Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 'Big talk' weather....:-)

I find it fascinating to watch the wildlife when there is a change of weather (for the worst in their case).  If we didn't have all this technology, we could definitely rely on the animals.  Remember to give them a helping hand when they can't quite find the nuts they buried and now that the berries have run out.  

I have the sledge ready and intend to have a 'winter picnic' if this comes off.....need to make some more, fun, snow memories.  Photo's will follow (I hope!)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms
14 minutes ago, Mark Bayley said:

Agreed, I've only found the snow melts more quickly as opposed to those outside the M25 get considerably more (but that's only 4 years experience, and i can count on one hand the snow events...). Still, I'm zone 4/5, it will be a little different right in the centre!

Even in this situation with temps so low? 

Posted
2 hours ago, Paul Sherman said:

Gotta quote their totals Mick lol but yes we will be on a totally new thread by then

well no matter what, unless we see the streamer of a few years back (can't remember what year it was but i walked ten miles into work that day. ((SE18 - Whitehall)) maybe 2008 but my memory is so poor now) . 

which you so eloquently gave a fabulous explanation about after it happened then i dont think we will see any show stopping amounts in the next 10 days

Edited by MAF
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

This will probably get lost very quickly in here with all the potential snow talk but it shows just how dire January was particularly in my location...chilly, dull and very very wet!

God we need a good dumping of snow!

monthly_sunshine_2021-01_anomaly_1981-2010.png

monthly_rainfall_2021-01_anomaly_1981-2010.png

monthly_meantemp_2021-01_anomaly_1981-2010.png

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 5

Posted
6 minutes ago, MAF said:

well no matter what, unless we see the streamer of a few years back (can't remember what year it was but i walked ten miles into work that day. ((SE18 - Whitehall)) maybe 2008 but my memory is so poor now) . 

which you so eloquently gave a fabulous explanation about after it happened then i dont think we will see any show stopping amounts in the next 10 days

Here you are

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course
1 hour ago, Speedbird said:

It was bought to celebrate the next decent snowfall

Oh, and just turned 50. 

I've got a half bottle of real champagne I've been saving for a special occasion

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The rain has arrived now, it has turned out to be a fair bit chillier than forecast with a high of 6c thanks to most and low cloud. Just one more milder day left now, worth noting that it will get colder once the east to south easterly picks up during Saturday and that snow will fall before the coldest 850s reach us due to the continental feed lowering dew points.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Weather Wonder said:

Another good read is

yes! thats the one i wanted to quote. @Paul Sherman did a fantastic job in that post and it's something through all my years on net-weather i will remember

• Like 3

Posted

Thanks Mick, I really enjoyed putting that together even though it hurts soooo much and on Monday and Tuesday this week we had a few minutes silence to remember the event - Hahahaha

Btw that Meto chart Froze posted above is telling for the Thames Estuary as wel with us having upwards of 200% per cent of our average Jan Rainfall. In fact amazingly my weather station is on 204mm as of today and its still raining meaning we have had 1/3rd of our annual 610mm average for SE Essex.

Posted
35 minutes ago, Planet Stow said:

Based in Walthamstow however during the last 'snow' event here I managed to get to Epping where there around an inch of snow.

Not to sure how safe it will be to travel up to Epping this time round though!

Walk it! It's a really nice walk in the snow and you can catch the tube back to Leyton!

Posted

Whats interesting is despite being no where near as cold as the 1987 set-up, the Feb 09 snow event gave fairly simlar snowfalls SW of London.

It sounds like there was a major Thames streamer event on the Tuesday 13th overnight into the 14th (which matches when the winds shifted back ENE after being more true easterly for a time). Someone living in Cranleigh estimated about a 1ft of snow over that 12-18hr period. Tatsfield further to the NE had 39cms.

I'd love to see a radar version of that time period, it would have looked really interesting.

@Paul Sherman hopefully you can excise those demons early next week!

Interestingly this is being modelled as more unstable than the BFTE was forecasted to be at the moment, despite considerably milder upper temps (though SSts are probably 1-2c up from where they would have been then).

Edited by kold weather

Posted
31 minutes ago, Snowman31 said:

Even in this situation with temps so low? 

