Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - deep cold inbound?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's a busy time right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 

For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
54 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Here is a summery at 144hrs from the ECM,:

ECMOPUK12_144_2.thumb.png.1831a308dff066e5ea801f7d81eab948.png

Very rough wind flow from the ECM 12z ECM.

Anything above the blue line will have lots of snowfall, especially with several frontal systems wrapping round.

Anything south will see increasingly diminishing returns quite rapidly as the convection dries out. Thats not to to say on the 12z ECM it'd 'dry' BUT its going to be scattered snow showers rather than sustained showers and fronts you see further north.

At least the Atlantic does help the south later down the line.

That chart doesn’t look summery

• Like 2

Posted

The mean is again in this pattern more or less meaningless in determining where a snow event is going to set up this far out.

For example, here is the GFS mean for 120hrs, followed by two members which resemble the mean closely:

GFSP21EU12_120_1.thumb.png.a50aaf2059d7a28db4fe4758ff17ac50.pngGFSAVGEU12_120_1.thumb.png.b409079ef9324983abf11da4833931e5.pngGFSP26EU12_120_1.thumb.png.639c5287f63627d703a8f14511203fe1.png

The mean is in the middle.

On the face of it, both of the ensemble members flanking it fit very neatly into the mean and therefore you'd expect would both share similar outcomes?

Well one has a big rain event for nearly all of England bar the far north. The other has a large snow event for most of Southern England bar maybe the far SE.

Yet they both fit into the mean very well?

This goes to show why just using the mean is pointless, because the mean is effectively hiding alot of very similar, but very different evolving LPs which in this situation makes the difference between a let down, and a very large event for most.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Sancerre.

ECM OP vs. its ENS Mean, GFS Op vs. its GEFS Mean. There's a pattern here that we should recognise when obsessing over detail in Ops runs. N. Wales is IMBY and the Ops show a dusting here. Given the ensemble spreads and likelihood of short-term drama occurring in the ACTUAL weather means I'm not stressed. I suspect we'll all be surprised at what actually happens. Seems another 48 hours is required to nail any level of detail. Great fun!

If the fun stops. Stop. 

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Thats great news for those further south and indeed for all of us imo.

Backs up what recent memory office update saying

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

I’m assuming that MOGREPS is fully onboard with the easterly, as the Met seem confident.

Oh yessssss 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Bartlett High said:

A disappointing night for cold weather fans?? 

Yes, I think so certainly in terms of longevity if not necessarily severity.

All the models are bringing milder air back in by T+240 so that's a 5 day cold spell maximum. I'm struggling to see any model prolonging the cold spell beyond that at this time.

The problem is as the heights in Scandinavia fail and slip SE they stop the trough sliding into Europe and it moves up north over the British Isles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

if you are really unsure of how the output affects your own location then the best place to ask is your regional discussion area.

If we all do that, then we will be less stressed or annoyed about posters taking their own regional perspective about the model output and a lot more sympathetic to each and everyone’s own take.

It really isn’t that difficult to do!

But what if you don't know which regional thread to use :-)... my location - Mansfield -  always falls between 2! Joking aside, I agree re the sentiment though after reading so many 'downgrade' posts when there clearly has not been a downgrade of the cold spell as such, just how it may affect a particular area after a particular run. 

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, Singularity said:

For what it's worth, I expect there would be more in the way of showers and mesoscale disturbances than what the ECM 12z shows for its scenario. The first of those appeared for Saturday night on that particular run. I really noticed that for an obvious reason! Can't take its position literally of course.

You never can quite tell with these set-ups, the ECM keeps ramming in disturbances into the NE but I can't imagine they wouldn't rotate around the lows axis.

Historically though its always been very much 50-50. Sometimes I've looked at a set-up and thought that must bring disturbances, and then its bone dry. Equally other times it looks iffy and yet we get disturbances galore come along in the flow.

I'd still argue all day long that your going to be far better off north of the LP core axis than south of it, regardless of whether the LP ends up over norfolk, Belgium or Newcastle. That basic summary holds IMO regardless. Its just how much convection can we bring into the south if the LP is too close and we end up with an overland flow for much of the southern half of the country.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves
14 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Thats great news for those further south and indeed for all of us imo.

