Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snowman31 said:

When if ever are we expecting this system to move westwards? 

GFS suggests it wont. It will gradually decay more or less where it is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

How have Dartford and Bexley areas got settling snow but not Northfleet/Gravesend is it warmer here or something? 9hours of constant snow pretty much has resulted in this... 

Edited by Kentspur

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Heavy burst of snizzle here giving a sugar dust coating on everything 

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
6 minutes ago, Biggin said:

Moderate persistant snow falling. This may sound funny but the snow is falling faster than before  and more intense.

Thames Streamer has begun ??

You may well be right.  I'm in Tunbridge Wells and its starting again.  Not 50p flakes I add but any brightness has gone so I will presume temps are now dropping back a bit.

• Like 1

Posted

Just a quick post before I need to hear out again.

Wrt to streamers and convection, the evening hours should in theory be better for that as you'll get nocturnal cooling higher up whilst the SSTs will only slightly adjust. This should in theory increase the lapse rates a little further which may be enough to spark off the convection and intensify it. Its IMO the main reason why streamers tend to do better coming in overnight (both 05 streamers came in overnight, as did the 09 one, can't comment about 91 or 87 though, but they were so cold aloft it may not have mattered as much.)

Its definitely not a guarantee at all, and further west it'd be wise to still go in with the attitude of getting nothing, but a dusting even without a streamer is possible here I'd have thought once the upper winds shift a little more ENE.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Been a lurker lo g time been snowing here north Shoreham-by-Sea from a out 11am big flakes little flakes now its like ice pellets small you can hear it everything getti g covered  looking at Dutch radar picks it up well

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

This 

1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Just a quick post before I need to hear out again.

Wrt to streamers and convection, the evening hours should in theory be better for that as you'll get nocturnal cooling higher up whilst the SSTs will only slightly adjust. This should in theory increase the lapse rates a little further which may be enough to spark off the convection and intensify it. Its IMO the main reason why streamers tend to do better coming in overnight (both 05 streamers came in overnight, as did the 09 one, can't comment about 91 or 87 though, but they were so cold aloft it may not have mattered as much.)

Its definitely not a guarantee at all, and further west it'd be wise to still go in with the attitude of getting nothing, but a dusting even without a streamer is possible here I'd have thought once the upper winds shift a little more ENE.

This is why it’s ideal to get these set ups from say mid to late December to late January. Sunset is out to 5pm now, and that extra hour of daylight and increasing solar input in the afternoons makes a big difference. Not massively in early feb, but still a factor.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Got some bigger flakes starting to show in the Snizzle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Also looks like showers feeding in from the wash/N Norfolk heading NE-SW on latest radar too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

More of an east to west movement in the snow band on the radar over the last 15-20mins.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
21 minutes ago, kold weather said:

No problems, I'm a bit annoyed I didn't connect that little low being a little further NW with the delayed air. I guess by that time I was running on fumes a little!

I think in any ENE airflow it will bring you into play properly rather than being on the border, lets hope so anyway!

I tried, but people just told me it's going south to France. It was so obviously far more north, than we wanted.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Such a let down today, all those years of waiting for it to snow and then when it finally does, it all melts upon impact, just makes me want to go squat in the corner of a dark room and lay an egg tbh 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Radar being a little odd today as we are now having consistent (very) light snow in Ely - but nothing showing? Either way - not complaining at all! A sign of things to come I hope