Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.
9 minutes ago, abovefreezing said:

It's horrible thou if you need to go to work, it's enough to be dangerous but not enough for a Snow Day!

Well take extra care and stay safe: it must be horrid and unsettling for you. I have been reading lots of reports about driving conditions. Ice is going to be a problem for many who walk too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
42 minutes ago, Marie said:

Still coming down here , laying everywhere apart from the roads , it’s blowing around a bit so seems patchy in places .I’m hoping we can get a little more for people to enjoy but don’t want to be greedy  

We have a very minor dusting now too.

Looking at the radar the snow band seemed to weaken as it approached Saltdean,then incredibly reinvigorate as it hit Brighton.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather
42 minutes ago, abovefreezing said:

It's crap here, too, though maybe a couple of inches has accumulated -- its not present on some surfaces (paths). So its shitey -- not enough to cause a snow day, but just enough to be bloody dangerous to travel in. I'd rather it either snowed properly, or not at all.

Yeah same. So wanted a day off work with the kids. I got a bit aggy yesterday about it but felt so let down by the weather. It’s hard to describe but, for me, snowing is about as close as I can get to recreating being a kid and that feeling of anticipation around Christmas. My wife laughed but it’s true. It’s so frustrating because prior to the snow we had 12 hours of persistent, heavy rain. We finally get it cold enough for snow but the precipitation seemed to fade out pretty quick in my opinion. Yeah some spots did well and I’m super jealous but god it was like pulling teeth yesterday here with it. Dire really 

• Like 2

Posted

Defo got some more overnight in canterbury! Now all surfaces have a good covering. It is still snowing lightly too. However, roads looks like an ice rink. Hoping for this light snow to continue for the day! Looks like it will according to forecasts with the odd heavier bit possible. Hope more people get some! Met certainly confident I’ll see more, heavy snow on and off all day, taken with a pinch of salt tho! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

This is my parents garden in Ipswich this morning, they estimate about 8inches/20cm of snow. Still snowing but only lightly, however I reckon they can expect another 5 to 10cm over next couple of days! I never saw that much snow in the 23 years I lived there with them!!

• Like 6

Posted

Lots of Snizzle after some Moderate Snow around Midnight. 

We are still too close to the sinking and fading Darcy but am hopeful the period from Midnight tonight until Midday Tuesday will bring along proper snow showers that at least might go yellow and orange on the radar intensity and not this light and dark blue rubbish.

Roads around here were lethal last night, nobody I have spoken to has even seen a Gritter on the roads. Most of the Hills (Yes believe it or not we do have Hills around here) were death traps, Bread and Cheese Hill, Crown Hill, Church Lane all bad, the hill on the A127 from Fairglen into Rayleigh Weir was also closed for a time last night due to accidents.

Stay safe out there its the ice thats the talking point at the moment not the snow, but there could be some deeper falls as we go into Tuesday. Then a couple of dry days and drying days to firm up the ground below the snow as its really muddy still underneath the snow cover.

7am Obs

Temp is -2c

Dewp is -4c

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

woken up to a dusting. 

Oh well at least we had some snow.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Biggin said:

Precip is almost stationary in the SE

It’s just light snow. Doesn’t look to be moving at all. Bit like the fine rain you’d get soaked in but it’s snow today! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Lightest of dustings overnight to add to what we had yesterday but not expecting any more today where we are. We did OK I suppose, bearing in mind less than 5 miles SW got next to nothing.

• Like 2

Posted

Also, LOVE how this cold spell seems to just be extending slowly. Models always underestimate  the block. Can’t see snow melting for at least 4/5 days! Wasn’t it meant to be fully mild by Wednesday! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

Nice to see Milton Keynes have not bothered putting the gritters out yesterday. Roads are horrendous .

• Like 1

Posted

Not working today, after that deliveries to doctors surgeries in Suffolk and Essex. it's going to be a long week!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold

A chilly night here in Farnham, Surrey 

Woke up to (and I counted) about 6 tiny flakes being blown around outside! 

im hoping as it’s going to be so cold this week something surprising might happen but won’t hold my breath!

stay safe on the roads! 

temp -1.2 

Do -3.4 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Pretty poor here overall. Probably 1cm tops, I bet there are places in the west of England that have done better. Convection blowing way further inland up north, just decaying rubbish down here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Euro 4 going for a Baltic snow train for the next couple of days (nice to see these realising that most of the showers will develop there under even colder air and travel this way). It would deliver a solid covering here (despite being well inland from where the showers come in). Commuting to work could be interesting, or in particular going home given I am on the afternoon shift and will be leaving at 10pm.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted

Lol metoffice app has changed to heavy snow for my location today, light snow from now until 19.00 heavy snow at 13.00 and 16.00, bbc app just goes for cloudy and dry all day 

Posted
1 hour ago, Surrey said:

EURO4 kinda picking out the shower activity... The AROME is... Very nice charts for the region... The actual met warnings now suggest quite widely 1-3cm with anyone caught under a streamer or streams of showers 5-10cm these are daily accumulations as well.. so by Wednesday some people in the East might be over 30cm!!

623265850_arome1.thumb.jpg.1c4bc96eb2a0384f702189a5cf0bb025.jpg1206237011_arome2.thumb.jpg.e021c022a6b08fc3bae348abdb08fa4e.jpg1374259124_arome3.thumb.jpg.12eddd416792de67064e46b3fcb05c0d.jpg976710410_arome4.thumb.jpg.dbd41e734b2457ab9db2a77b139977cd.jpg2073600291_arome5.thumb.jpg.69fcac924885e82b018c102c7d7329ad.jpg817999316_arome6.thumb.jpg.f0785c43bf56d9e86a57ee9eb4aca761.jpg

Is it being over active with the shower activity? I don't think so given the setup from today ..

-10 uppers and even some -12 uppers approaching stiff NE - E wind which becomes even more favourable through today  

The flow looks to become less favourable for showers from Wednesday morning as it veers round more northly.. So a solid 2 days of showers.. streamers and surprises.. 

ARPEGE SMELLING THE COFFEE

799699227_ARPEGE1.thumb.jpg.93575212aa707da1794a9438b15735b5.jpg1937414809_ARPEGE2.thumb.jpg.dad22ec0c951f3cc026b094719ff5399.jpg1800957015_ARPEGE3.thumb.jpg.e57a7498f2804077b1bf51d1fc092a9a.jpg8786770_ARPEGE4.thumb.jpg.78b06db1048503114af0c5432e503bd7.jpg

Like that almost permanent snow for my area due to the  Thames Streamer. Wind direction doesnt change much all day

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!

Nice to wake up to everything completely white, if only about a centimeter at most. 

Looking east now at the changing direction and build of the precip in the estuary. 

Edited by Mark

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Slight top up overnight of probably another cm, even the garden has a drift of snow to one side. 

20210208_072144.thumb.jpg.51f628e4b6ef0aa5a609c00aea6e86dd.jpg

Bitterly cold outside, current temp -3.1C, DP -4.8C. No worries of marginality. 

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

It's snowing again! Told my sleepy daughter who opened her eyes and went back to sleep again!.

Mummy is nice and cosy with her cuppa watching it.

Posted

the snow is impressively heavy still! nice big flakes hammering it down, if it got any heavier it’d be bordering on blizzard conditions