Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
4 minutes ago, DAVE_ALLEN said:

How are we looking Kold. IM over in Godalming about 10 miles towards the snow from you.  Im thinking our best changes are 8am to Noon tomorrow ?

Yeah I think thats probably a fair call, but the models really are all over the place for us out here. Quite a few do show an extension WSW though towards our area (it may or may not make it though!) in the morning.

Beyond that I'd watch as there are hints from some models of some convection forming on the western edge of the frontal shield in an arc from Norfolk roughly SW which may intercept our region. Thats not high confidence but I'd watch from 3pm onwards for that.

Further out and I've got a sneaky feeling we are going to see a Thames streamer set up. Exactly the angle of the wind direction is key and I'll be honest and say I don't really have any idea exactly where will be at risk as the little low between 900-700mbs to our SE is making predicting the exact wind angle an utter nightmare (and is why the models are all over the place beyond Sunday morning!) but somewhere will get lucky I reckon sometime Mon-Tues

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ☀️
2 minutes ago, saintkip said:

After another sh1tshow from Southampton I’d love a snowy Sunday 

Saving ourselves for the cup  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
12 minutes ago, DAVE_ALLEN said:

How are we looking Kold. IM over in Godalming about 10 miles towards the snow from you.  Im thinking our best changes are 8am to Noon tomorrow ?

Many fellow ‘mingers in this forum

we have strength in numbers!

come on snowwww!

• Like 3

Posted
33 minutes ago, lawrenk said:

Looking forward to a few drinks tonight to get “in the mood” for a late one. Nice bottle of red, with maybe a cheeky glass or two of scotch after. What are anyone elses plans?

Got a new bottle of gin today so will give that a thorough taste test, have some snacks whilst watching a bit of telly and keep an eye on this thread and the radar! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

EURO 12z goes for a foot in various parts of SE kent

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

Temp 6.1 dp 5.8 its dropping nicely by the hour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold, ice, frost, thundersnow,
4 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Yeah I think thats probably a fair call, but the models really are all over the place for us out here. Quite a few do show an extension WSW though towards our area (it may or may not make it though!) in the morning.

Beyond that I'd watch as there are hints from some models of some convection forming on the western edge of the frontal shield in an arc from Norfolk roughly SW which may intercept our region. Thats not high confidence but I'd watch from 3pm onwards for that.

Further out and I've got a sneaky feeling we are going to see a Thames streamer set up. Exactly the angle of the wind direction is key and I'll be honest and say I don't really have any idea exactly where will be at risk as the little low between 900-700mbs to our SE is making predicting the exact wind angle an utter nightmare (and is why the models are all over the place beyond Sunday morning!) but somewhere will get lucky I reckon sometime Mon-Tues

I am also watching the Thames streamer potential between Sunday night and Tuesday.

Depending on exact wind direction areas adjacent to the M4/M3/A3 will be at risk. I'm close to the M3 and you are close to the A3 so for both of us this could be an interesting few days.

Posted
1 minute ago, pinball wizard said:

Better than the Man U game though! And at least you are not in League One like us....

It was worse, against an injury hit 9 men of Newcastle, shocking but yeah anything’s better than being a Pompey fan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

ECM up to midnight tomorrow

snowdepth_20210206_12_036.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual works for me...!

Whenever we get close to the starting line, people always start to talk about downgrades. These posters are just making the mental adjustment from what they hoped for (something better than the best forecast of the last week for their postcode!) to what is actually forecast. Thus it is only a downgrade within their personal frame of reference, hence all the counter-posts saying that they don’t see a downgrade etc etc etc.

First bottle of Making Tracks just finished. Thinking about a second. Maybe a Lynch-Moussas and some cheese straws...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

A bit of encouragement from the ECM, probably more showers on Wednesday  if this came off as the winds back more north easterly. They wouldn’t extend as far inland due to lighter winds.

image.thumb.gif.3a7e67f6646f8eb3f20fc999002490ef.gif

Turning drier and clearer Wednesday night.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Euro 4 12z is fantastic - all the region involved at some point. Over a foot for Kent - parts to the south of London looking at 20cm (streamers).

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Temperature rapidly falling, seems pretty high though don't know how accurate the reading's are though. 

16126356262876073575470059240588.jpg

Posted
2 minutes ago, saintkip said:

It was worse, against an injury hit 9 men of Newcastle, shocking but yeah anything’s better than being a Pompey fan

Not so sure about that ... Anyhow back to the snow.. Ipswich probably in one of the better spots over the next 24 hours, another six hours or so of rain before it starts to turn white. A lot of surface water about now so going to make the job of gritters more difficult later tonight. Would expect to see accumulation by 03.00am.

Posted
Just now, IanT said:

Whenever we get close to the starting line, people always start to talk about downgrades. These posters are just making the mental adjustment from what they hoped for (something better than the best forecast of the last week for their postcode!) to what is actually forecast. Thus it is only a downgrade within their personal frame of reference, hence all the counter-posts saying that they don’t see a downgrade etc etc etc.

First bottle of Making Tracks just finished. Thinking about a second. Maybe a Lynch-Moussas and some cheese straws...

Yep, always good to not let your hype go too far.

I said to myself last night that I've got to be prepared for the very realistic chance that I might get a dusting at best and turned it into a bit of a joke. Some people may read that as being negative but its reasonable and realistic in light of the situation.

The goods news is we are both in area where we do have a rather sizeable wildcard to play with in the Thames streamer, but its not something I think you can depend upon to give the goods. Its very much a throw of a six sided dice.

Posted
10 minutes ago, Britneyfan said:

I think if your to the east of London then you should get a covering even after the main system due to showers and possible streamers 

winds have picked up here in Essex, I’m in the amber warning zone so presume I will get a few cm at least

Unless you are shy please put you approximate location in your profile. Go to top of page click on your name. Then go to to your profile and add in your location. Can be as precise or as vague as you like. If you are posting from an oil rig in the middle of the North Sea it might confuse many. 

Posted
42 minutes ago, lawrenk said:

Looking forward to a few drinks tonight to get “in the mood” for a late one. Nice bottle of red, with maybe a cheeky glass or two of scotch after. What are anyone elses plans?

Pretty much the same! although I have an appointment at the optition in the morning, I've got visions of wading through a raging blizzard, with a raging hangover, to get there! don't think I'll be attempting to drive anywhere for the next few days anyway!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
1 minute ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

That’s pretty pale for the West no ?

I'm not being funny, but you have been on a downer for days. We are looking at a week with temps not getting above freezing and a range of possible snow opportunities for the entire region..... what more do you want?

• Like 5