Where abouts in NW London are you? I wouldn't be worried about any snow melting for our locations.

Posted
3 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Whats interesting is despite being no where near as cold as the 1987 set-up, the Feb 09 snow event gave fairly simlar snowfalls SW of London.

It sounds like there was a major Thames streamer event on the Tuesday 13th overnight into the 14th (which matches when the winds shifted back ENE after being more true easterly for a time). Someone living in Cranleigh estimated about a 1ft of snow over that 12-18hr period. Tatsfield further to the NE had 39cms.

I'd love to see a radar version of that time period, it would have looked really interesting.

Having heard Thundersnow 4 times in my life I can tell you the 1987 spell contained the most with if I remember correctly 5 seperate showers containing claps of thunder. 1991 contained 2 and the December 2010 event containing 2 events on the 2nd and 17th december. The February 2009 spell never contained any thundersnow here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, Mark Bayley said:

Where abouts in NW London are you? I wouldn't be worried about any snow melting for our locations.

I live in Edgware HA8. Not far from you but Harrow is on a hill so probably better then here. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Thanks Mick, I really enjoyed putting that together even though it hurts soooo much and on Monday and Tuesday this week we had a few minutes silence to remember the event - Hahahaha

Btw that Meto chart Froze posted above is telling for the Thames Estuary as wel with us having upwards of 200% per cent of our average Jan Rainfall. In fact amazingly my weather station is on 204mm as of today and its still raining meaning we have had 1/3rd of our annual 610mm average for SE Essex.

yes, i am surprised the rainfall amount has not been mentioned for January in this thread yet. 

as for Feb 09, i went to work on a day shift, had to go in as there would be no relief for the night shift team; walked the bus route to trafalgar square (old admiralty building)  from SE18. really funny thing was, when i went home after 14 hours in work, i went to Charing X and it was mayhem. so, i went to the thames ferry down at westminster and got a boat to woolwich arsenal with just me and my colleague as the only passengers. oh, and it was free as i had my MoD pass on me  

all those people trying to get home, yet the river service was empty

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

Having heard Thundersnow 4 times in my life I can tell you the 1987 spell contained the most with if I remember correctly 5 seperate showers containing claps of thunder. 1991 contained 2 and the December 2010 event containing 2 events on the 2nd and 17th december. The February 2009 spell never contained any thundersnow here.

surely 2004 was the daddy for thundersnow - a near nationwide event as the squall front pushed south across the whole of the uk. Not a remarkable snow event in itself as was rain to snow - but a unique weather event in my memory.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, WheresTheSnow said:

The GFS has been consistently showing snow all day for the south on Sunday. I know that it’s not great for precipitation amounts but I’ve seen contrasting views saying that showers won’t even get west enough past London.

Can the GFS be that far off the mark on precipitation? Surely most of the south (bar the coasts and towards the west) should get a couple centimetres minimum if it stays as the GFS shows?

C8C68D54-301D-43EE-9EAD-4F4C56A9A880.png

CF5B0C32-4802-43C1-94DE-4EF5E805B957.png

Well it can bog off lol, it starts as rain here. Lol.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, kold weather said:

'09 was so unpredicted though. not a hint of it happening on any forecast or model. it just appeared. and if you see @Paul Sherman 's post about it, it makes it even more an event than it was. Oh, how i wish......

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Stu_London said:

surely 2004 was the daddy for thundersnow - a near nationwide event as the squall front pushed south across the whole of the uk. Not a remarkable snow event in itself as was rain to snow - but a unique weather event in my memory.

OMG how did I forget that 5pm January cracker - Yh that was insane but a crashing north to south cold front as you say wasnt in a cold spell as such, Ok its 5 events Yay

Posted
4 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Whats interesting about that is locally when I lived back in S.Ockendon I had two seperate occasions of thundersnow during the Feb 05 event. Here is an actual quote from the evening of the 21st Feb 2005, i'd have been 15!

heavy snow here,settling will report how much later.(thundersnow actually!!!)

Sadly the next thread is lost to time, so I'll never know what I reported depth wise!

• Like 1