Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow
Just now, Htid said:

Hello mate. What a shame the ground has been so wet. I hope this dont turn out to be a waste of snow and it does settle somehow. 

Don't give up.  I remember one time in Northampton when it was raining so heavily and the ground was soaked and then it suddenly turned to heavy snow and then started to settle in no time eventually having a snow covering of a few inches.  Just because the ground is initially wet does in no way mean heavy snow won't settle.  As long as the dewpoint goes below freezing.

• Like 2

Posted

Excellent covering so far and it's still snowing! Will get out and measure the depth at some point. Currently inside warming up after sledging on Rushmere Heath. 

Hoping the snow reaches my family down in Bognor Regis and Pagham

20210207_123421.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

I don't actually think it's stopped snowing since 7.30am here, either small sparse flakes or persistent blizzards heavy snow.

20210207_130232.thumb.jpg.831e5e67176268f569a6e8efbcdaf3ee.jpg

20210207_130247.jpg

20210207_130304.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Each season has its own merits but, since you press me, heavy snow
2 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

image.thumb.png.a0d42da32a1a8935d25c809609e4d3be.png

This graphic from Dan Holley looks more on the money. I don’t think north Norfolk was ever in the sweet spot really 

Hope so, though the latest update from BBC tv was distinctly underwhelming. Even suggested a warming by end of week, and very little precipitation for snow-starved Cambridge ☹️ Thinking positively.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
1 minute ago, winterfreak said:

The Met Office change their minds more often than my kids change their clothes..... Total carp

I think you need to differentiate between apps =symbolic data.. and an actual overall forecast... where the meat is in the reading... this hasn’t got going yet and some need to understand that!!!!!@definitive delay...

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Wynter said:

I hope he's on the money then. Because as it stands we've got a lot of catching up to do!

I think for most in the region those are probably 2x too high.

Hotspot at the moment appears to be in the Clacton area which has several reports of 10-12cms. I think a localised 20cms is still possile by the end of the day there but its going to be quite restricted to be fair.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Good news is that in the last five minutes about double the snow before has settled, the winds are slowing down allowing it to settle. 

IMG_20210207_101410.thumb.jpg.57c71b50076a28ee92ccfacae1713a66.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather
13 minutes ago, snowking said:

Okay, I’ll bite.

Probably because it hasn’t missed us? There’s plenty of pictorial evidence to support this. 

As for “record breaking snowfall”, has anyone actually predicted that? Apologies if they have and I have missed it but I do not recall seeing anyone predicting that.

There have been numerous figures touted. Anything up to 40cm. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 'Big talk' weather....:-)

Settling nicely now on the patio and really pepped up 

• Like 2

Posted

Nothing in ringmer@ Tom Jarvis but  you always get it if theres any going up on Ashdown forest  hope to get some tonight also nothing settling on the southdowns  either

Posted
36 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

The met office app is worse than useless.

Can't even get a nowcast right.

Been snowing moderately since 11am here and it keeps saying dry and cloudy!

MetO app is showing a rain symbol right now for Shirley, Croydon, but there is a problem with this................It's actually snowing and getting heavier too  ❄️

• Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, snowking said:

Okay, I’ll bite.

Probably because it hasn’t missed us? There’s plenty of pictorial evidence to support this. 

As for “record breaking snowfall”, has anyone actually predicted that? Apologies if they have and I have missed it but I do not recall seeing anyone predicting that.

Agreed - people have had snow.  My point was about those who were claiming that it was "nailed on" to get well below-zero temperatures everywhere and that there was nil chance of any melting - "everything coming out of the sky will be snow and will settle" was the tenor of so many here.  It's one thing to have a stab at predicting what might happen, but to assume cast-iron knowledge that something WILL happen without question (and berate those who are more pragmatic) is unhelpful.  Many were talking earlier in the thread about 30-40cm being quite possible, red warnings, etc., - you know the sort of hype I mean. 

Then there were those who refused to accept (or possibly even check) what was clearly shown to be happening to Darcy last evening by satellite imagery - it was moving away from the SE and noticeably so, yet that fact was denied by many. 

BTW, I'm not saying speculation is wrong; it's the vehemence with which so many simply refused to entertain any other options.   If wishing made it so, eh?  My point about the seeming inability of any models to predict this outcome still stands, BTW, particularly as I, as an amateur, could see it happening myself.

• Like 1

Posted

It's not really got going here near Great Yarmouth. It's been snowing a while, but just not quite had the rights set up for the snow to lay. (The heavier stuff was south of us)

I think a lot of people will have some really nice snow surprises later. It's frustrating to have the snow falling and not laying, or snow you were hoping for/expecting not to arrive. If you're feeling aggy, maybe take a break for a bit, and with just a little luck we'll have a much better afternoon and evening.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather
Just now, tight isobar said:

I think you need to differentiate between apps =symbolic data.. and an actual overall forecast... where the meat is in the reading... this hasn’t got going yet and some need to understand that!!!!!@definitive delay...

I admire your enthusiasm and unswerving confidence in this most vast of turds. Happy Polishing 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, winterfreak said:

The Met Office change their minds more often than my kids change their clothes..... Total carp

Met office cannot forecast snow... end of, always been like that since this forum started. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

I think for most in the region those are probably 2x too high.

Hotspot at the moment appears to be in the Clacton area which has several reports of 10-12cms. I think a localised 20cms is still possile by the end of the day there but its going to be quite restricted to be fair.

Kudos to you Kold, you've been one of the most grounded on here this week. A few more need to take a leaf out of your book mate. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Met4Cast said:

Why were people here expecting to see feet of snow by this time today? lmao. It was clear early this morning that there was delay in the band + colder air moving in. Many areas are seeing snowfall, don't think anyone is reporting rain. 

As colder air continues to dig in we'll see snow rapidly accumulating east > west. Coastal areas are seeing that now, Dover has been absolutely buried in drifts, as has parts of Essex. 

Colder air will continue digging in through this afternoon. This band will transition to widespread heavy showers/streamers later tonight and all through tonight & much of tomorrow, too. 

Relax. It's all going to plan (albeit slightly later)

I saw a kink in the band which indicated a mild sector, and got told it'll squeeze out and head to France. I believed that at the time when shortly afterwards it started to transition, went to sleep, and I don't think it got past sleet, till sightly before I woke up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 minute ago, nanu said:

Met office cannot forecast snow... end of, always been like that since this forum started. 

Well nobody will trust them now even if they did before lol

Posted
10 minutes ago, jayb1989 said:

Snow starved Midlander dropping in to see you all enjoying the snow. Looks like most the South East is getting burried! Have fun guys! 

No, most of it really isn't!

• Like 2

Posted
29 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Yh here as well

Temp is -1.3c

Dewp is -1.5c

You only have to go on XCWeather and see Southend Airport is also showing Minus readings

Moderate snow fall here now, thats better.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, winterfreak said:

There have been numerous figures touted. Anything up to 40cm. 

I think we were taking the mickey out of those laughable ECM/GFS... accumulation charts?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
2 minutes ago, nanu said:

Maybe so, but they're still the best we have by far.

Posted

If there's one thing about our part of the world and snow, it's that if it can go wrong it will go wrong. Literally everything was looking good and one last minute tweek has scuppered it

Edited by Howie
  • Like 1