that people here refer to?

Yes, see:

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Meteociel propose le modèle deterministe de ECMWF CEP

ECH1-168.GIF?12

...and the model thread at the time:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
20 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Looks like ‘Midlands North’ event

BFTP 

Hey???  -  I would put my life on it that you will get more snow than me, and Kent will get absolutely battered.

• Like 6

Posted
34 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

That's interesting that shows some of the coldest anomalies to the east and south east by the 9th...I wouldn't have thought that browsing through a few of the models and the 850 uppers. Marco P does like a ramp (as he's been doing all this winter).

I’m sorry but I disagree. Marco doesn’t ramp, maybe a little hint now and again but - not ramp.

very professional.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
11 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

I think bdtp was being a little flippant in a good way

So was I lol 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.
19 minutes ago, Man Without Beard said:

Recent ECM ensembles say a bit fat "no" to easterlies in mid Feb - very SWly at 550mb level on the latest clusters:

image.thumb.png.f56d08675bbbf908e723b76f88fec642.png

A slightly different view can give another perspective IMO.

The same clusters from the ECMWF website, showing a progression in these clusters, and a wider view of our part of the hemisphere, contain a little bit more hope.

1146271800_Clusters-EC3feb.thumb.png.6d78583512b169cf030448896ff8ed78.png

Cluster 1 has a bit of Scandi height development, cluster 4 goes on to connect the Azores/West Iberian High to Scandinavia.
It takes just a few tweaks for those SW'lies to switch to NE'lies.
Not saying it will, but it does not take an outrageous change in the output for that to happen.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
34 minutes ago, birdman said:

Should we expect Ice Days from this Easterly and how do the modelled temps fare compared with the previous 2018 BFTE? Are there any similarities? Thanks

Yes big differences at this stage..we won't be seeing -16 uppers during this event..The coldest air to the NE we don't pull in..more like -8 perhaps-10 850s which will deliver the white stuff to many,unless your on the coast or at a very low altitude.

Edit @Cold Winter Night your below sea level...wow you.must have a better view of the fish than what we get at sea world..

Edited by MATTWOLVES
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
14 minutes ago, Cold Winter Night said:

A slightly different view can give another perspective IMO.

The same clusters from the ECMWF website, showing a progression in these clusters, and a wider view of our part of the hemisphere, contain a little bit more hope.

1146271800_Clusters-EC3feb.thumb.png.6d78583512b169cf030448896ff8ed78.png

Cluster 1 has a bit of Scandi height development, cluster 4 goes on to connect the Azores/West Iberian High to Scandinavia.
It takes just a few tweaks for those SW'lies to switch to NE'lies.
Not saying it will, but it does not take an outrageous change in the output for that to happen.

It is clear from the Meto extended update that they don't expect the high pressure to be lasted away like the GFS 06 suggests.

• Like 6

Posted

Would like to see signs of a bit more Longevity in the cold spell starting to appear soon. Otherwise it looks like a 4 / 5 day spell breaking down on Thursday. Let’s hope we see a repeat of the 00z GFS soon... if not it’s still a good spell (especially compared to recent years)  which will deliver a covering for many and i’m sure there are plenty of people in the far north east and Scotland who are sick of snow...just keeping everything crossed for the southern members 32 out of 33 members have snow in London Sunday night / Monday morning ...

0CA62B49-6DB3-47C9-98DE-98AE5401F7E0.jpeg

B88E5796-EDD0-42E6-AB6B-8B252927390F.png

Edited by Tim Bland
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and sunny

P23 from the GEFS illustrate a possible roue to maintain a cold theme.  A slight (and I meant slight!) wedge persists over Iceland, then moves east to Scandinavia, which this migrates back  west over Iceland. This leads to lows sliding underneath and keeping the UK mostly cold with further risk of snow and drawing continental air back in at the end of the run

image.thumb.png.d72d7f4b8f1efb9536074c5efa976ab5.png

image.thumb.png.8f8e1001442c2753579eeb0b61015b1d.png

image.thumb.png.c9c8ec17a66187c87b30ebb1c120ec96.png

image.thumb.png.4912a6d96bfa2d0b04a0e95e4ff188da.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Day 10
Just now, Tim Bland said:

