Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted

I’ve read messages about colder air coming in and then see my temperature climb a smidge in the past hour? Snow is easing off even though radar looks ok upstream ?

increasing concern that the real snow for areas away from east coast will have faded away by time uppers cool further?

I read @Nick F well worded blog and then noticed the question from @bluearmy and simply have no idea ?‍♂️ 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!

In a bit of a lull here now and the covering on cars is definitely receding. 

Radar showing some potential soon though, as the higher intensity band continues to slide slowly west. 

Posted
Just now, Reefseeker said:

Tiny flakes of varying intensity and rain-like-ness (made up word!) falling for 4 hours now on the SW London/east Surrey border. And I'm losing the faith frankly. It's just wet and cold out there. So disappointed.

I'm with you, giving up on seeing anything from this. It's almost 1 and still nothing but dandruff flying in the air. The temperature still hasn't even dropped below freezing

• Like 2

Posted

Slight increase in intensity has been enough for it to start to settle on the concrete surfaces now.

1612702000705510119202.jpg

Edited by snowblind
  • Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Reefseeker said:

Tiny flakes of varying intensity and rain-like-ness (made up word!) falling for 4 hours now on the SW London/east Surrey border. And I'm losing the faith frankly. It's just wet and cold out there. So disappointed.

Im gonna go up box hill to see if there any settled stuff.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

It's been a funny old day: the air temp is clearly <0C; but it can't be that far below, because whenever the sky brightens, the snow that's frozen onto dark surface starts to melt... the icicles don't. 

I'd suggest that the temperature isn't <0C, but around +0.5C, as confirmed by the Met Office 1200 reports of between 0C and 3C in EA generally.  The longer sea track makes it warmer further north in the area (3C around The Wash).  I am finding it hard to understand why so many models put the temperature well below freezing so widely today, given the well-known North Sea SST positive anomaly this winter.  It might drop a little further as more air flows in from Europe, but the snow is diminishing all the time.  

Posted

The line convection over London is starting to become more obvious. This area IS moving westwards and is probably going to be the best shot at getting snow today for these areas.

The whole area should continue to weaken and decay with several established bands left over. Will soon be just a modest area of light snow as it moves further west which will not be very impressive on radar bar maybe the odd line of weak convection.

*Could* be enough for a dusting further west, maybe 1-2cms for those who get in the action in the next hour or two. However there will be some who won't get a bean from it further west you go.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Ian Docwra said:

I'd suggest that the temperature isn't <0C, but around +0.5C, as confirmed by the Met Office 1200 reports of between 0C and 3C in EA generally.  The longer sea track makes it warmer further north in the area (3C around The Wash).  I am finding it hard to understand why so many models put the temperature well below freezing so widely today, given the well-known North Sea SST positive anomaly this winter.  It might drop a little further as more air flows in from Europe, but the snow is diminishing all the time.  

So how does that explain frozen slush, on cars?

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Ols500 said:

Im gonna go up box hill to see if there any settled stuff.

Reigate Hill is our usual go-to place for snow in marginal set-ups, but even there I'm not sure there's much going on. We had hoped Nonsuch Park would become an Alpine wonderland to go sledging!

• Like 1

Posted

The temp has dropped a little to -1.0c and now the snow has intesified, and the wind has picked up. Drifting around and blowing off roofs and trees. 

Posted

On the not settle I get on surfaces question..

my therory is that even though it’s cloudy and snowy there is just enough solar energy getting in to introduce a wrong side of 0 situation on those surfaces in lighter spells.. trees, bushes and to lesser degree grass are covered ok. If we can keep snow falling from about 3:00 onwards then solar radiation goes and I think we will see improvements.. and maybe the gritters will come out, not seen one today

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

The line convection over London is starting to become more obvious. This area IS moving westwards and is probably going to be the best shot at getting snow today for these areas.

The whole area should continue to weaken and decay with several established bands left over. Will soon be just a modest area of light snow as it moves further west which will not be very impressive on radar bar maybe the odd line of weak convection.

*Could* be enough for a dusting further west, maybe 1-2cms for those who get in the action in the next hour or two. However there will be some who won't get a bean from it further west you go.

If that's it then pretty much a bust.

Bring on spring.

Posted

An uptick in the intensity and flake size here in Horley, Gatwick. Settling on usual suspects (parked cars, grass, roofs). I’d say about 1cm. Something nice to look at now at least. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and severe weather events.
8 minutes ago, tomp456 said:

woah its nearly 4c here.

dandruff continues to fall.

That's tropical lol. I'm in hassocks the other side of the downs and it's 1 degree here now and a pretty keen bite in the air the last hour or so. 

Posted

Borderline sunny in Cambridge! Plenty of blue skies above my back yard. Streamers this pm, eve and overnight the best chance for our area I think! 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

So how does that explain frozen slush, on cars?

A few spots may touch freezing at times and with a strong wind it will freeze quickly.  However, the Met Office reports show temperatures generally between 0C and +3C in EA.

Posted
3 minutes ago, pureasthedriven said:

An uptick in the intensity and flake size here in Horley, Gatwick. Settling on usual suspects (parked cars, grass, roofs). I’d say about 1cm. Something nice to look at now at least. 

Does that mean an increase?  Light to moderate snow at +0.4C here in Brockham, Surrey and sodden ground is still green.

Edited by Ian Docwra

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

The met office app is worse than useless.

Can't even get a nowcast right.

Been snowing moderately since 11am here and it keeps saying dry and cloudy!

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Reefseeker said:

Reigate Hill is our usual go-to place for snow in marginal set-ups, but even there I'm not sure there's much going on. We had hoped Nonsuch Park would become an Alpine wonderland to go sledging!

I've got nothing better to do. Honestly 24th of Jan was much better for most of us...

• Like 1