South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
7 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Thanks John..is the hill near here..?

321F5C9E-9CE9-410B-957F-C170568412AA.jpeg

Yes, it’s right next to the tea hut. 

also another place is loughton. 
baldwins hill. Steeper hill but watch out for the lake at the bottom!

Edited by john mac1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Tonight aside next week is looking bitter. GFS 06z hinting (again) the cold will be extended into next weekend. It always over-cooks the initial Atlantic breakdown. It’s also giving us a more direct feed of cold through next week - I think it’s gonna get very interesting come late next week !! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & Snowy, Hot & Sunny & Thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Thanks John..is the hill near the golf course ? 

657F7A60-A4EB-4854-83FC-A80BC63D7339.jpeg

Tea kiosk is in Rushey Plain you can see it on google streetview.

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, E17boy said:

Morning peeps

Well after last night upbeat the nerves are starting to shake again. I could hardly sleep last nights, just so bit concerned  about where I am in NE London Walthamstow. From what I can see it's looking ok but  I am in doubts anyone like to temper my nerves lol

You are in a similar boat to my location in terms of Western extent it reaches, but may benefit from being more south IMHO.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Snowflake Queen said:

My weather forecast ⛄⛄

E9998FB9-72F0-413A-8D8D-F9E6C9124E79.png

Looks for all the world like someone bent over to do up their shoelaces and then froze to death in the image

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

So I'm guessing me being 10 mins away from Ashford mean im in a good spot 

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, E17boy said:

Morning peeps

Well after last night upbeat the nerves are starting to shake again. I could hardly sleep last nights, just so bit concerned  about where I am in NE London Walthamstow. From what I can see it's looking ok but  I am in doubts anyone like to temper my nerves lol

Some sleet showing on MetOffice for us after a few hrs of heavy snow fall...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C
1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

I dont think some realise just how close we are now to a Red Alert, just 1 tick away on the Matrix now

Red Alerts tend to be Issued as the event is happening or things are so firmed up just before the event is started.

Some Instances of this over the years were the very first ever one in South Devon when it was apparant things were much worse than expected and loss of life was possible, or a few hours before the event like the Snow event in 2009.

I know its a Sunday and Lockdown but if Blizzard conditions are accompanying snow there really will not be any visibility on the roads and hence a danger to life if travelling.

Yellow Warnings now extended to Wednesday as well.

I know some will mock this post as over exagerating but we are very close to the top upgrade now, there is a big difference to 50cm of Snow on a Scottish Mountain and Blizzards in heavily populated areas with lots of road traffic. Hence why its hard to get a Red Alert on Scottish Mountains

How much snow do you think we might get round here Paul? 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Atmogenic said:

Yup

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Would not the fact its a Sunday and we're in lockdown lower the chances of a red alert being issues? 

I hope Vaccines aren't too badly affected mind! 

Posted

@Paul Sherman

my only concern at the moment is that the wind is too strong and blows the snow around too much, preventing it from settling. 

I am still unsure as to how much we will get as the warnings are conflicting amounts for the more you come intowards SE london. Not fully convinced Westminster will be badly hit when i go to work monday. 

or has the recent years of let downs, anti-climaxes and disappointments just jaded my outlook?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Just posted this in the MOD thread - wind chill prediction for next Saturday according to the GFS.  Incredible!

image.thumb.png.aa655442343ad955309bfb327ff48ba7.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely
10 minutes ago, Hotspur62 said:

The Amber Warning for tomorrow has shifted about 8 miles westwards on southern end and moved a little further North into Norfolk.The warning has also been extended timewise from 4am tomorrow till 9am Monday morning.Kentspur-If this comes off you will get walloped.My mate lives in West Kingsdown which is now in Amber zone and he COULD receive 25-30cms by end of this warning(hills of north Kent-quote from warning).

This all feels quite surreal atm as it is 6 degrees in Locksbottom not a breath of wind and sunny.Have already tidied garden up ready for the snow.Good luck to everyone and let’s hope this time next week we will be reviewing an epic cold spell for all of us.Those that miss out tomorrow and Monday look out for that feature Icon shows-Tuesday night into Wednesday could provide Hampshire Surrey Sussex and West London with a nice covering-one to watch over next 24-36hours on the models

stay safe

When Beast from the east 2018, the Amber warning was fairly similar if I remember, covered little more of Norfolk then at present...like Now Attleborough was just on the fringe of Amber...Thetford 8 miles away was in Yellow warning had about 2” not many road issues.Here we had about 6”, then when I traveled to work in Norwich nearly 9” so all interesting set ups

3 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

I dont think some realise just how close we are now to a Red Alert, just 1 tick away on the Matrix now

Red Alerts tend to be Issued as the event is happening or things are so firmed up just before the event is started.

Some Instances of this over the years were the very first ever one in South Devon when it was apparant things were much worse than expected and loss of life was possible, or a few hours before the event like the Snow event in 2009.

I know its a Sunday and Lockdown but if Blizzard conditions are accompanying snow there really will not be any visibility on the roads and hence a danger to life if travelling.

Yellow Warnings now extended to Wednesday as well.

I know some will mock this post as over exagerating but we are very close to the top upgrade now, there is a big difference to 50cm of Snow on a Scottish Mountain and Blizzards in heavily populated areas with lots of road traffic. Hence why its hard to get a Red Alert on Scottish Mountains

My posts are light hearted fun Paul ,I’m sure your fully aware of that by now lol. I hope we all get to see a great event happen ! Good Luck all 

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Atmogenic said:

Same here

Posted
2 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

How much snow do you think we might get round here Paul? 

We should be well placed for at least 2 events out of this 

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, snowy weather said:

Was expecting a huge downgrade as that usual happens next  morning but its looking better and better here in Crawley. Metoffice is adamant we will get continuous  snow from Saturday night to Monday night. And with temps well below zero and staying that way till Thursday/Fridsy  the snow could be around for a while. I'm so excited hhaha. 

As there been a westward shift? The amber warning has been creeping ever more slowly towards Crawley. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
5 hours ago, LightningLover said:

My met office app somehow manages to show sleet in the morning after a few hours of heavy snow (but transitions back to snow later in the day) haha! Surely not...

C0CF991A-E584-4082-A448-9C508DFE8074.jpeg

Yep, people wanted it to move northwest and thst allows the warm sector to hit coastal SE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
6 minutes ago, Atmogenic said:

I'm just 20 minutes away down here BBC going for crazy snow amounts 40 Hours over the next 3 days or something like that. 

• Like 1