You fancy our area to do well Paul? 

Yep see reply to Vesuvius - Still looks ok to me

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Paul Sherman said:

Yep see reply to Vesuvius - Still looks ok to me

What's your altitude there Paul?

Posted

looking further ahead - 18z GFS does indeed keep the cold coming for a good 10 days.

Lots will change - but I am now thinking a swift breakdown from the Atlantic is now looking like a big outsider. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Just went outside and it's definitely much much colder than it's been for a while now! 

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, craigore said:

Just popped into the Mods .

Everyone's very happy.

Bitter cold -14uppers coming back in nxt weekend.

Here in S.E we never get above freezing at 2m all week..

The cold uppers are really uncertain at the moment, there is a really cold upper pool nearby but no certainties it gets anywhere close to our shores. I suppose on the upside its already made it once, so the pattern is possible,

Far more likely though is we keep a cold SE airflow that is cold but dry at the surface. Could see some impressive icing of lakes, etc over the next 10 days with only a small window for melt on a few days around mid afternoon, so 21hrs below 0 and a few hours above is not going to stop the lakes, etc from freezing up. That alone will make things look very wintry!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

Temp 4.4

dp 3.7

Feels like  has finally hit 0

Headache not eased despite meds   wanted to stay up try a time lapse video but think I might have to go to bed! 

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Kent tonight 

EtktXHVXMAMLB_l.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Here at Silver Hill on East Sussex/Kent border temperature is dropping in a linear fashion at about 1C per hour since 8pm. Now +4.2C DP 3.7 so I'd reckon that means precipitation will be of snow by around 2am. Which is broadly what is suggested by the hourly app data. I have 110 metres so will be slightly ahead of surrounding areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
13 minutes ago, Vesuvius said:

You could have just left it after “happen”, mate 

lol they are just so cautious about everything, surprised they just don't tell us to look through the window 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Yep

Expecting 10cm tomorrow and then streamer should add another 10cm on Monday, should have 20cm going into Tuesday locally.

Great thing is snow will stick around all week, with freezing fog and rime and then cold carries on into next weekend

Indeed, I don't think any snow on the ground will being going anywhere soon.  Only problem for my location is it needs to snow!  However, I'm sure there will be opportunities during the coming week, even if I don't get much during the next couple of days.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, abruzzi spartan said:

A small suggestion from someone born in 1965.  Turn off your apps, log off the internet, light your paraffin heater with its purple liquid and heady aroma and fire up your coal fire.  Make sure your net curtains in your bedroom are away from the glass so they don't freeze to the windows.  Watch one or maybe all two forecasts a day on the BBC and supplement it with a look at the weather charts in your daily newspaper.  After that, go out for a walk or 3, watch the clouds, check the wind direction.

In an emergency when you are worried it might not snow, write a letter to someone that lived in a maybe more snowy place and post it first class.  Ask what they are seeing.  Enclose a SAE and you'll get a reply about 4 days later.  By which time it will either have snowed or it won't and you won't need to worry any more.

There will of course in the meantime be power cuts and a 3 day week plus a bit later some fear of a nuclear winter.  But the main thing these days is to get in a ferment about whether promised snow has shown up on the festering Internet or not

Great stuff love it . Bang on. I can remember heading across to the local river with a big torch in 1987 to check If the snow was coming . It did obviously but the sheer excitement of not knowing in those days was amazing . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Nick F said:

Evening. Here's my estimated #snow depths for England and Wales that I expect until noon on Monday, using a blend of high resolution models.

Snowdepths_SunMon.thumb.png.d04e99ac569e100a4e47c388626093a2.png

5-10 cms possibly borderline 10-15cm here in south London I’d take that right now. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, dallas said:

What's your altitude there Paul?

We moved a few years ago used to be 135ft asl but now down to 81ft asl so marginality is awful for here

Just up the road though in Rayleigh it can get to around 200ft asl and thats only 3 miles away

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
1 minute ago, Nick F said:

Evening. Here's my estimated #snow depths for England and Wales that I expect until noon on Monday, using a blend of high resolution models.

Nearly!  You just missed Brighton   

Blow south everyone.

Posted
3 hours ago, TonyK St Albans said:

Not in St Albans it wasn't. Snow was predicted earlier in the week to start at midnight, by yesterday evening it had been brought forward to 10pm, now it's been shoved right back to 3am.

This is getting beyond a joke. It's just gone even further back to 6pm Sunday evening. 

At this rate we'll not see a single flake all week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW! And a good thunderstorm

I have a terrible lack of lampposts outside my university room! I might build one for myself outside if it looks like this cold is set to continue for a while!

Posted
19 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

Just taking a doctoral degree in psychology - tonight is perfect preparation to conduct scientific research.

It’s more psychotic in here than psychological!

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, snowspotter said:

Great stuff love it . Bang on. I can remember heading across to the local river with a big torch in 1987 to check If the snow was coming . It did obviously but the sheer excitement of not knowing in those days was amazing . 

Just as a footnote I wasn’t looking in the river just a big field away from the lights that had a river in it. The torch spotted the first snowflake , the rest is history ! January 1987 

Posted
3 minutes ago, kold weather said:

The cold uppers are really uncertain at the moment, there is a really cold upper pool nearby but no certainties it gets anywhere close to our shores. I suppose on the upside its already made it once, so the pattern is possible,

Far more likely though is we keep a cold SE airflow that is cold but dry at the surface. Could see some impressive icing of lakes, etc over the next 10 days with only a small window for melt on a few days around mid afternoon, so 21hrs below 0 and a few hours above is not going to stop the lakes, etc from freezing up. That alone will make things look very wintry!

With the flooded fields all over the place, the next week or so may be better suited to ice skating than snowman building !  Whatever you get, it’s just the weather people !

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
4 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Time for bed then here in the 1 cm zone  

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Ha you put Maidstone in the sweet spot but to be honest I think the 20 cm area should  primarly include the east Kent downs between Canterbury ,Ashford and Dover.