Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted

Nothing immediately obvious on radar but we are starting to get flurries now in Ely, a couple of the streamers/convective bands beginning to fire perhaps? Might be a good sign...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Just out of the heavier ppn, hopefully it won't be long before I get in on the decent stuff

IMG_20210207_103657_1.jpg

IMG_20210207_103710.jpg

IMG_20210207_103727.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Finally some westward movement on that band of heavier precipitation over the coast it was seem.....very slowly though but could improve things early afternoon here. We'll see.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
7 minutes ago, North Easterly Breeze said:

Update:

Settling on the cat here in Benfleet.

A6513817-8EDC-4DE7-9484-9A75CE2F9163.jpeg

Nope, none on my cat. 

16126980546017960670392934409694.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
36 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I said before that anyone west of C.London is going to struggle this entire week, I stand by that as well, we might get lucky and get a light dusting at times if the showers do manage to inch far enough across but other than that our only real hope in the next 10 days is from ant stalled out front situation...

But to be brutally honest, I think that front is never making it past Somerset so we may have to wait for a renewed surge from the east should it happen (far from certain.)

Otherwise, enjoy the cold, and ANY snow we get, especially this evening and tonight, treat it as a bonus.

BBC forecast was quite bullish earlier about a more easterly element developing later tonight and into Monday pushing snow showers all the way across to Wales and the SW potentially. One to watch. 

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Retron said:

Just had a bout of graupel pinging off all surfaces during the (still generally light) snow here. Convection  - it's kicking in!

Getting some small hail balls across the Estuary as well like you say a good sign things are going on above our heads convection wise

• Like 1

Posted

I suspect now the wind is changing direction into a more E/NE things are beginning to shift and the convective dynamics are beginning to take shape

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Winters & Warm (Not Hot!) Summers

BBC showing 4C over London this afternoon....wtf are they on??? 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, hot and sunny in summer

We have quite the winter wonderland in Crowborough now! Was so disappointed when I woke up but I am cheering up now.

D8639DBD-121B-4F13-ACA2-5F6EC9D150CC.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Looks like the Met office warning will be fairly good, the amber zone doesn't look huge but where it does snow for a prolonged period the snow will eventually add up. Remember it will snow on and off in that amber zone for the next 24hrs at least.

Sadly the game was up for us lot further west a good 24-36hrs ago when the models shifted slightly further east again.

As I said, if your west of C.London, be prepared for a cold but more or less green (or brown if you got mud!) week rather than white. 

As I pointed out amid the derision last night before I went to bed, it only took a quick look at the Met Office infrared radar to see the steady movement away to the east of 'Darcy', but there was a barrage of people claiming it would throw out new fronts, new arms to the west, reverse, etc!  We still may get a covering but the temperature is still above freezing (although that was claimed to be impossible by now by so many yesterday!), so a drop of at least 1C would be needed for that.  The intensity of precipitation in the eastern fringe has generally dropped a lot in the last few hours, too. 

Good to know that many got the snow they so fervently hoped for.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

The amount of people out with sledges here is quite bizarre.. the grass is still mostly green  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Setting in again here. Starting to settle on pavements and roads in the more intense stuff

CDC4946D-696F-400D-82A6-9C2DC4CBFCB8.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
7 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

What dew point / temp does it need to be to settle on wet roads, patios etc? 

The temperature of the surface is most important, needs to be zero. Heavy snow will easily bring that to zero. 

Edited by Nick L
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

This has literally just formed, signs of thing's going the right way I hope

IMG_20210207_114340_1.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, danm said:

BBC forecast was quite bullish earlier about a more easterly element developing later tonight and into Monday pushing snow showers all the way across to Wales and the SW potentially. One to watch. 

Indeed, and away from the SE.

Posted
15 minutes ago, Avaratz said:

I'm just south of Maidstone at 125m altitude - started settling around 7am and has snowed quite heavily since then. It's piling up along our east facing fence. 

In 2018 we got about 20cm so I think my location usually gets lucky in this setup. 

I'm fairly near Detling so I think it comes over the downs and dumps on both us me first then you. Sheppey is getting pasted so we're get what they had half hour later. Looks like we're right in the firing line looking at the satellite. It just keeps on coming! Yes we had 20cm in 2018 as well. We might get near it if this continues for next 12 hours. Which it could! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

MINI RAMP: Sqweeeeeeeeee!  5p sized flakes, heavier, promising blowingggg in the wind.  Whoooop! 

Edit: 10p!!

Edited by Alpine glow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Steady moderate to heavy snow here on the Riviera...2.5cms and temp at 0.0c and signs of settling on pavement.

20210207_114416.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
1 minute ago, Ian Docwra said:

Good to know that many got the snow they so fervently hoped for.

Especially the bbc and met talking of power outages, villages being cut off and large snow amounts . I've seen heavier snow in showers! No way is this a storm