Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
5 minutes ago, kold weather said:

You can actually see the bands starting to already become a little more discrete on the front edge there.

Also if you look at 2hrs ago and compare it to now I don't think it can be denied that the system is starting to weaken when looking at it overall. This process will slowly continue as it starts to become dominated by the stronger convective bands. which will then give a short burst of snowfall for those further west which won't be giving too much as the bands further west outside of that heavy zone are pretty modest at this point and there is no obvious reason why it would get more intense at this point unless an embedded streamer kicks in, which as of yet no real sign.

The radar returns building more in intensity west of Colchester, which seem to be moving towards the eastern side of London:

51BDF406-F4BE-4AE4-B0E1-069AB0E40E77.thumb.jpeg.ff9f3096df3829d7a221b3c2ede33688.jpeg

Posted
1 minute ago, Lord Grogon said:

Bit of a frustrating day here really. Been snowing all morning but very light. Small amounts settling on windward facing sides but nothing on the ground. It's simply too wet.

The heavier stuff seems to be passing just to the east of here (Southend/Leigh) but moving in a NE > SW direction.  I keep looking at the radar for signs of westward movement. It seems to be a little bit, but I'm not sure if it's simply hope vs reality!

I’m in Grays and it started settling on the grass about 20 minutes ago

• Like 1

Posted

Plenty of time to go at the home of the Wombles but nothing remarkable yet. Slight covering this morning when I got up at 9, now temperature above 2c and it's all melted. Snowed lightly all morning nevertheless. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
39 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Yep Finally

All areas have now had a taste of wintry weather and settling for this winter I think.

2020/2021 delivers

Youre only saying that as you've had some snow, light dandruff here doubt it'll settle.

• Like 1

Posted

Been snowing all morning since daylight at varying levels of intensity but not one flake has been able to settle.  Hoping for this to happen after dark perhaps if the snow persists. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Lord Grogon said:

Bit of a frustrating day here really. Been snowing all morning but very light. Small amounts settling on windward facing sides but nothing on the ground. It's simply too wet.

The heavier stuff seems to be passing just to the east of here (Southend/Leigh) but moving in a NE > SW direction.  I keep looking at the radar for signs of westward movement. It seems to be a little bit, but I'm not sure if it's simply hope vs reality!

Once that wind switches to ENE it should bring a lot more places further west into the action

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Laurence Hill said:

For the unitiated what type of streamer is that?

I think it's a front. There does seem to be a small wash streamer in the north though.

Posted

Well bit of a let down so far. Moving very slowly, can't see any heavy stuff reaching me, and I'm supposedly in the amber area.   Heavier stuff was ment to arrive by 10am, which meant its probably not going to arrive, or break up before it does I expect.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Update on #snow affecting eastern Britain today & early next week in my blog for Netweather

snow-uk-crop.jpeg
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

An update on the snow affecting eastern parts of Britain today and early part of next week

Snow across far SE/EA slowly edging further W & NW across SE England & E Anglia. Easing to snow showers tomorrow and Tuesday.

This afternoon, band of vorticity, as shown at 700 hPa below, bringing heavier band of snow, should edge NW, taking heavier snow with it.

ecmwf-deterministic-uk-vort700_z700-1612656000-1612699200-1612742400-20.thumb.gif.c49650916f7b7af899c69f5b1ed4b1bf.gif

What time will this be?

Posted
Just now, Freeze said:

Youre only saying that as you've had some snow, light dandruff here doubt it'll settle.

Am sure it will get down to Shoreham, temps and dps will become much more favourble from here on in 

Posted
7 minutes ago, Bradley in Kent said:

Assuming your weather has been similar to Kent, the roads are still holding energy from that warm sunny day on Friday. It got to 12c and what with the sun shining on them they'll still have some of that heat. 

Here you can tell where the shadows were because that's where the snow is settling!

Precisely!  Exactly what I was saying yesterday - the weather has been mild to warm recently and the ground soaks that up slowly, and releases the warmth similarly slowly.  I was met with a barrage of replies saying that was nonsense and that everything would instantly turn to ice, etc., etc.   The air is warmer than so many seemed to expect anyway (the first pulse left Holland at -1C or -2C and travelled across an SST of up to +6C so I don't see why they thought it would stay sub-zero!) and is therefore above freezing here.  

As I write it is snowing a little harder here but is still +0.6C and will simply not settle on sodden ground at that temperature.  Box Hill is not visible in the snowfall at the moment and I imagine it to be around -0.4C up there and so probably accumulating.  Altitude is critical.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

not showing on radar, but i have some light snow here, a few flakes.

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

Not even worth an Amber 

Not worth a yellow for most. The warnings are so generic and catch all that they can’t really be accused of being wrong even when basically they are - these small local events aside, which skew the picture, because that’s all they are - highly localised. And even those, so far, I mean, c’mon... Even the real sweet spots so far are pretty standard. To cover themselves though, they take the warning up to Weds. Which masks the completely busted flush of a forecast for this past 12 hour period. If they can’t even get the nowcast right, what hope for Mon-Weds? Kold got it right after about five minutes! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

Am sure it will get down to Shoreham, temps and dps will become much more favourble from here on in 

Hope so, could be some more surprises this week hopefully.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Coldest its felt all winter here, freezing cold in that strong easterly wind with snow/snizzle blowing horizontally since 9am. 

Just the start of a long, cold week ahead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather
14 minutes ago, snowblizzard said:

Temperature just will not drop below zero! 

The miserly amount we've got is slowly fading. Bitter Easterly my ar5e..... 

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
3 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Have word that is trying to stick now up by the Amex

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mr_Pessimistic said:

In fact its actually melting lol

we’ve not had anything to melt yet up here