Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
5 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Wow, and yet a few miles down the road we’ve barely got 1cm! 

Yes obviously very localised. Bigger totals right out on the coasts. Roads are clear though but it’s settled well on everything else.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
2 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Yh even now on this page their is sniping and trolling going on - They think there clever but we see through em quite quickly and know they have not got a clue about Basic Meteorology, they slag the storms coming up in the Summer saying they are heading in a different direction for example just to get a reaction, its so sad really and then hide behind their screens.

No point in getting involved with these types of trolls, just laugh at them and do something better with your time I guess. There are some Sad Individuals on the Internet but the majority are really nice people who appreciate it, just spoils it for the rest.

Absolutely. It’s a sad state of affairs when people have passed down knowledge, forecasts and input from their own time, to be slandered if for example lightning doesn’t hit their back yard, or 5 miles up the road gets a hammering and they don’t! Typical shallow behaviour, and usually from the type to have never read past a headline, or subheading and analyse the finer detail. Estofex make it very clear that a level 3 for example means that there is a 15% chance of severe weather, within 50km of a point!! Really isn’t that big a chance at all if you do the maths! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Has been snowing moderately since 9 in the morning here, if the temp was just a degree lower it would have been snowmagedon, are the temps still dropping throughout the day?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
22 minutes ago, craigore said:

Not true

I'm in Ramsgate/Manston.

Been below freezing all day this far..

You cant get mch closer to the sea than me..

Same here, Dover hasn't gone above freezing either. I've frozen ice on the phone lines out side.

Posted
21 minutes ago, dubmuffin said:

Goodness me, it is hard to keep up on here with the amount of posts. I guess that is why we split when there is an event. 

If I quote anyone, I'm then taken to the latest page and Iose my place! Even as I type this I can see another 14+ replies I'll miss when I click submit

Temp and dew at -1.2c in the garden, but the small amount of laying snow is deceptive, it is the sort that melts and goes brown as soon as you step on it.

When you quote someone to the far right of their post is an arrow click on that and  it will take you back to that persons post

Edited by Biggin
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Very fine snow blowing about in a strengthening wind. Temperature falling back now to 0°. Everything coated...

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

Same here, Dover hasn't gone above freezing either. I've frozen ice on the phone lines out side.

Yes - the tip of Kent has the shortest sea track from the continent with this flow direction.  A little extra distance over ther sea warms the air more.

Posted
3 minutes ago, SHM040519 said:

Absolutely pouring in canterbury! Everything now getting a covering! 

It’s started to pick up here in headcorn now as well road and path covered, looking at the radar looks like there is plenty of more heavy stuff heading our way, only at about 1cm here atm but even though it’s not thick snow it’s coming down heavy if that makes sense lol

Posted
1 minute ago, IanT said:

As always the emotionally charged posts are from people reacting to the gap between their hopes and reality. Not to any gap between forecasts and reality. 

Yep, I remember saying last night that if your West of central London if you get anything on the deck that is going to be a bonus.

I have to admit I was taken a back a little by just how long it took to get everything to snow, however tonight is going to be a different story as it should be cold enough across the main warning zone for it to settle easily enough. The snow may well be a little patchy in nature away from the coasts (away from amber) but there will be some in the eastern half of the region,and they may stray a little further west from time to time, but as above, if your getting more than a dusting consider yourself well done.

All about managing expectations.

PS - I STILL think somewhere on the N.Downs will end up with 30cms by the end of play on Tuesday...

• Like 2

Posted
30 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Absolutely. It’s a sad state of affairs when people have passed down knowledge, forecasts and input from their own time, to be slandered if for example lightning doesn’t hit their back yard, or 5 miles up the road gets a hammering and they don’t! Typical shallow behaviour, and usually from the type to have never read past a headline, or subheading and analyse the finer detail. Estofex make it very clear that a level 3 for example means that there is a 15% chance of severe weather, within 50km of a point!! Really isn’t that big a chance at all if you do the maths! 

And thats the amazing part of it, for every person who doesn't, there are 100 people who understand just how hard it is.

