Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Winters & Warm (Not Hot!) Summers

Is it my imagination or is the midkent streamer moving a bit further East in the last few frames?

Posted
5 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I suspect by the end of tomorrow there will be plenty of parts around the amber warning that will have similar amounts. You may well be on for 30cms, I'm sure someone will end up getting in that ballpark.

Kold  what’s best we can hope for in your  old stomping ground.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Delka said:

would love to know why the radar is doing such a bad job over Norfolk currently, but nice to hear that Norwich is finally in on the action!

been light snow in Dereham for over an hour now from a stream of showers, can't help but think no matter how much falls now the roads are going to be treacherous now its decided to stick on them!

Same here in king’s Lynn.

Posted

Looks like my location will be in the corridor of death for the next couple of hours, unless there is a shift in wind direction

Generally about 2cm but pavements and roads all clear. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Captain Shortwave said:

End of run

image.thumb.png.f8c20d249a3be7d6b2574c6435080c18.png

Yes the model shows higher than I have stated, but at this moment it is better to be conservative and then be delighted if some spots see big totals.

Well that run has got me with a couple of cms by the end. We therefore know to bin that run because thats not happening  I know technically the fax charts have a convergence line over my head but frankly I will believe it when I see it!

AROME and ARPEGE suggesting another 10-20cms in that amber zone still to come which will give totals anywhere from 15-30cms in large parts of Eastern EA and Kent.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

I think laying snow is fast becoming a distant memory sadly 

Posted

anyone know a good snow depth site. I tried to upload to weather quest but doesn't seem to be updating. I have 10cms here now

Posted
1 minute ago, Topdog007 said:

Kold  what’s best we can hope for in your  old stomping ground.

On a NE its not the best possible direction, much depends on how wide and strong the airflow is really and how much westward it drifts before it decays again. 

Once it shifts ENE later on Monday then I think your probably on for a decent shot at snow again.

Posted
5 minutes ago, IanT said:

I call that a streamer.

They're not really streamers, more organised bands. True streamers set up over relatively warm water, generating a "stream" of convection.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
37 minutes ago, john mac1 said:

Best snow of the day now! Everything going white in my garden! 

Yep more snow has settled here in the last hour than it did all day. Roads, pavements, cars, grass all covered in a nice dusting. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Have all the apps and radars gone stark raving mad? It's a raging blizzard outside!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
32 minutes ago, Honey said:

I’d be very happy with that !

I wont....This is , so far turning into a big big disappointment here in herts. It seems that the areas that start off with the snow end up with the snow and others dont get anything. Such a shame as this synoptic pattern is very rare nowadays and you just feel that when it happens you want to make the best of it . Such big weather systems with powerful forces at play however when it comes to snow , well it seems they are just not capable of producing it on a widespread scale these days. Are well, only weather.

Posted
19 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

The frontal system is easing off, was always expected to be replaced by heavy showers/streamers as colder air begun generating convection & winds switched round as the low pulls south. 

I suspect that's mainly the reason for the amber.

I think the amber is for the remains of the frontal system. Once this has cleared I suspect we will have the odd shower otherwise fairly dry unfortunately. Hope I’m wrong

Posted
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Well that run has got me with a couple of cms by the end. We therefore know to bin that run because thats not happening  I know technically the fax charts have a convergence line over my head but frankly I will believe it when I see it!

AROME and ARPEGE suggesting another 10-20cms in that amber zone still to come which will give totals anywhere from 15-30cms in large parts of Eastern EA and Kent.

Ha, I was literally about to flag that fax chart and tag you...

I'm torn between wanting it to hit you so you have your snow (and more importantly my own comments last night seem more prescient), and hoping that there's still time for it to end up 60 miles further East so that it hits me instead...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/storms

Well after a whole day of snow and little accumulation it's now frozen solid out there and way cold enough for it to stick but the radar don't look good with the band weakening. Its saying snow all night for our area but I'm failing to see that right now.

• Like 1

Posted

well its been snowing all types of snow flakes from graupel the large snow flakes since 7am. Its mainly been very small flakes but has built up to give around 3cms. It took until around 4pm and a blizzard of graupel to eventually cover the roads and pavements and that has lasted as the temps fell below 0c, and the icicles began to form. It was very still about 10 mins ago but the wind has just wipped up again and more grains of snow are falling. The met office app for Kenley is showing that the temp won't get above freezing until new Saturday lunchtime  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Copious amounts of snow and ice days

In the amber warning zone (just)

hours of "heavy snow" forecast

Don't know where its coming from because it definitely isn't here.

Wondering when the next chance is going to be as this was an epic fail here.

Screenshot_20210207-182351_Netweather Radar.jpg

Screenshot_20210207-182420_Met Office.jpg

Screenshot_20210207-182427_Met Office.jpg

Screenshot_20210207-182433_Met Office.jpg

Screenshot_20210207-182437_Met Office.jpg

20210207_182607.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter snow.
18 minutes ago, IanT said:

I call that a streamer.

Wish it would perk up a bit!! Looks like you might be under it soon...

Posted

Newhaven update. T -0.1 D -2.2.

Capture.thumb.PNG.2f5fbcc28b7b3868b0027478d9549fb5.PNG

Well this is frustrating. I currently have a snow accumulation of zero centimetres. Nothing. Nada

I think that my expectation levels went a bit high and I believed my own hype.

BUT... I saw my first snowflakes today in almost three years. For that I am thankful. The possibility also remains that more snow may fall at any time from now until at least Friday so despite the frustration there are many reasons to be cheerful

• Like 1