Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
1 minute ago, suffolkboy_ said:

It runs from Debenham through to Woodbridge following the river Deben. I’m near Framlingham 

Looks like your in a good spot there!  Should imagine its getting quite deep by now?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold, ice, frost, thundersnow,

This reminds me of a similar event in mid March 2013. Some localised areas done well with the snow along the south coast and Channel Islands (northern France in particular done very well), but there was various snow flurries with little settling for the most part. It was windy and similarly cold to today as well.

Hopefully that wind can provide some streamers from later this evening onwards, and as the winds ease more settling can happen. We need the winds to go more E/ENE and moderate a little to the point so that they can still bring in showers off the North Sea, but then they can settle. You'd need really heavy snow with these winds to settle to great amounts.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, snowblind said:

Wow! That's really bad. I value your input and always interested in what you say but I in know way consider it a guarantee of anything. I just don't understand some people.

It seems to me that same type of immaturity that prompts some posts predicting wildly OTT stuff here will also prompt those petulant responses when their wishes are not met.

• Like 3

Posted

Had about an hour of heavy-ish snow before it has turned back to snizzle.  A light covering, so can't complain.  Hoping a Thames streamer sets up later as I think that's my best chance of a decent covering

20210207_135857.jpg

20210207_135845.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
1 minute ago, Met4Cast said:

Oh my f**king god.

How many times does it need saying?

1. The amber doesn't expire until tomorrow midday

2. Widespread heavy showers & streamers are going to follow later, tonight, and through much of the day tomorrow.

Stop calling it a "bust" just because your area hasn't been buried by 10 foot of snow yet. The event has barely even started.

Couldn’t have put it better myself pal ✊

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
20 minutes ago, Ellozee said:

Well we currently have about 3cm on the cars and tables. Most of the paths and roads are slush or clear. I am right on the far East coast of Kent, at sea level. Where I work seemed to have a greater accumulation earlier and that's a few miles inland, but we're going to have to have many more hours of continuous heavy snow if they're going for those figures

Yeah, I it's for those nearer the east coast but not for those actually on the coast  

Edited by D.V.R
added word
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Paul Sherman said:

Hi Everyone

Dan at WeatherQuest is trying to keep a database of Snow Depths from this cold spell. Would as many people as possible if you have time upload your depth to the following link. 

You can update it hourly if you want from your Postcode even if you have nothing at all just upload the depth, it gives Dan a better idea of where snow has fallen etc (Much like his Lightning Strike Maps in the Summer) 

Link Below

WEATHERQUEST.CO.UK

Yep just done mine, still snowing though, so I'll do it again hourly perhaps?

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
2 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Oh my f**king god.

Stop calling it a "bust" just because your area hasn't been buried by 10 foot of snow yet. The event has barely even started.

Heard that before  - THE STORMS HAVEN'T EVEN ARRIVED YET!

ps this is from Stelling Minnis, near Sellindge.  But it is 500-550ft above sea level

148232815_10223145664766496_537770513448230390_n.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

I Remember 2010/and 91.. snow was more widespread overnight then the day, something to do with temperature difference between sea and land... correct me if im wrong

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather
4 minutes ago, k66yla said:

Just watching the forecast on BBC News and she said 25cm +.  I think she’s missed out the decimal point in between those figures for my location. Even the snow on my car is starting to disappear.

Not 'between' the figures, the decimal should go before the two....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Currently having the spell of the day so far; might've even exceeded 4cm!:santa-emoji:

• Like 3

Posted

Still wet moderate snow, need the temp to drop to freezing, anyone got any idea when temperatures are expected to drop to freezing? Looks like ice will be the main hazard 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS
4 minutes ago, k66yla said:

Just watching the forecast on BBC News and she said 25cm +.  I think she’s missed out the decimal point in between those figures for my location. Even the snow on my car is starting to disappear.

Hasnt stopped in Thanet all day so far.

Mod/heavy.

Temp never rose above 0c.

Kind of want it just to get dark now so it all stays and freezes up..❄☃️

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Oh my f**king god.

2. Widespread heavy showers & streamers are going to follow later, tonight, and through much of the day tomorrow.

Certainly not a 'bust' although the delay in temperature profiles that would support settling snow in many areas makes it feel that this band of precipitation is going to 'waste' for many maybe?

At least three days worth of great 'potential' for snowfall across the region.

Plenty of reason to remain watchful and excited.

• Like 1

Posted

Cant even see any streamers setting up at this rate, regardless of any positive spin being out on things by folk this has not panned out as forecasts suggested and I cant see that changing. From an IMBY perspective wasn't expecting much anyway so not overly disappointed but I do feel for those further East where this has failed to deliver.

Edited by Cableguy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
3 minutes ago, snow raven said:

Had about an hour of heavy-ish snow before it has turned back to snizzle.  A light covering, so can't complain.  Hoping a Thames streamer sets up later as I think that's my best chance of a decent covering

20210207_135857.jpg

20210207_135845.jpg

Further west than me and weve nothing in Gravesend!! Apparently even the high ground of Lordswood in Medway hasn't got any pavement covering so doesn't bode well for us

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
1 minute ago, craigore said:

Hasnt stopped in Thanet all day so far.

Kind of want it just to get dark now so it all stays and freezes up..❄☃️

And going by our luck, it will stop then 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
9 minutes ago, Great Plum said:

I remember that - such a damp squib!

Pretty sure I was playing in a football Sunday league game up near Lincoln when Feb 05 happened! Expecting loads, but was just the odd rogue flake wafting about. Looked like it was snowing over towards the Lincolnshire wolds, but nothing ever came of it! Went home and just remember it getting brighter with a stratiform Sky! Very disappointing even being only 14 at the time! 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Oh my f**king god.

Worth looking at AROME 06z showed for 2pm:

7922_kra9.png

I'd argue we are actually possibly a little ahead in several places within the amber zone based o that reporting snow depths website Paul linked, though of course how accurate those reports are could be questioned. 

As you say, I think the amber area will still get there.

The front was always going to decay at this point and as it does should start to morph into a area with banded convection which won't be moving too far west too quickly but continue to stream in from the NE.

• Like 2

Posted

Just for clarification,we were never getting the front from Darcy, we are getting a moisture wave from Darcy's main front, this could be seen in the fax charts when people were talking about why the fronts were so far away in Europe.

Hope that helps

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and Snow, lots of snow...
8 minutes ago, Howie said:

Honestly! I've just had to apologise to my little brother after I bought winter gear for him to play in the snow

Yeap, just wasted a load of money on snow gear for 3 kids, dunno why i do it to myself every single time.

Although its a waste of money at this point, i would of been more annoyed if we had a decent amount of snow and they didnt have the gear to stay out all day and enjoy it. 

Just hope maybe we get a decent freeze tonight and a surprise for tomoz?

Sweet of you to buy ya brother snow gear, sure he really appreciated you doing that. 

Edited by Snow Slave

Posted

Oh my f**king god.

I don't think very many are saying there won't be any significant snow, but the 'Darcy' phase was badly out, and the supposedly guaranteed sub-zero temperatures also haven't materialised.  I suspect there may be more chances to come of sub-zero temperatures to allow whatever falls to settle, but, given the North Sea's unusual warmth this year, it's by no means certain.  What leaves Holland at -3C/-2C gets here quite widely at 0C/+1C after travelling over +5/+6C water.

• Like 3