Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

At least the Met Office could’ve removed the yellow warning for western parts where there’s been nothing much but snizzle!

Not disappointed as I knew it wasn’t likely to get much here. Met Office a huge failure with their forecasts!

Edited by prolongedSnowLover

Posted

Well haven’t been on for a while , what with family life , COVID etc , been popping my head in now and again . 
well it’s been snowing here in galleywood  non stop since about 8am and we have a decent covering on grass , buildings and very small accumulation on the paths , very patch tho , looking at the radar I’m in a decent spot at the moment , and things could change as wind directions change , it’s currently 0.1 here . 

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, pureasthedriven said:

Current favoured spots continuing to be favoured. Feels a bit like what you’ve got, you keep, whether that’s good bad or indifferent.  

Interesting to see they are going for a hard frost tonight, though I'm guessing it won't be the white frost but instead the type that just freezes the ground rock solid.

Will be interesting to see how well the local lakes nearby are doing over the next few days, got to be a good chance they freeze solid, though the lack of snowcover in the local region will probably allow maxes above 0c on most days locally.

Posted

No snow here, wasn't expecting anything so nothing to complain or cheer about.

Can't believe people genuinely get upset over the vagaries of the weather.

Hard to get bothered about something over which you have zero control

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Quite surprised with the lack of snowfall here in Thurrock. I reckon a max of 1cm on the grass, but we have had constant snowfall from around 9am, so not all to bad, it could of been just plain old rain. Was this due to the wind direction, or the storm further SE? 

Posted

Second time my 10 year old has been out today to clear the driveway! Arguably a hell of a lot more snow this time that earlier on....

Went and measured from a undisturbed spot in the garden about an hour ago and we had reached 8.5cm in Kesgrave (just outside Ipswich).

Slowing a little in intensity at the moment but we are still under the snow so more to come I would think. 

32D38805-8765-4B0F-A870-5D8F50788EDE.jpeg

87539FB5-20A8-465C-A71A-767265FD99D4.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
3 minutes ago, Marie said:

Yes seen falling snow , it started to settle but then stopped it’s actually snowing pretty heavy now but it’s really small fine snow , not laying 

Marie, are we West?! What is West of the region?!  Just our luck if we are too far... West!  

Posted

heavily snowing here now, c'mon temp just drop abit

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
2 minutes ago, Luke8686 said:

Anyone think places a bit further north and west will get a piece of the action later? Here in Aylesbury we've only had the odd flurry so far today.

Nope. 

Posted

I have an interesting situation in my garden.  Our lawn slopes up to the house significantly, and snow is lying on the higher parts while the lower area is still mostly green.  I suspect the slope will be draining meltwater better to allow more settling but I also know that the freezing level is very, very close to us (my station is at the lower part and shows +0.2C).  It makes me wonder if I have a snowline running across my garden!  All good fun.

Posted
5 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

At least the Met Office could’ve removed the yellow warning for western parts where there’s been nothing much but snizzle!

Not disappointed as I knew it wasn’t likely to get much here. Met Office a huge failure with their forecasts!

I have to admit I think they could quite easily cut out the SW quadrant of that yellow forecast and none the worse for it, as there is not going to be any snow down here. If they want to cover themselves they could perhaps put a sperate ice warning in for this area as there maybe some around but your right, no way does anything out there justify a yellow for Hampshire or W.Surrey at the moment.

They will probably keep it in place just in case of a rouge convective line moves through which could put down a dusting or 1-2cms in a fairly short time, but whether or not that justifies a yellow warning, I'll leave that upto you!

Edited by kold weather

Posted
1 minute ago, masked_firefly said:

Second time my 10 year old has been out today to clear the driveway! Arguably a hell of a lot more snow this time that earlier on....

Went and measured from a undisturbed spot in the garden about an hour ago and we had reached 8.5cm in Kesgrave (just outside Ipswich).

Slowing a little in intensity at the moment but we are still under the snow so more to come I would think. 

32D38805-8765-4B0F-A870-5D8F50788EDE.jpeg

87539FB5-20A8-465C-A71A-767265FD99D4.jpeg

IMG_8155.MOV

Just goes to show how localised this was, currently at 16+ cm in Trimley!

• Like 3

Posted

Just had to go out and use a broom to get the snow off my garden plants, my red robin photinia which have reached 6ft were bent in half with the weight of the snow, taken years to grow them that tall, dont want them snapped in half now.

B23DA913-0900-41A7-9601-13952C8AD0E1.jpeg

Edited by Blazerblue
  • Like 5

Posted

It’s actually powder type snow here in Southend as well. Just tried to build a snowman etc and it’s the very dry type. Rare!

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, snowy weather said:

How are people doing around the Canterbury neck of the woods? Have you got much accumulations? I think Canterbury was set to be the hardest hit?

Got a good covering on all surfaces except road and pavement. However, in the last hour it has laid a lot more on there. Still very heavy too. Expect after dark for it to lay there rapidly 

• Like 1