Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.
23 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

Heard that before  - THE STORMS HAVEN'T EVEN ARRIVED YET!

ps this is from Stelling Minnis, near Sellindge.  But it is 500-550ft above sea level

148232815_10223145664766496_537770513448230390_n.jpg

Beautiful area, where I’ve always wanted to live.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

9D787C8D-4AA3-4428-905A-3B51E7524CB9.thumb.png.3b95184751ff5eef58fa5c2ef6d90ab6.png

I think your Amber warning has been extended Northwards. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Temp dropped by 0.5c in 30 mins to -0.6c and now the light snow is settling on all surfaces here in Brentwood  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat
Just now, Southender said:

Managed about 5-6cm on average here in Southend. Seems to be fizzling now.

F3D91868-DCD5-4ECC-A759-E3D926481BCB.jpeg

26172830-6EDC-4BF9-A371-47FDB3CFD3B2.jpeg

Looks great , very jealous 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Just as it was starting to look good, the sun has poked its head back out and the snow that had started to settle has all but melted

It is at least giving it a go, its barely a dusting but its something and I got to run in the snow.

20210207_125042.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C
2 minutes ago, Southender said:

Managed about 5-6cm on average here in Southend. Seems to be fizzling now.

F3D91868-DCD5-4ECC-A759-E3D926481BCB.jpeg

26172830-6EDC-4BF9-A371-47FDB3CFD3B2.jpeg

Wow, and yet a few miles down the road we’ve barely got 1cm! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny in the summer, cold and snowy in the winter

Everything has gone from very wet to very white in the space of 10 minutes 

• Like 1

Posted

Thank you all for your helpful posts. Good to see falling snow here in Worthing, however not sticking. Temperature is dropping though. Maybe we’ll see some more this evening or overnight. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Country Boy said:

What everyone is forgetting, ...temperature  being posted is Air temperature.

the surface temperature is higher , most likely 3c  higher.

this is the reason it's not settling in a lot of places

In urban areas, concrete / Pavement generally sits 0.5C above the air temp. In heavier precip this changes.

Grass / cars / roofs are generally at the wet bulb temp as they are highly exposed to evaporative cooling

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Looking at the radar it looks like Kent might get another big hit in about an hour or two ? Anyone else agree ? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Just about stopping in Eastbourne now. Its not really settled but it was nice to see it snow. Im hoping for more. Its a shame to read people are getting grief. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual works for me...!
11 minutes ago, seb said:

I really don’t understand this panic and talks of the bust of the century.

Based on the drifts already happening on the Downs with some country lanes being close to impassable and those conditions bound to spread and worse, the warning is spot on.

As always the emotionally charged posts are from people reacting to the gap between their hopes and reality. Not to any gap between forecasts and reality. 

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, seb said:

I really don’t understand this panic and talks of the bust of the century.

Layman’s terms:

1. Darcy is a low pressure system stretching from northern central Europe to the med. It’s not a storm that’s meant to hit us like system coming from the Atlantic do. It’s pumping mild air and a lot of moisture north where it meets cold air in an East > West airflow. The moist air gets stuck as it can move further north due to high pressure.

2. Our region has been sub zero since 7am and it has been snowing since. Models have been showing pretty much exactly what has happened so far, including a lack of accumulations.

3. Temps will drop to -3 this evening while snow will continue to push in from the North Sea. It will accumulate. This will continue through the night and a good part of tomorrow. 

4. If we are lucky we will then see showers push in from the North Sea thanks to the Easterly flow and the warm sea.

The forecast says exactly that as do the warnings. The amber only came into force this morning and doesn’t expire until noon tomorrow. Based on the drifts already happening on the Downs with some country lanes being close to impassable and those conditions bound to spread and worse, the warning is spot on.

Yes, 'Darcy' was never going to cross/sit over us, but many were claiming that its frontal snow was going to be very significant across the region.  It missed us completely and moved away to the east.   You say "our region has been sub-zero", but only parts of Kent and significantly higher areas elsewhere have been - the region is the whole SE, from Oxfordshire to Kent and most of that has been in the range +0.5C to +3C, whereas it was widely predicted here that the whole region would be <0C today.  While the sky remains cloudy and the wind is strong, yet with a high dewpoint, there is no reason to suppose that the temperature will drop more than a fraction overnight, unless a different flow is expected.  The latter may be the case, but it isn't apparent, which means that more of the same might be expected - i.e. lying snow above, say, 100m, and slush/wet below.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
8 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Yh even now on the previous page their is sniping and trolling going on - They think there clever but we see through em quite quickly and know they have not got a clue about Basic Meteorology, they slag the storms coming up in the Summer saying they are heading in a different direction for example just to get a reaction, its so sad really and then hide behind their screens.

No point in getting involved with these types of trolls, just laugh at them and do something better with your time I guess. There are some Sad Individuals on the Internet but the majority are really nice people who appreciate it, just spoils it for the rest.

Sometimes the internet feels like a lucky dip of who is right because you can't trust million of people that i'm sure are very nice in real life and a lot of them want what's best but a few thousand people can ruin what the internet is supposed to be for.Personally I don't even have a twitter account or anything really just here and Discord tht i'm on.

Edited by Hurricane Squad
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Spraggyy said:

Looking at the radar it looks like Kent might get another big hit in about an hour or two ? Anyone else agree ? 

Absolutely pouring in canterbury! Everything now getting a covering! 

• Like 1