I did a High Risk in Kansas on a Tour once in 2008 , a PDS Tornado Watch was Issued and the dryline bubbled into life, Ma Nature had other ideas and not 1 scrap of Precip fell and the clouds bubbled away to Orphan Anvils, what did we do, well we took it on the chin and said Ma Nature won that little skirmish, we didnt hold it against her and nobody thought any worse after a few beers. These things happen, and then on days when its a Marginal Non Zero Tornado day you luck out on a stunning High Plains Stovepipe, rough with the smooth with the weather and nobody can call it completely correct if they tell you they can they are lying 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 6

Posted

Very fine snow but very heavy.  Where it has stayed and accumulated (garden table) maybe 5-6cm. Still not made the roads. Hasn’t stopped snowing since early morning.  

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Uxbridge90 said:

Some brilliant pictures!

That wind is starting to feel bitter and we haven't gone above 1.9 c since this morning. 

Looking good on the radar over in S/SE London?

Just on the edge of the heavier radar returns here in Wandsworth, however it's still pretty light and not really settling on anything.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ian Docwra said:

Yes - the tip of Kent has the shortest sea track from the continent with this flow direction.  A little extra distance over ther sea warms the air more.

Southend Airport then ?

-1c since 6am this morning ? Whats causing that as its about 125 miles to Belgium from here 

Posted
6 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Snap - temp dropped to freezing around 9am and it still falling slowly now. Currently -1.0c with a DP of -1.4c

• Like 1

Posted

This is great- we (Crawley) have had continuous snow since 9am this morning. It has been settling on things.  The car says the temp is 1 degree Celsius. I think if the temperature falls maybe a degree more then it could settle more significantly. 

BBC have been perfectly spot on with their forecast and now going for snow till midday tomorrow!!!

Met office widely wrong to the extent they said it was raining whilst we had snow LOL. Unfortunately this is expected from the Met office now (certainly in my case).   

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

8cm here now. -0.8C and very slowly falling. Still snowing lightly 

2B577572-5D73-4693-BC36-74D4D74FBCC7.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

So far here in shoreham (west Sussex coastline) we have had moderate snow for a few hours now but sadly nothin settling. Temp sat at around 2c since but I'm hopefully for the rest of the day and tonight. Glad for everyone else, and just glad that I've atleast seen snowflakes falling from the sky this winter! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey and mild!
11 minutes ago, IanT said:

As always the emotionally charged posts are from people reacting to the gap between their hopes and reality. Not to any gap between forecasts and reality. 

Classic LOL! Just popped in to have a look at what's going down in this region and this is the first post I see!

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

And thats the amazing part of it, for every Moron there are 100 people who understand just how hard it is.

I did a High Risk in Kansas on a Tour once in 2008 , a PDS Tornado Watch was Issued and the dryline bubbled into life, Ma Nature had other ideas and not 1 scrap of Precip fell and the clouds bubbled away to Orphan Anvils, what did we do, well we took it on the chin and said Ma Nature won that little skirmish, we didnt hold it against her and nobody thought any worse after a few beers. These things happen, and then on days when its a Marginal Non Zero Tornado day you luck out on a stunning High Plains Stovepipe, rough with the smooth with the weather and nobody can call it completely correct if they tell you they can they are lying 

Quite.  The surprising part of all this for me is not the exact position of the snow (that's always very hard) but that the widespread temperatures have been significantly higher than expected, when the talk was of sub-zero everywhere, meaning, of course, accumulation everywhere to some extent.  It's almost as it the abnormal SST has passed the models by, because the flow direction is very much as forecast.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat
2 minutes ago, MAF said:

have you even seen any falling snow yet?  

Yes seen falling snow , it started to settle but then stopped it’s actually snowing pretty heavy now but it’s really small fine snow , not laying 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

The continued snowfall is now filling in the gaps from the earlier melting which is a good sign. Still nothing on concrete though, however what has fallen off my car onto the driveway hasn’t melted...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS
11 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I've got 5 inch icycles now on conservatory roof.. 

Not seen since 2018..

Currently minus 1.

Just need the sun to set now and it should plummet.

Edited by craigore
  • Like 1