Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted

Not sure if it’s to do with snow being carried a long way in the wind but snow here (Stevenage) for most of the evening but according to the radar we are north of the precip. Does anyone know at what height the radar picks up precipitation is it when it leaves the clouds

Posted
5 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Running the radar from 7-8ish, snow really seems to be fading pretty much just before it hits my patch. I’d imagine Mildenhall way must be having some decent snow?

Likewise - it literally just gets to my doorstep and dies ?‍♂️ just looking at the nature of the set up I’m not that convinced anywhere will get substantial amounts tonight in EA - might be wrong, it all looks too light... maybe a 1-2cm here and there. Really envy those punchy snow showers over eastern Scotland! If only! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.
13 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

image.thumb.png.04865e6b6e85c5c397c89bb2c257ceb9.png

Latest fax has the current streamer that’s roughly into my locale on too

There was a Twitter post on here today that mentioned energy/convergence  backing through the region overnight, I can’t find it though as so many pages have mounted up.

Edited by 80sWeather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Latest radar Grab compared to last model run . 

4D2FE0CE-12F8-4AE2-A13A-AD929AC9C79D.png

D95FAB65-3B1C-4B77-B3D9-852C4594572D.png

243EDC40-ABDF-4EB7-B212-89E2CE07F82E.png

I am waiting for this . And yes I’m joking , however note the convection still not picked up further north .

D9D6F280-F887-409A-847E-BAA26B5EFF3C.png

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely
3 minutes ago, Gonzolio Martinez said:

Why can't it just shift southwards a little?

image.thumb.png.1948e1b4a539c4aa4eb8cdb52fea7338.png

It’s been so annoying what’s worse is that hereall day just been 5 miles away south, now it’s so dam close last few hours just stayed that bit north unbelievable 

Posted

https://meteoradar.co.uk/zoom/959/886/sneeuw

lots  of  snow  in the north  sea   blowing a blizzard  here  with  very fine  snow. with now frezzzing up  the road  will very slippy with all the rain we  had  on saterday  so be verycarefull in  ipswich in the  morning

Posted
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

Not sure if it’s to do with snow being carried a long way in the wind but snow here (Stevenage) for most of the evening but according to the radar we are north of the precip. Does anyone know at what height the radar picks up precipitation is it when it leaves the clouds

The same happened here - clear skies and light snow, saw an interesting quote on this in an earlier post saying that the precip gets carried 5-10 miles upstream of the showers due to the wind. Overall - everything seems to be lacking a bit of punch at the moment 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather
2 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Not sure, but can't be that high as I remember during the beast from the east the radar was picking up blowing snow when nothing was falling

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, suffolkboy_ said:

Not sure, but can't be that high as I remember during the beast from the east the radar was picking up blowing snow when nothing was falling

blowing  hard  here

Posted

1cm of snow in the places where it has actually settled.  Not bad for 12 hours of falling. And all that at 110m asl.

Dry and cold now.  Breezy.

Tempted to head out for a walk later but not convinced I'll need to dig out the crampons and ice axe just yet.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!
4 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Latest radar Grab compared to last model run . 

4D2FE0CE-12F8-4AE2-A13A-AD929AC9C79D.png

D95FAB65-3B1C-4B77-B3D9-852C4594572D.png

243EDC40-ABDF-4EB7-B212-89E2CE07F82E.png

I am waiting for this . And yes I’m joking , however note the convection still not picked up further north .

D9D6F280-F887-409A-847E-BAA26B5EFF3C.png

That bloody gap is right where Medway is!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Fairly heavy settling snow now @uxbridge..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
23 minutes ago, EML Network said:

Well this has to go down as the biggest let down ever for down here.

A whole week spent getting excited for absolutely nothing.

Ive seen more 'white' on the ground on a frosty October morning than I hsve on the ground here and I cant see anything more coming this way going by the radar return.

Whoever does get snow though is going to be able to enjoy it for the next week at least.

I wont be radar watching tonight as theres no point, aint nothing coming this way.

GFS has consistently modelled Tuesday as being a day of potential here so I think thats the next day of opportunity, even a 10 minute heavy snow shower would give me more than I have now so ill see what happens then...after which it will be looking to see what happens with the LP on Friday from off the Atlantic.

A week full of potential, but tbh thats all it ever is down this way, potentials that never materialize.

In all fairness, it was never showing much potential for Brighton? You will only ever really get hit from a channel low and that has not been in the forecast.

If I lived on the South Coast, I wouldn't even bother looking for snow as it is nearly impossible for you guys sadly.

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like a very small pivot - cant see things moving that far west from their current trajectory - maybe a few miles. 

Its brought Ipswich back in the game and should help Southend and Medway - if the intensity keeps up.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
4 minutes ago, suffolkboy_ said:

It’s doppler radar, hence why flying ants etc get picked up in summer as ppn. Same for blowing snow.

• Like 2

Posted

The north is seeing a whole rash of snow showers going right the way inland due to their straight easterly, and we are stuck with snow only in the far east . Is the wind direction gonna swing more easterly any time soon?

Posted

My streamer is dying off completely! New one on radar from Yarmouth running SW. this will happen all night!

Posted

Everything is dying out before reaching here. Thought we may be in for a few cm tonight but not sure now! Any idea if the showers will pep up overnight?! Hoping but I think not. Frustrating 

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, tinybill said:

https://meteoradar.co.uk/zoom/959/886/sneeuw

lots  of  snow  in the north  sea   blowing a blizzard  here  with  very fine  snow. with now frezzzing up  the road  will very slippy with all the rain we  had  on saterday  so be verycarefull in  ipswich in the  morning

Not snowing in sw ipswich atm although very bitter outside, cloudy and looks like a chunk is heading our way

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
1 minute ago, Snowonder said:

Everything is dying out before reaching here. Thought we may be in for a few cm tonight but not sure now! Any idea if the showers will pep up overnight?! Hoping but I think not. Frustrating 

Well I have 3 different forecasts for snow, but unlike Goldilocks, they ALL appear too deep lol 

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Yeah, that’s what I heard too, with Bread and Cheese Hill also being blocked. Good thing it isn’t a normal rush hour out there! 

LOL. Is Bread and Cheese Hill an actual place?

Please say yes.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snowonder said:

All pot luck. One streamer dies away as the winds change and a new one sets up for as long as the winds align and converge again. Impossible to say where these will exactly line up.

• Thanks 1