That’s good news thanks for sharing maybe might stop some banging on every two minutes about south east not get any snow.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
7 minutes ago, stodge said:

Yes, I think so certainly in terms of longevity if not necessarily severity.

All the models are bringing milder air back in by T+240 so that's a 5 day cold spell maximum. I'm struggling to see any model prolonging the cold spell beyond that at this time.

The problem is as the heights in Scandinavia fail and slip SE they stop the trough sliding into Europe and it moves up north over the British Isles.

Only the models we can see none of which have decent verification stats at day 10.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
5 minutes ago, Scandinavian High. said:

That’s good news thanks for sharing maybe might stop some banging on every two minutes about south east not get any snow.

Nope this suggests I was on to something- only presenting here what the models are showing and its a downgrade from the 0z suite as well as the op being on the colder end of the ensembles for the most part, but I guess it could just as easily upgrade again tomorrow such is the fixed nature of the models.

Anyway enjoy your narnia winter Northerners I'm not jealous

graphe0_00_0_0_-0.12574_51.5085_Londres-2.gif

20210202_201035.jpg

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Bartlett High said:

But you must concede to the fact you are talking about day 10 which is very much subject to change?

Indeed and if it were just one of the main models I wouldn't be concerned but looking across the board I don't see anything that prolongs the cold spell.

Even the UKMO at T+144 looks poor as does JMA if you want to see the pieces for a prolonged cold spell. I'm not questioning it would be quite severe especially in the north but tonight GFS has backtracked on the severity further south and, as last night, there's no sense of longevity. 

Of course, the block could be more durable and the LP might continue to shift into Europe but I don't see it on the main models at this stage.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything newsworthy, so long as it's not in the Daily Express

Trigger low positioning absolutely crucial to achieve a lasting and expansive result for coldies and as one might expect at this range, we're really none the wiser.

Irrespective of whether the West or Central/Northern regions have had any snow or not this winter (and accepting that Lincs/EA/SE have largely had bugger all), there's still plenty of time for the low to transition to hero or, sadly, zero. Nothing unusual in these "classic" Easterly set ups - often so fickle.

The mean is mostly our friend, at least, not just on the ECM but also the GEM, and the UKMO/Met remains fully on board. That the hi-res Det and Control are bang in the middle of the ensembles until FI also gives me more than a crumb of comfort. Keep the faith. We'll know soon.

Edited by supernova
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
13 minutes ago, Frosty Winter said:

Not sure if it has been posted but the JMA 12z is a stonker out to t132.

8C6B6B43-563C-4C23-B369-AE9424DB77D6.thumb.gif.e7a0fe62c2cb4d44c3103678cc63c5b3.gif68997291-C1F8-4F5D-81F8-F2B015EBDFE2.thumb.gif.c21e86bc066283390e74e7d36171fab3.gif

opposite of last night then!

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

Only the models we can see none of which have decent verification stats at day 10.

If something like MOGREPS is showing a prolonged cold spell past T+240 fine, as you say, I can't say it. 

I can only go by what I see and looking at the Mean charts into medium and longer term, the fact is the Atlantic trough aligns positively drawing heights up to the south west and it's a mild SW'ly by T+240.

• Thanks 1

Posted

As expected la Nina is now in the weak range. This along with AAM rising, MJO in the western Pacific and the strat warmings, it bodes well for the rest of winter, wouldn't take too much notice of models dropping blocking after 216 atm

ECM mean looks very much like the gem to me, still plenty of time for changes with regards to where that low ends up at 120-144

Screenshot_20210202-201236.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

As expected la Nina is now in the weak range. This along with AAM rising, MJO in the western Pacific and the strat warmings, it bodes well for the rest of winter, wouldn't take too much notice of models dropping blocking after 216 atm

ECM mean looks very much like the gem to me, still plenty of time for changes with regards to where that low ends up at 120-144

Screenshot_20210202-201236.png

Specifically, interest with regards to latest strat warming, could be a surprise or two..

• Like 3