Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
10 minutes ago, masked_firefly said:

Is Ipswich still in the firing line for any more of the streamers/snow bands?.

Does anyone have a good radar link for me please? 

Here's a link to a Dutch radar mate. It gives a guesstimate of precipitation for the next three hours. Remember to take off an hour for the time difference

br-logo-square.png
WWW.BUIENRADAR.NL

Waar in Europa gaat het regenen? De Europese buienradar toont het je

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Neilsouth said:

That isn't accurate at all ^

Yes it is bud. Medway have had snow all day - barely anything settled. We do better with a more easterly element.

• Like 1

Posted

Still got some snow in the air even though there's no cloud, is it possible that snow can drift and get airborne from miles away?

• Like 1

Posted

Pretty much snowed for 12 hours solid in Canterbury, very light at the moment but radar shows more coming this way , is now around -2.1 C.

Pavements and road frozen solid, roads look menacing now. Would not want to drive anywhere tomorrow.

Metoffice going for heavier spell of snow overnight, with lighter but continual snow on Monday ,  Beeb have light snow overnight , heavier spell around 1PM tomorrow and the Netweather model moderate snow until around 7am tomorrow followed by some really bone chilling days..

Keep safe

Posted

quick update, had a lull in the snow late afternoon but just seen massive fall of powdery snow falling being whipped up by very strong wind, looks like its giving another good covering, our little town or should i say our road is very sparse for street lights but snow showing up very clearly in orange glow. luckily neighbours front security light on so can see snow covering their drive much thicker than earlier, wind seems to be swirling a lot.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

So this is officially the worst location in the entire uk for both storms and snow, what shield name does this require??? The shield of complete weather-lessness ...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Heavy snow here!! Filling in the gaps  

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Freeze said:

So this is officially the worst location in the entire uk for both storms and snow, what shield name does this require??? The shield of complete weather-lessness ...

Same here in Worthing 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

To add to my point about the Met Office,  here's the forecast for Maidstone with nothing falling and nothing in the radar pipeline whatsoever. Happened two weeks ago as well. 

The longer they keep the Amber warning the more silly they'll look!

Screenshot_20210207-185157_Chrome.jpg

47 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I suspect by the end of tomorrow there will be plenty of parts around the amber warning that will have similar amounts. You may well be on for 30cms, I'm sure someone will end up getting in that ballpark.

Fingers crossed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
4 minutes ago, Dbarb said:

Still got some snow in the air even though there's no cloud, is it possible that snow can drift and get airborne from miles away?

Absolutely!

Posted

Snow settling on the cars and a tiny tiny bit on the roads. Best we’ll probably get in Hampstead but still better than some in the West so can’t complain. 

I see people writing the rest of the week off for any significant snow, that’s such a shame :( 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 minute ago, Bradley in Kent said:

To add to my point about the Met Office,  here's the forecast for Maidstone with nothing falling and nothing in the radar pipeline whatsoever. Happened two weeks ago as well. 

The longer they keep the Amber warning the more silly they'll look!

Screenshot_20210207-185157_Chrome.jpg

1 - computer generated forecast, so why even follow it when it’s known they struggle in a snow set up.

2 - there is snow a matter of miles from you! It’s covering a broad area.

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Fax charts picking these up for tomorrow night, Tuesday and indeed Wednesday 

image.thumb.png.5035833346a71940135415b7172961ba.png   image.thumb.png.47400c49e50467539107d3632d8ff82b.png  image.thumb.png.d9ee529a37e3c714f9d08b7c2ced2c23.png 

image.thumb.png.f4cfbeaa09dbbfaaef2d5ba84cb36962.png   

This suggests reasonable chances for a good chunk of East Anglia over the coming days, in fact the Euro 4 gives a covering for most of East Anglia (Some parts seeing over 10cm). Areas south west of London appear to struggle though.

End of run

image.thumb.png.f8c20d249a3be7d6b2574c6435080c18.png

Yes the model shows higher than I have stated, but at this moment it is better to be conservative and then be delighted if some spots see big totals. Still a solid 72 hours (Eastern parts probably the full amount of time, western parts probably seeing conditions turn sunnier through Wednesday).

Hmn that has me at 30-40cms.....

• Like 1

Posted

Had light blowing snow all day with nothing settling, Been out to collect father-in- law from hospital, arrived home and all the cars have a covering and it’s settled on the gras too...what’s changed.? (Enfield, N London)

Posted

What has happened to the extra vorticity spreading north westwards. Wasn’t that supposed to pep up the snow and move it nw? 
The whole lot seems to be shrinking. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat
6 minutes ago, clark3r said:

Same here in Worthing 

Same here in portslade 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, spayne said:

Had light blowing snow all day with nothing settling, Been out to collect father-in- law from hospital, arrived home and all the cars have a covering and it’s settled on the gras too...what’s changed.? (Enfield, N London)

Yup, I'm in Edmonton and it came out of nowhere!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather
11 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

That isn't accurate at all ^

Your constant moaning over the years tends to not be very accurate either buddy. Try to chill out and be a bit of a happier person mate. I'm sure at the end of the day your excited for any cold snowy weather that may happen!  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
10 minutes ago, Dbarb said:

The wind will be whipping it up, its dry and powdery

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Dbarb said:

Absolutely. I've seen snow falling when the sky is blue and the sun is shining. I'm sure that someone way more clued up than me can explain the mechanics behind it but I guess that the snow falls high up, gets blown about in the higher atmosphere winds and lands miles away.

Edited by Bill4321

Posted

Well my partner just set off for a night shift of care work. Took me ten minutes to get all the snow off the car. Where it rained this morning there was a thick layer of ice under the snow.

The roads round here are treacherous.  The tyre tracks in the snow are now freezing solid and we've had another 2cm of very fine powder snow in the last few hours from small convective cells which are still moving over us.

Total for the day must be around 15cm now, most definitely warranted the amber warning here.

Edited by fujita5
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme seasonal events

Blizzard condition here in Margate. Been snowing most of the day.

• Like 9

Posted
22 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

I knew this would happen! As soon as the temp drops, it's night time and the pavements and road are prime for covering, it stops Snowing 

Unfortunately the switch from mild 8C yesterday to zero today happened quite quickly, and so the cold never had a chance to get into the ground I suspect.  It would have been far better if there had been a frost before it started snowing, then I suspect accumulations would have occurred more widely. Ironically the ground is freezing up now, but the frontal snow has largely died out now. It will be down to snow showers now, but if you catch one or two heavy ones you could still find several inches of lying snow in the morning.

Edited by Robbie Coldrain