Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

Wow the sun popped out to tease us for a few minutes. Sunset tonight is 5.02. We do not seem to have the strong winds here, some any clearing skies tonight may lead to a frost, hopefully things will dry out later this week. Take care and good health to you all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
9 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I have to admit I think they could quite easily cut out the SW quadrant of that yellow forecast and none the worse for it, as there is not going to be any snow down here. If they want to cover themselves they could perhaps put a sperate ice warning in for this area as there maybe some around but your right, no way does anything out there justify a yellow for Hampshire or W.Surrey at the moment.

They will probably keep it in place just in case of a rouge convective line moves through which could put down a dusting or 1-2cms in a fairly short time, but whether or not that justifies a yellow warning, I'll leave that upto you!

They’ve jinxed it! Nothing “widespread” about this snowfall today is it ?

Posted

Been snowing all day not amounted to much steady drip drip this afternoon.  Now the drips have frozen abd still powders on falling. Hoping it will pick up later.  Definitely not been hammered here even though I am in Amber warning area. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

It is fair to say that today’s event is a little on the usual side. As such a wider envelop was needed (the set posed a genuine risk of disruptive snow and blizzards in the east). Some places do appear to have already seen over 4 inches (still falling), a lot of others unfortunately have not seen as much as was potentially predicted.

I will say that in general the models did converge on the right track better than the last regional snow event. It is just an issue with the amounts people got.

I think the issue has been the failure to get the temperatures right - the track predicition is OK but the temperatures were widely predicted to be significantly lower from the same track, which makes me wonder about the data used.  The upshot has been that many have seen falling snow but not the accumulations that were implied by those who said (vehemently!) that the one thing people shouldn't worry about was that it wouldn't be cold enough.

Posted
Just now, Snow Queen one said:

Been snowing all day not amounted to much steady drip drip this afternoon.  Now the drips have frozen abd still powders on falling. Hoping it will pick up later.  Definitely not been hammered here even though I am in Amber warning area. 

I think the Amber warning was for emotional distress rather than Snow! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Heavy Echoes forming out in the north sea

380radar2.jpg
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

Live weather radar for the UK including weather type to track whether rain, sleet or snow is falling. Updated every 5 minutes.

Clipboard02.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

Moderate persistant snow falling. This may sound funny but the snow is falling faster than before  and more intense.

Thames Streamer has begun ??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course
14 minutes ago, masked_firefly said:

Second time my 10 year old has been out today to clear the driveway! Arguably a hell of a lot more snow this time that earlier on....

Went and measured from a undisturbed spot in the garden about an hour ago and we had reached 8.5cm in Kesgrave (just outside Ipswich).

Slowing a little in intensity at the moment but we are still under the snow so more to come I would think. 

32D38805-8765-4B0F-A870-5D8F50788EDE.jpeg

87539FB5-20A8-465C-A71A-767265FD99D4.jpeg

IMG_8155.MOV

I remember doing that when i was about 10 which was in 1978! It was practically accumulating faster than I could shovel - very exciting:)

Posted

This is the view from my upstairs front window, like so many places in the region it's tried so hard to settle on paths/roads here but not quite managed it yet. There has, however, been enough snow to give plants that laden look, such as the Yew Tree hedge next to my communal path. Will be interesting to see if we end up with a full covering from the upcoming snow after dark. My Met Office forecast is still going for a lot more snow through tonight, tomorrow morning and Monday night.

Feb2021.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

The front needs to get lost and replaced by convective showers!

Yeah but the convective showers are not guaranteed 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

BBC graphics (so not to be taken too literally) showing possible streamers setting up later tonight and into tomorrow:

D3CCF865-DDA0-4908-82D1-80C4C71DD0FA.thumb.png.e3f14acc994b0c74903d845998d9443f.png44542C2E-5A9C-4BE3-A6B3-5D6E2BDE9C9B.thumb.png.5ab1cb574f7cb4c38ff1ac83429a0f76.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS
13 minutes ago, Ian Docwra said:

Has the sun been out?  With cloud and a strong wind, the temperature won't drop more than a tad after dark.

No but the conservatory is heated..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
18 minutes ago, RJM said:

At home Chartham 8.5cm (there's a stupid 1/2 cm before the measurement line start!) 3.4 inches

20210207_145038.jpg

I'm taking my reading from the ground, could post much higher total, if I included the drift against my wall, I could post high. I'm at 3.8 cm on the ground.

Posted

Are the chances of streamers appearing this evening and over the next few days still possible as I’ve seen it suggested over the past few days?

If so, are there outside chances that these could appear and bring with them surprise accumulations (5-10cm’s) out of nowhere? 

Apologies for all of the questions, I am just a snow maniac and want to see some good stuff

Thank you to anyone in advance for answers

Posted
3 minutes ago, Biggin said:

Moderate persistant snow falling. This may sound funny but the snow is falling faster than before  and more intense.

Thames Streamer has begun ??

The intensities have been very variable throughout the day.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow
8 minutes ago, Southender said:

It’s actually powder type snow here in Southend as well. Just tried to build a snowman etc and it’s the very dry type. Rare!

dry snow is the best.  shows how cold it is.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Puddles are beginning to slush and freeze over, if the snow continues overnight then I imagine most surfaces will be covered here.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow , Extreme weather events

Well for us this event is more akin to March '13 (few flurries in the wind hour after hour) than March '18 when we had a good covering. Very disappointing that this is turning into such a localised affair and no real sign in the outlook here for anything more than a light dusting. 

Posted

Becoming more showery but when they come through they are more potent. About 8cm here now. Temp at lows -1.6C DP -1.9C. Bitter in the strong winds.