Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
4 minutes ago, essexweather said:

Just posted by the Met on their site. Been a while since there has been such a snowy short range forecast 

fc.png

se.png

I like how many times Kent is mentioned in the southeast forecast lol

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & Snowy, Hot & Sunny & Thunderstorms
45 minutes ago, XLNC said:

When I worked for the Railways it was 30cm and above after that you require a plough.

8 inches above the railhead... job stopped.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Heat, Fog

It's quite possible these snowy scenes from 2nd Feb 2009 could be repeated in London again this weekend?

Certainly looking snowy for Suffolk!

P1040108dds.jpg

P1040115ee.jpg

Edited by Juanmoorchants
  • Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, Juanmoorchants said:

It's quite possible these snowy scenes from 2nd Feb 2009 could be repeated in London again this weekend?

Certainly looking snowy for Suffolk!

P1040108dds.jpg

P1040115ee.jpg

The benchmark is TfL cancelling all busses 

Probably wouldn't be a great thing for the current time

Edited by londonblizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

It will be interesting to see how this all pans out. It looks like a few late nights of both radar and lamp post watching, but this is the best set-up we have had for quite a while. It could be memorable!

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
28 minutes ago, Arrows1986 said:

Do we think the this spell will warrant red warnings for the east...

We'll see, but when you factor in the wind type of snow, more than likely I think.

• Like 1

Posted
42 minutes ago, Downpour said:

Yes that was quite an event, 2 Feb 09 was another one where central London got smashed. Think there was one in 2005 too?

Yeah, had a thundersnow event here in 2005 with lightning hitting the roof opposite and over 4cm in half an hour of really heavy snowfall. I joined this forum that night I think?

• Like 2

Posted
21 minutes ago, Spraggyy said:

I like how many times Kent is mentioned in the southeast forecast lol

Me too lol.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Fellow snow nuts...can someone help me out.  I'm in Great Horkeseley, north of Colchester on the Suffolk border.  I've been so excited since Monday and counting the days down.  So why do I feel so flat now?  It still looks decent for my neck of the woods...why do I feel like it's been downgraded?  Why am I feeling on a downer?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
2 minutes ago, Sno' problem said:

Yeah, had a thundersnow event here in 2005 with lightning hitting the roof opposite and over 4cm in half an hour of really heavy snowfall. I joined this forum that night I think?

2004 that was. Remember as I was in my last year of Sixth Form on my way home from an interview at my first choice University. Got out of the train station in NE London to be met by an almighty snowstorm!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Dj fart said:

Fellow snow nuts...can someone help me out.  I'm in Great Horkeseley, north of Colchester on the Suffolk border.  I've been so excited since Monday and counting the days down.  So why do I feel so flat now?  It still looks decent for my neck of the woods...why do I feel like it's been downgraded?  Why am I feeling on a downer?

You are probably just tired it's late, and you've probably been running on adrenaline reading about the snow. And on that note, I'm going to get some shut eye my self.

Posted
Just now, danm said:

2004 that was. Remember as I was in my last year of Sixth Form on my way home from an interview at my first choice University. Got out of the train station in NE London to be met by an almighty snowstorm!

You're right! That was astonishing,,, I have only ever seen snow like that in the Rockies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
4 hours ago, Paul Sherman said:

Meopham for me around 32cm by Midday Monday then topping out at 45cm by Midday Wednesday.

I really think this will be hit by the triple whammy of snow band, Mid Kent Streamer and the bottom of the Thames Streamer.

Exactly what I was going to say Meopham/Vigo village to the south of me as you say they get the double whammy of both streamer types there in 2010 there was almost 1.5ft level snow!!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Dj fart said:

No idea... I'd swap places with you in an instant. You'll do well up there.

Posted
1 minute ago, danm said:

Yep first and last time i've ever heard thundersnow. I seem to remember that being frontal snow moving down from the north?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
Just now, londonblizzard said:

Yep first and last time i've ever heard thundersnow. I seem to remember that being frontal snow moving down from the north?

Yes it was. Very intense band embedded in an arctic airmass.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, danm said:

Yes it was. Very intense band embedded in an arctic airmass.

Was that the one that froze solid straight after... and the roads were like skating rinks?

Posted
2 minutes ago, Icebox said:

Was that the one that froze solid straight after... and the roads were like skating rinks?

Yup!  

I'm off to bed, it's undoubtedly going to be a long night tomorrow. Sweet dreams folks and good luck for everyone in the coming days!

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted
1 minute ago, Sno' problem said:

Yup!

Thought it was... took me three hours to get from Bow to Tilbury!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold, ice, frost, thundersnow,

Not many Berkshire/Hampshire/Oxfordshire/Buckinghamshire/Surrey peeps on this thread or the CS England regional thread I see

Being in NE Hampshire, I think I will end up with 2-3 inches of snow by the end of Sunday, being on the very edge of Storm Darcy. That's my prediction. Depends partly on the transition Saturday night and how quickly snow settles.

MO forecasts seem optimistic about snow flurries continuing for much of the day here on Sunday.

I'm more curious about potential streamers, especially if a Thames streamer sets up and winds veer ENE. Usually in this case the streamer goes through London then heads down the M3 towards Basingstoke, affecting areas roughly between the M4 and A3/A31 with varying degrees of snow amounts. If NE it may head more towards Surrey and Kent, with areas near Guildford, south of London getting the snow, becoming more borderline for areas near the M3 though.

I think away from the very east (parts of Kent, Essex and Suffolk) a Thames streamer would be far more disruptive snow wise than the outer bands of Storm Darcy.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Right, night all.  Not intending to stay up late tomorrow night as I hope to be about for the Super Bowl...so here's to us and good luck all!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
4 hours ago, Dr cat said:

If only. Expecting around 5 if that?

8627A724-D88E-41AA-9B38-838EE509829B.jpeg

Almost even chance for Gravesend to see 10-15cms as 15-25cms interestingly higher % chance for the later than places East of me such as Rochester 

Posted
3 hours ago, Southender said:

To be honest with the last 3 years we’ve had along with others in this region, I said to myself on Wednesday I’d be chuffed with 5-10cm. Genuinely. As long as we hit that I’m happy. 20-25cm is bonkers and probably a once in 10+ years type event. I just hope that most in the region can get at least a light covering, especially those that haven’t seen a flake in 3 years like us!

Like you Gravesend has had no snow in 3 years, I was debating would I take a bigger snow event like 25cms or a more modest 5-7cms event and the same as Places North and West of London  had in January just to say that I had 2 snow events in 1 winter, and actually I think 2 smaller events is better than one bigger event albeit Januarys snow didn't stick for as long as this will in London etc.

Won't lie I was absolutely gutted when all I saw was sleety rain falling out my window for the umpteenth time this winter/last 3 winters the other day, while friends in Surrey and Hertfordshire were sending me pics making snowmen and sledging.

So we really deserve to be in the jackpot zone mate- it's almost as if the weathers evening out I really hope this happens for us both in S Essex and N/NW Kent

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 1