Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
Just now, Cookiedough said:

Yeah just in the amber and it’s been expanded just beyond Norwich this morning. But not settling properly and melting a bit

Well if you can't even squeeze any decent snowfall out of this, then we might as well forget it here in London and wait until tonight instead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Still snowing and very wintery in east Suffolk 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Temp: 0.1c

DP: -0.8c

Snow: Still not settling away from the odd patchy bit on grass. I'm really not understand why it isn't settling at this point?

Posted
19 minutes ago, Woodboss said:

That's tropical lol. I'm in hassocks the other side of the downs and it's 1 degree here now and a pretty keen bite in the air the last hour or so. 

It’s only 1 degree in Worthing too...

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IWORTH60

snow is coming down moderately, but not currently sticking. it does at some point

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
4 minutes ago, Ian Docwra said:

It does call into serious question the huge build-up to this, with countless models being run and re-run, all to little avail.  I am certainly no expert but a quick look at the infrared satellite late last night showed me that 'Darcy' was missing us - why couldn't anyone more knowledgeable than I see that real-time stuff?!   Today, so many people are still saying that "it will come", when it clearly won't.  I'm not, by the way, saying that we aren't going to have a very cold week - I think we are - but the hyperboly about record-breaking snow depths, red warnings and so on has been baffling.

It hasn’t missed. The front is sitting pretty much as advertised and dumping a lot of snow in the amber areas. Problem is everybody In that amber zone expects 10-20cm, when it’s not going to be that way. Wait until the end and evaluate, not the other way around.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

6-7cm here in NE Colchester and coming down nicely, probably heaviest spell we have had in the last hour or so. Temp has defintiley been above freezing as snow has started to slip off cars. However I cant see any dripping anymore. Still not settling on roads. Pavements have partial cover.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

Any ideas what has caused the frigid air getting delayed so much??!! That seems to be the main issue here and I think the coastal regions are only getting snow because it's heavier there so cooling the air at the same time?x

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
Just now, SF-02 said:

It was on the edge of 15cm zone. Currently at about 1 mm at best and melting

lol oh dear, i hope you weren't looking forward to this too much.

Posted

The snow has been coming down all day here. Moderate at times. All we have to show for it is snow on cars & grass. 

can anyone tell me why nothing is settling on the roads & pavements please? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder and lightning
13 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Hi Everyone

Dan at WeatherQuest is trying to keep a database of Snow Depths from this cold spell. Would as many people as possible if you have time upload your depth to the following link. 

You can update it hourly if you want from your Postcode even if you have nothing at all just upload the depth, it gives Dan a better idea of where snow has fallen etc (Much like his Lightning Strike Maps in the Summer) 

Link Below

WEATHERQUEST.CO.UK

Done 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Still coming down but stubbornly refusing to settle on concrete. Does actually look like it may have melted too in places, as others have said.

Not calling it a bust, as we have had settling snow with hopefully more to come, but it definitely has been disappointing so far

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, SHM040519 said:

Everything is a utterly pasted except roads and pavements. When will it start to lay on them? Surely soon? Anyone got any idea?

It's laying on them where I am, so I'm not sure. Would have thought it would have started to by now.

Posted
Just now, HammerJack said:

E9BC3398-3D46-4651-B7DC-E551B11C1234.jpeg

Maybe first signs of fading solar input. Sun zenith was 12:14. Also if Southend is -1.5 right on the coast it’s does look as the colder air is moving in proper now.. let’s hope we can maintain the precipitation

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Latest from uk met.@updated!! @weather Uxbridge/and indeed the region ...read the tonight part.. and chill out ... it’s an evolutionary prog.... 

B6933921-21F2-48F4-B203-95B2B92091AF.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Copious amounts of snow and ice days
2 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

It hasn’t missed. The front is sitting pretty much as advertised and dumping a lot of snow in the amber areas. Problem is everybody In that amber zone expects 10-20cm, when it’s not going to be that way. Wait until the end and evaluate, not the other way around.

I'm in an Amber area but seen nothing yet? I guess my time will be later in mid to North Norfolk

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Ian Docwra said:

It does call into serious question the huge build-up to this, with countless models being run and re-run, all to little avail.  I am certainly no expert but a quick look at the infrared satellite late last night showed me that 'Darcy' was missing us - why couldn't anyone more knowledgeable than I see that real-time stuff?! 

Darcy was never forecasted to hit us at all...what we were always going to get was a wrap around feature from a weak low pressure that formed in the channel and then got absorbed by a new French low.

I think what might have happened is the LP feature ended up about 40-50 miles CLOSER to us, I noted that last night around 2am. What that did was delay the cold air wrapping around.

What was expected:

The models all expected the cold air to be in place by 4-6am originally. This would have meant that snow would have fallen earlier, settled earlier and started a feedback loop which ensured more and more fell as snow and then settle, and that would battle the temperature increases that you nearly always get in a stable 850hpa temperature set-up as you reach later morning hours.

What happened in reality:

The cold air took a few hours longer to get down as everything was displaced a little NW, which meant a few hours longer of rain during what should have been optimal settling hours. So the feedback loop that was expected by the models never got going until the air was already starting to warm after night time, which meant the feedback loop only really was able to get going where the precip was strong enough and intense enough to overwhelm the warming caused by the failed feedback loop. 

I suspect the evening time will get ther eventually with snow and settling, but its a real question of how much is actually left of the system by then, might be feeding of scraps by then.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Well I was in the Amber area and not expecting 20cm but at least 5 got about a cm .  So my faith is in this evening and tomorrow for some streamer action .  Larkfield.  I’d imagine now we are heading towards the later part of the day it will get colder for it to lay .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Current temp:

-0.1c

-1.1c

Inch of snow

Snowing uninterrupted since 0530

Edited by Jamie M
  • Like 2