Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
6 minutes ago, craigore said:

I've got 5 inch icycles now on conservatory roof.. 

Not seen since 2018..

Currently minus 1.

Just need the sun to set now and it should plummet.

Has the sun been out?  With cloud and a strong wind, the temperature won't drop more than a tad after dark.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Looking back at @Nick F snow depth charts he's got it spot on in terms of where the snow boundaries were between heavy and light snow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
3 hours ago, Hurricane Squad said:

Chin up, another few days of negative temperatures we've only just started 3 hours in and settling Snow another 20 hours for places like where I live perhaps more in other places even light snow with the winds hopefully slowing down a bit will settle quite well, late today we're getting a good Thames Streamer set up and as @TomSE12 has told us, there have been many great Streamer events and due to how long it'll last and the fact that we have some frontal snow before it, I expect this could be a great streamer event. 

Xander

Afternoon all,

Wow, you lot can post for England. Just spent ages scrolling through all your posts!!

Do you remember the young Lady below, from Yesterday's Post.

image.png.2059f2fffe46c857503fbf2aa7015134.png

Darcy Bella, would like to apologise for the late arrival, of Today's Snow.

She wanted to make sure that Daddy's CV Vaccine Appointment in Bromley, wasn't cancelled.

Must admit to being surprised to wake up to wet pavements and roads but Darcy has made up, for her earlier "no show."

Snow started to fall more steadily at around 10.45 ,on the way to Bromley and began to settle on Cars and grass.

Once myself and my Wife got back home to Lee, at around Noon, the Snow started to become heavier.

It is still coming down quite steadily but only laying on Cars and grass.

Yes H.S. (Xander), hoping a Thames Streamer kicks in later on, I'm sure Paul S, has kept you all informed about that possibility.

Am I right in saying, that there are suggestions that this Wintry Weather could hang around longer, than previously thought?

Hoping that Darren (Kold Weather), also managed to get his Jab done.

Although my Wife Colette, wasn't booked in to have the Jab yet, as soon as she mentioned that she's actually my Carer, she was allowed to have it done there and then.

Enjoy your Snow, those that have it.

Regards,

Tom.   ❄️

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

It is fair to say that today’s event is a little on the usual side. As such a wider envelop was needed (the set posed a genuine risk of disruptive snow and blizzards in the east). Some places do appear to have already seen over 4 inches (still falling), a lot of others unfortunately have not seen as much as was potentially predicted.

I will say that in general the models did converge on the right track better than the last regional snow event. It is just an issue with the amounts people got.

• Like 4

Posted

Think the convective element is kicking in, snow changed to big heavy flakes now really heavy, but also birghter

• Like 1

Posted

I seriously think the worse is yet to come for Kent ! I’m happy to eat my words if I’m wrong but the radar looks like what’s coming inland now from the sea will be heavier than what we already had today

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

At least the Met Office could’ve removed the yellow warning for western parts where there’s been nothing much but snizzle!

Not disappointed as I knew it wasn’t likely to get much here. Met Office a huge failure with their forecasts!

If it was all that easy to forecast weather I suppose we would all be doing it.

Edited by Snipper
  • Like 1

Posted

The heavier PPN has stubbornly remained about 10 to then 5 miles away from me to the East. Might just get some of the heavier PPN if it just nudges a little further west. It will stop at the M11 knowing my luck.

Edited by Hammer
Typo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Certainly colder out there now...-0.4c and a nippy old wind, about 4.5cm here.

20210207_145140.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
Just now, Southender said:

It’s actually powder type snow here in Southend as well. Just tried to build a snowman etc and it’s the very dry type. Rare!

Amazing the differences locally.

Here we have wet snow which has been melting almost as fast as it’s falling . Everything is covered bar roads and paths which are soaking wet.

At a guess I’d say we have many 4cms on shed roof and car roof, rest of the car it has slid off as it’s so wet ☹️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Moving on, a very bland afternoon with large slabs of stratus, however just some signs on interest with clearer skies appear to the south east of here and more significant cloud cover north west of here that appears to be producing a little snow.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Interesting to see they are going for a hard frost tonight, though I'm guessing it won't be the white frost but instead the type that just freezes the ground rock solid.

Will be interesting to see how well the local lakes nearby are doing over the next few days, got to be a good chance they freeze solid, though the lack of snowcover in the local region will probably allow maxes above 0c on most days locally.

Yeah I figured it to be more ice than hoar. Think I probably sit on the boundary of good/bad (and thus indifferent) - not sure which is worse! Tell you what though, I was very grateful for your late night updates last night. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
2 minutes ago, Snipper said:

If it was all that easy to forecast weather I suppose we would all be doing it.

Come on, they had the chance to update it this morning but even failed to do that! Pathetic.

Posted
1 minute ago, pureasthedriven said:

Yeah I figured it to be more ice than hoar. Think I probably sit on the boundary of good/bad (and thus indifferent) - not sure which is worse! Tell you what though, I was very grateful for your late night updates last night. 

No problems, I'm a bit annoyed I didn't connect that little low being a little further NW with the delayed air. I guess by that time I was running on fumes a little!

I think in any ENE airflow it will bring you into play properly rather than being on the border, lets hope so anyway!

• Thanks 2

Posted

As it gets dark and temps drop, along with the colder air digging in then the differential increases and shower activity increases too.

I’d expect those heavier bands to start popping up within a few hours and by mid evening to become more organised streamers and start giving accumulating snows for those affected.  Settling shouldn’t be an issue by then. Where that happens? Well the met office think the Amber zone so I’ll go with that) 

If that doesn’t happen don’t shoot me - just trying to tie in forecasts/charts and experience but it’s more an educated (uneducated) guess lol. 

Thanks to everyone giving the forecasts a go and using their knowledge to give thoughts on what may happen. The weather, especially snow, is so difficult to forecast I admire anyone willing to give it a go. 

A long way to go everyone - stay calm and keep those fingers crossed ❄️

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

Definitely now matched and possibly beat three weeks ago on surfaces where it can stick, perhaps a cm in places. But the paths etc have less than we got then. Interesting the differences in conditions can bring. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Moving on, a very bland afternoon with large slabs of stratus, however just some signs on interest with clearer skies appear to the south east of here and more significant cloud cover north west of here that appears to be producing a little snow.

Kinda the same here, its actually not a bad afternoon out there, a little on the cold side but actually not all that bad truth be told. Its less dull than I feared i might be. Perhaps the one perk of being quite as far west I suppose!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow

When can we expect this band of snow to pivot more SW, WSW or W even (if this is a reality as some posts have suggested?) When at the moment it still appears to be moving, SSW I think. 

Posted

Looks like the front is starting to break down on the radar however the Dutch radar shows plenty to come.

60105CB3-E141-4DE1-8E13-71C10260022B.png

62CEDDDE-D28E-485D-AEF3-9465F49D355A.jpeg

Edited by jright35
  • Thanks 2