Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
1 minute ago, fujita5 said:

In my experience, more off road vehicles end up in ditches than any other type because the drivers seem to think they can drive however they want because they have "special" vehicles. 

Ha this one appears to have gone through a brick wall!!!

Posted
2 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

To get started darcy is the clear fly in ointment for pressure apply on convective application!.. however as things progress and she tames.. the notion is definitely building for more of a direct easterly.. not a flat zone horizontal.. but likely a more productive 1. Without so much north easterly component.   And south of that dark black iso line... which is pretty much most of us... are in the potential game...it’s half time.. rather than an orange pour a drink ..and await 2nd half possibility!!!.. the precipitation gate is more than still open...

31CF2EFB-669A-47A2-80BB-663873ECA099.png

965996AD-E966-43D7-88BE-9C040A2B48FD.png

When will it move on?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings
2 minutes ago, fujita5 said:

In my experience, more off road vehicles end up in ditches than any other type because the drivers seem to think they can drive however they want because they have "special" vehicles. 

Summer tyres and way too much confidence in a 4x4 sold to them by a dealership selling the dream. I worked for Range rover years ago, generally without winter tyres they are awful in the snow. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Radar has a deadzone over SE essex and clacton.

Thought everything was just hitting the coast and instantly dying then was surprised when the blobs made it through. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
10 minutes ago, Matty88 said:

As is the nature of these set ups it’s never a reliable form of snow for most in EA unless a polar low or organised front forms.. hit and miss. Still - the next few days may come up with the goods for some here. 
let’s face it though - I was in The supermarket today and you could Hear people saying ‘where’s all this snow then’ to one and other - to the average joe the likes of Beeb and meto have really set themselves up for a fall so far, the meto written forecasts in particular have been so vague, broad brush garbage depicting blizzards for the entire region on an epic scale, which it really hasn’t been. They are their own worse enemy !! 

anyway - we have a light sprinkling here now which is something at least! I’m grateful for that, could easily have had zilch from this kind of setup. 

Same here regarding hearing people talking about where all the snow is. People that I know around here just laugh when ever snow is forcast or if I mention it, probably because they know 99% of the time it just isn't going to happen, and IF it does it's just a few flurries at best.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Three fine days and a thunderstorm

Continental powder snow here on Suffolk coast since around 1830.

Earlier snow and water on roads frozen solid underneath, large accumulations on open routes due to drifts.

This is on par atm with 2018 round the area so will end up beating it.

Schools closed to all key workers kids so no sideways action in my bus like the Essex boys.

Take care if traveling in the area better still stay in.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Midnight here in Latvia, i am on night duty running taps every hour and the pump from the well every 30 mins, breaking up ice in water troughs for the sheep, and only errr... minus 19c outside. Could get to minus 27c over then next few days. Seems only to snow here between 1c and minus 10c. Had snow on and off and coverage since before Christmas Day.

Had Beaming site's Hastings Webcam on for large parts of the day. Seems go have had some moderate snow earlier. During the day it pans around the coast and at night remains static but can see flakes blowing around at times.

Anyone got settling snow in Hastings? Seen reports in Bexhill.

Thought I might miss a rare event but seems I haven't missed much.

Yan can still go back to around 9.30/10.30 this morning for the heaviest. 

SeaWithBoat.jpg
WWW.BEAMING.CO.UK

The Hastings coastal webcam takes in Hastings Pier, Hastings Old Town , Hastings Beach and the English Channel. Brought to you by Beaming, the business ISP.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Not here unfortunately, looking at the radar I'd have thought there would be something to show but Nada on the ground or anywhere.

Admittedly not much, but you might see something falling out of the sky in the next couple of hours... 

Posted
1 minute ago, Snowman. said:

Radar has a deadzone over SE essex and clacton.

Thought everything was just hitting the coast and instantly dying then was surprised when the blobs made it through. 

Yep, when the precip is heavy, it shows it lighter over Clacton, when it's light or shows nothing. Can get very confusing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Here's an image from a minute ago to put today in a bit of perspective . How often do we see a radar image of the UK that's entirely pink - no sleet, no rain, just snow from North to South.

There was  bit of rain down to the SW near Brest but I've decided it's French and so nothing to do with us.

Looking forward to seeing what tomorrow morning brings

Pinky.png

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Not here unfortunately, looking at the radar I'd have thought there would be something to show but Nada on the ground or anywhere.

Had some ice pellets here but that's it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Slight concern regarding the break and stalling of the stuff coming out of Holland and across the North Sea on the latest radar shots.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
15 minutes ago, pinball wizard said:

Ha this one appears to have gone through a brick wall!!!

Oh dear, I hope everyone is alright.

Posted
17 minutes ago, Sparky68 said:

Summer tyres and way too much confidence in a 4x4 sold to them by a dealership selling the dream. I worked for Range rover years ago, generally without winter tyres they are awful in the snow. 

Totally agree. Having lived in Canada for best part of 16 years. Winter tires make a huge difference- they’re designed to help with traction, vibrate snow off them and remain softer for better grip. Makes a world of difference.

But you get people who buy a 4x4 and think it’ll drive fine in any snowy conditions with summer tires. And they soon find out it doesn’t 

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

Admittedly not much, but you might see something falling out of the sky in the next couple of hours... 

I will probably be asleep by that time to be honest so I will only know in close examination of the car tomorrow  morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
15 minutes ago, Bolt From Blue said:

Continental powder snow here on Suffolk coast since around 1830.

Earlier snow and water on roads frozen solid underneath, large accumulations on open routes due to drifts.

This is on par atm with 2018 round the area so will end up beating it.

Schools closed to all key workers kids so no sideways action in my bus like the Essex boys.

Take care if traveling in the area better still stay in.

Schools are closed for key worker kids here to tomorrow. Dover is probably cut off, yep seems like a big town, but capel will be a no go, the a20 gets quite treacherous in this type of weather, and you got to go through Lyndon or Whitfield to hit the A2, both will be no go areas driving wise.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

Slight concern regarding the break and stalling of the stuff coming out of Holland and across the North Sea on the latest radar shots.

The end is near unfortunately 

Posted

Night all, hope for the most part you all got to see some decent falling snow and perhaps an accumulation. There's a little where I am and I do feel lucky, it's the most we've had here for a few years. Not too keen on the drive to work tomorrow, it's only a few miles but it's inland and slightly more elevated, the roads are going to be awful! At least the scenery will be that unique blanket of snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat
1 minute ago, jright35 said:

The end is near unfortunately 

Did it ever begin

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings
3 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

Totally agree. Having lived in Canada for best part of 16 years. Winter tires make a huge difference- they’re designed to help with traction, vibrate snow off them and remain softer for better grip. Makes a world of difference 

The thin cuts in them are designed to trap snow and increase grip. In Germany its a law to swap to Winter tyres at a certain point in the year. We dont get enough snow to warrant it.