Would like to see signs of a bit more Longevity in the cold spell starting to appear soon. Otherwise it looks like a 4 / 5 day spell breaking down on Thursday. Let’s hope we see a repeat of the 00z GFS soon... if not it’s still a good spell (especially compared to recent years)  which will deliver a covering for many and i’m sure there are plenty of people in the far north east and Scotland who are sick of snow...just keeping everything crossed for the southern members

Don’t worry, the drum has been beating for cold all winter.  And now we have arrived almost at T0.....4/5 days max look ahead from here on in, enjoy as it unfolds 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey and mild!
10 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Yes big differences at this stage..we won't be seeing -16 uppers during this event..The coldest air to the NE we don't pull in..more like -8 perhaps-10 850s which will deliver the white stuff to many,unless your on the coast or at a very low altitude.

Edit @Cold Winter Night your below sea level...wow you.must have a better view of the fish than what we get at sea world..

Thanks Matt. So although this event/setup is fairly rare for our shores we're not talking historic cold or snow at this stage but it has the potential to be significant and memorable at least.

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

From Sunday onwards it will cold enough for snow at all levels.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
7 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Would like to see signs of a bit more Longevity in the cold spell starting to appear soon. Otherwise it looks like a 4 / 5 day spell breaking down on Thursday. Let’s hope we see a repeat of the 00z GFS soon... if not it’s still a good spell (especially compared to recent years)  which will deliver a covering for many and i’m sure there are plenty of people in the far north east and Scotland who are sick of snow...just keeping everything crossed for the southern members

Can we really trust GFS on this though Tim,its already had to be dragged kicking and screaming to the cold snap in the first place. And if we do get an Atlantic push later next week,we have to be looking at the chance of significant snow...High risk high reward scenarios possible here.

Edited by MATTWOLVES
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Can we really trust GFS on this though Tim,its already had to be dragged kicking and screaming to the cold snap in the first place. And if we so get and Atlantic push later next week,we have to be looking at the chance of significant snow...High risk high reward scenarios possible here.

True, but most models (ECM example below) show a retreat north of the cold / snow line. Back to a familiar tale of snow for Scotland and the far north, transient snow midlands north and rain for the south. I’m hopeful that the block puts up more of a fight than currently shown..history tells us this is quite likely...and the lows end up further south with slider potential..need to see more sign of this in the next few days though.. 

D4DE2F2C-16D9-496E-82FD-6540057A63FC.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)
3 minutes ago, on the coast said:

From Sunday onwards it will cold enough for snow at all levels.

Yes, I always like to see -10c @ 850 level to support snow at all levels. Also very dry continental air source with very low dew points. 

Even if your air temp briefly touches 2/3c in the afternoon any ppn will fall as snow and once it’s on the ground there won’t be much thawing, only top ups. 

Dew points from the 00z GFS OP. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
8 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Ecm 06z looking good!!low heading south(black line) and truely cold siberian freezing air heading west (red line)!!.....

Screenshot_20210203-124534_WhatsApp.jpg

Looks like you had the shakes drawing them arrows

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Winter Hill said:

Looks like you had the shakes drawing them arrows

Literally man!!was eating at the time so had to hold the phone and draw the arrows with one hand lol!!

• Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, Man Without Beard said:

Recent ECM ensembles say a bit fat "no" to easterlies in mid Feb - very SWly at 550mb level on the latest clusters:

image.thumb.png.f56d08675bbbf908e723b76f88fec642.png

I'm confused. 

How can that be showing South Westerlies with such low heights pretty much over us?  Cluster 1

The 510dm is just to the North and the whole UK and Ireland in sub 528dm.

Genuinely confused.  Would that not indicate a Northerly?

Edited by mountain shadow
  • Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Can we really trust GFS on this though Tim,its already had to be dragged kicking and screaming to the cold snap in the first place. And if we do get an Atlantic push later next week,we have to be looking at the chance of significant snow...High risk high reward scenarios possible here.

Think ideally ECM/UKMO which are prolonging the cold could be on mark - I believe that’s what MetO believe too.

• Like 1