Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

I’m presuming as it’s so quiet in here tonight that nothing is due to happen overnight worth mentioning ?  I’m not going to lie today was a bit of a let down for me , but I’m happy that I actually saw falling snow !! There was a point that I thought it was going to start accumulating but then it stopped and the sun came back out ?‍♀️

• Like 2

Posted

Sheppey, north Kent at sea level - doing alright too. It just shows now, if you get snow, it’ll have an impact.

02327B7C-AAD5-4C6E-A92C-89DF6876ACFE.jpeg

0555AB78-CA97-49D8-B19E-963A25B77112.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS
1 minute ago, Eastips85 said:

A truly epic day in East Ipswich non stop snow since 07:00 and currently blizzard conditions outside at 21:30. Hard to judge a reliable depth with drifting tho must be 12cms + Beats 2010 for me just purely on persistence of snow. Could be a once in a lifetime event for me with global warning ( I’m 35 ) 

Totally agree.

Same here , snowing since 7.30.

Still snowing.

My last measure was around 8cm but that was 4 hours ago and its snowed plenty since.

Will get ruler out in the morning after anything else that we get tonight.

Think its gonna be on par wth 2013.

Will go down as a special one to add to the old ones.

18 wasnt  all that special for snowfall here just brutal cold.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings
Just now, Marie said:

I’m presuming as it’s so quiet in here tonight that nothing is due to happen overnight worth mentioning ?  I’m not going to lie today was a bit of a let down for me , but I’m happy that I actually saw falling snow !! There was a point that I thought it was going to start accumulating but then it stopped and the sun came back out ?‍♀️

Look on the bright side , the rest of the year you get to live in one of our fave places.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Heat, Fog
2 minutes ago, suffolkboy_ said:

Farmer friend of mine has had to rescue 4 cars stuck in drifts tonight in East Suffolk. He's just got back home and there's reports of another one stuck. Could be a long night.

Not surprised. Wish him well in these conditions. The biting wind and drifting is a problem

Edited by Juanmoorchants
  • Like 1

Posted

The streamer seems to fizzle out quickly as it goes inland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Ice is going to be an issue tomorrow as by 7pm it was already slippy. Be safe everyone! Off to bed with a hot choc! Goodnight

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat
2 minutes ago, Sparky68 said:

Look on the bright side , the rest of the year you get to live in one of our fave places.

Oh I know I’m lucky to live in a great place , lovely summers etc but I still want snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings
Just now, Marie said:

Oh I know I’m lucky to live in a great place , lovely summers etc but I still want snow

Up until the pandemic we stayed in Brighton for a weekend every year, normally the Boutique hotels, love it there.

• Like 2

Posted

As is the nature of these set ups it’s never a reliable form of snow for most in EA unless a polar low or organised front forms.. hit and miss. Still - the next few days may come up with the goods for some here. 
let’s face it though - I was in The supermarket today and you could Hear people saying ‘where’s all this snow then’ to one and other - to the average joe the likes of Beeb and meto have really set themselves up for a fall so far, the meto written forecasts in particular have been so vague, broad brush garbage depicting blizzards for the entire region on an epic scale, which it really hasn’t been. They are their own worse enemy !! 

anyway - we have a light sprinkling here now which is something at least! I’m grateful for that, could easily have had zilch from this kind of setup. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Dbarb said:

The streamer seems to fizzle out quickly as it goes inland

Winds are still predominantly North East. Need more of an Easterly feed for them to be pushed in land. This should happen over night and into tomorrow as todays low slips away to the south.

Screenshot 2021-02-07 at 21.54.46.png

• Like 2

Posted

Here in lowland East London we've had a dusting on most surfaces but it is very cold - now below freezing - and any snow has become that icy mass which sticks to bin lids, car doors and the like.

Some slight breaks in the overcast so it will be a penetrating frost with the notable wind chill.

Day 1 of the cold spell over and while it would have been nice to see more snow settle it was just the wrong side of marginal for most of the day for me. We've never had the big wet snowflakes of a real marginal event - it's been the lighter more persistent snow but the ground has needed more time to cool and dry after yesterday's rain but we have lying snow, albeit a dusting, for the first time in winter for some while.

Posted
10 minutes ago, craigore said:

Totally agree.

Same here , snowing since 7.30.

Still snowing.

My last measure was around 8cm but that was 4 hours ago and its snowed plenty since.

Will get ruler out in the morning after anything else that we get tonight.

Think its gonna be on par wth 2013.

Will go down as a special one to add to the old ones.

18 wasnt  all that special for snowfall here just brutal cold.

Yeah I'll measure tomorrow too (snow, ....obviously )

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Just about managed a dusting on car windscreens from a tiny streamer!

Good job.

I'm still on zero and fully expect to be this time on Friday as well.

Keep the photos coming everyone!

Posted

Ok, winds taking on a slightly more easterly direction. Light snow showers feeding through to west and south Western areas of our region. Some who thought they would get nothing might get a dusting at least. For me, it's probably going to need a Thames streamer to fire up. Keeping a close eye on the Thames estuary.... ?️❄️

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, pinball wizard said:

A Range Rover of all vehicles has just crashed near to my house, road been gritted twice in the last four hours yet totally covered. 

DSC_0207.JPG

In my experience, more off road vehicles end up in ditches than any other type because the drivers seem to think they can drive however they want because they have "special" vehicles. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

To get started darcy is the clear fly in ointment for pressure apply on convective application!.. however as things progress and she tames.. the notion is definitely building for more of a direct easterly.. not a flat zone horizontal.. but likely a more productive 1. Without so much north easterly component.   And south of that dark black iso line... which is pretty much most of us... are in the potential game...it’s half time.. rather than an orange pour a drink ..and await 2nd half possibility!!!.. the precipitation gate is more than still open...

31CF2EFB-669A-47A2-80BB-663873ECA099.png

965996AD-E966-43D7-88BE-9C040A2B48FD.png

• Like 6

Posted
Just now, bobbydog said:

Ok, winds taking on a slightly more easterly direction. Light snow showers feeding through to west and south Western areas of our region. Some who thought they would get nothing might get a dusting at least. For me, it's probably going to need a Thames streamer to fire up. Keeping a close eye on the Thames estuary.... ?️❄️

Not here unfortunately, looking at the radar I'd have thought there would be something to show but Nada on the ground or anywhere.