Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS
    1 minute ago, SHM040519 said:

yep it’s moderate I’d say here now. Meant to be in and off all day!! Say I’ve got 8-9cm now in areas where it laid right away yesterday! 

Haven't measured yet but I'm confident I have way over 10cm now.

Problem being it's being blowing a gale so I have drifts in the garden that are over a foot.

Still snowing..light/moderate..

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 8k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I suppose not really weather related but I just wanted to say thank you all so much.  I've really really enjoyed following the posts today.  I am awaiting Open Heart Surgery sometime this year and you

Oh my f**king god. How many times does it need saying? 1. The amber doesn't expire until tomorrow midday 2. Widespread heavy showers & streamers are going to follow later, tonight,

Evening. Here's my estimated #snow depths for England and Wales that I expect until noon on Monday, using a blend of high resolution models.

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Anyone know what’s causing the convection further north to get much further inland without decaying? More dry air in our patch wrecking things?

Posted
    1 minute ago, craigore said:

Haven't measured yet but I'm confident I have way over 10cm now.

Problem being it's being blowing a gale so I have drifts in the garden that are over a foot.

Still snowing..light/moderate..

Fab! Same here. Lovely to watch! Met seems to think more heavier stuff later. Who knows! 

• Like 1
    Posted

Oh dear seeing as our 2 local gritters

Brad Grit & Grit Me Baby 1 More time have not been out and treated the roads conditions rapidly getting worse here tracks now on the roads

Screenshot_20210208_075028_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Posted

Slate grey skies and continuous light snow. Temp -2.5.

Some nice little drifts building up even in my tiny garden.

16127708106344712861854508070324.jpg

• Like 2
    Posted
    13 minutes ago, spear said:

Wow! It didn't stop snowing completely all day yesterday and is going again this morning. Added some pics to show the difference overnight. First was yesterday afternoon around 4pm second is just now before I got back in bed! Been a very long time since I last saw this much. It was up to 10cm as of yesterday afternoon and there's definitely a food few cm more on top. The wind helped smooth it all out last night but it just keeps coming down, even if it is light. 

20210207_153705.jpg

20210208_072725.jpg

Yup I honestly can't remember when it last snowed all day and night! 

Just been out and from a good spot in the garden I've measured 15cm perhaps a little bit more If we have much more I'll completely loose the ruler. 

Drifts well up to my knees! 

A00277DB-EAF8-481E-85C7-05BC5C29EA3B.jpeg

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Nice walk into work this morning. Perishing but lovely to not hear any of the dreaded drip drip which often happens after these events. Couple of cms here.

0C137147-38D8-4963-AFAD-8CFF72AC3248.jpeg

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS
    1 minute ago, SHM040519 said:

Fab! Same here. Lovely to watch! Met seems to think more heavier stuff later. Who knows! 

Really hope so.

Wife keeps asking where are the big beefy flakes.

Trying to explain the air is very cold and dry , hence small flakes..

If we get some good old n sea convection then we should see some bigger stuff today but I'm happy as things stand.

Good dollop of snow in the garden and still snowing .

Plus it's not going anywhere soon looking at temps for the nxt several days or further..

Temp currently -1.8c

Low last night was -2.1c

So were good..

Wth no sun today there be no melt either..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Starting to really build in the estuary now, looks like it will blow through into South London - start of the famous ENE streamer?

• Like 2
    Posted
    Just now, craigore said:

Really hope so.

Wife keeps asking where are the big beefy flakes.

Trying to explain the air is very cold and dry , hence small flakes..

If we get some good old n sea convection then we should see some bigger stuff today but I'm happy as things stand.

Good dollop of snow in the garden and still snowing .

Plus it's not going anywhere soon looking at temps for the nxt several days or further..

Temp currently -1.8c

Low last night was -2.1c

So were good..

Wth no sun today there be no melt either..

Can’t see much melt before the weekend! Will be sub zero for next few days. Yes, you never know with a strong easterly - we in east Kent always do well in these set ups. 2018, had 20cm here!

Posted

Strong signs a thames streamer will setup some time this evening from the models which carries through to early morning.

I don't think its going to get too intense based on the models but thre models often underestimate streamer effects, especially for SE London, N.Kent and S.Essex.

I was not convinced yesterday it would even make it as far as myself as I'm really right at the end of the track usually, but the models are little more aggressive on that front so we will see.

• Like 3
    • Thanks 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow all the way
    9 minutes ago, jayney69 said:

Newington this morning. Roads in Swale are awful although I’ve read that Medway is clearer.

84186397-030F-4A3B-8E1E-2FC54005547B.jpeg

Hi, just to confirm Rainham and Gillingham (near big Tesco) all seem ok, roads are clear and safe. The paths are dodgy mind you,  just watched someone jogging  (why?) who nearly slipped on a bend 🙄. We are only a few miles from you yet the difference in accumulations is vast! Glad you did well though...

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Woke up to a light covering on everything. Not enough to play in but it looks pretty. 

Posted
    2 minutes ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

Starting to really build in the estuary now, looks like it will blow through into South London - start of the famous ENE streamer?

I can see it building but is the steering winds aligned to bring it west?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
    1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Strong signs a thames streamer will setup some time this evening from the models which carries through to early morning.

I don't think its going to get too intense based on the models but thre models often underestimate streamer effects, especially for SE London, N.Kent and S.Essex.

I was not convinced yesterday it would even make it as far as myself as I'm really right at the end of the track usually, but the models are little more aggressive on that front so we will see.

Looks to already be some good convection building which could drift through South London later this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

Top of the winter wonderland morning to you all. We have proper powder blowing snow here in East Dene, nice too see the ground frozen, dont forget to feed the birds, poor things. Take care everyone and the very best of health to you all.

• Like 3
    Posted
    2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

bit of head scratchy as the condition do seem ok for a bit more meat to this but as you say models not showing that currently nor Meto

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

a bit more icing sugar has been added over night

• Like 1
    Posted

Winds higher up are just in the process of starting to shift more ENE at the moment (indeed briefly nearer due east for a few hours) and you can see this on the radar with the Estuary stuff starting to move west.

The stuff coming down from Essex doesn't look like a streamer to me, but more just a pulse of convection moving down into an area that should start to become increasingly favorable for shower development, the strengthening is possibly a sign that the atmosphere in the estuary is starting to get a little more unstable.

PS - actual light snow falling. The 'covering' I have is barely enough for even a slight white colour, you could mistake it for a modest frost frankly, but its there and given temperatures its not going anywhere fast today

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Crikey, well over 300 pages. I am going to lock this thread and open a new one.

• Like 2
    Posted

Well the walk across Westminster Bridge was bracing 😄 light dusting around in C London but it's mighty cold in the wind. As i feared yesterday, the snow is been blown around in the wind and not getting a chance to settle 😞

Posted

Im wondering why convention is happening only from midlands to up north but nothing in the south east inland?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

New thread here

• Like 1