Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
5 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

Old school 80s replays for kent.... gonna get hammered!!.... send photos kentonians..!☝️☝️

@tight isobar Give me a down here for a bit of snow and I'll believe it. Been watching your forecasts for years mate and you're always bang on. No bs u.

Capture.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
Just now, prolongedSnowLover said:

Leave us out of the South East thread moderators ?

Clearly we need another thread to separate areas West of London who ALWAYS struggle in these setups no ?

Windsor could certainly be Central and Southern so why not pop in there 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
1 minute ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Leave us out of the South East thread moderators ?

Clearly we need another thread to separate areas West of London who ALWAYS struggle in these setups no ?

I’m all for the Shantsex region, but I don’t have the authority to make it happen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
4 minutes ago, Dr cat said:

This Dutch 24 hour radar animation has 99% of the region under snow tomorrow https://www.buienradar.nl/nederland/neerslag/buienradar/24uurs

That’s a decent graphic.. and fully highlights the constant feed..once the flow establishes... honesty some crazy accumulation to occur !!!@madness!!!!

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, pinball wizard said:

I was tempted to do the same tonight, what a knock from Root.. It's going to be fascinating seeing how we bowl against them later, amazing that it will all be unfolding on Channel 4 whilst the snow starts to settle. That plus some booze and I'll be cross eyed by 6am..

Might have been tempted to declare when Archer out, couple down before close would have been sweet.

Couple down before the close would have been sweet - expect they are still stressing over the last game at this ground when they posted 477 and still lost be an innings

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Dr cat said:

This Dutch 24 hour radar animation has 99% of the region under snow tomorrow https://www.buienradar.nl/nederland/neerslag/buienradar/24uurs

Dutch radar has it much further north and west by lunchtime tomorrow. 

FC482AEF-7F0F-4196-9464-9E82CC245F75.png

Posted

If the update about 30cm in Kent is true that will likely be a Red warning. The Kent end of the North Downs is a sweet spot for these streamer events, I was stuck in a snow drift on the M2 back in 1987, so I've experienced their full fury.  I expect plenty of snow for many but the Orange zone will be Coastal Suffolk and Essex, East side of London and north Kent and north side of the South Downs. Yellow in a line from Scarborough to Southampton. 

A hunch, not scientific. 

Edited by Wivenswold
  • Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Essex Chelle said:

All my years here and I probably been told this tons times but transition to snow does temp and dp need to be 0?

The lower the better for both generally but dp needs to be below zero at very least. Temps can be a degree or so higher than zero but that would be wet snow. 

• Like 2

Posted
47 minutes ago, Saint coolio said:

Saving ourselves for the cup  

You don’t want that. You would have to go and buy a trophy cabinet. Pup

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.
11 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

So what have people been up to to try and budge the time along? I’ve been watching some Family guy and being as far away from the clock as possible haha

I am about to get a takeaway supper and watch Greenland: junk food and a disaster movie might just (maybe, perhaps) keep me away from radar/apps/paranoid scrolling for a short time.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Stu_London said:

Might have been tempted to declare when Archer out, couple down before close would have been sweet.

Couple down before the close would have been sweet - expect they are still stressing over the last game at this ground when they posted 477 and still lost be an innings

I think we will just try to smash 20-30, try to get as close as we possibly can to 600. 

C’mon snow. C’mon England.

(Let’s not mention the rugby!)

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

I have that dilema sometimes as well being right on the SW edge of the region.

But I'm staying here for two main reasons:

1: I'm downstream on any Thames streamer that does kick off, so reports upstream might be useful.

2: History and good knowledge of what can happen in S.Essex on a good easterly flow!

With that being said I  can understand those especially NW of London having a totally different looking expectations and they don't really belong to the CS/SW thread as that usually is dominanted by those from the likes of Somerset, etc, which again is not really reflective of their weather either.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
1 minute ago, Great Plum said:

I notice that the amber warning is only about 10 miles east of here - I wonder what we will get in Reigate...

I think you’ll be good. Quite possibly a sweet spot for east central south south central east

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Copious amounts of snow and ice days

Surprised there wasn't a warning for rain today. Went through South Creake to take my elderly father's shopping and it was badly flooded. The normal gentle stream had become a raging torrent

20210206_124855.jpg

20210206_124900.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
6 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Fair enough. But sick to death of hearing how well the South East will be doing when we’ll be getting FA!!!

Posted
9 minutes ago, Wivenswold said:

Apps are totally useless in these situations, I really would give up on them and get a decent radar subscription (like the Netweather one perhaps?) 
These situations have always been nowcast territory, learn how to read synoptic charts, or sign-up free for a site like WindyTV that gives you so many easy to understand charts from which to learn, save a good radar and lighting tracker in your favourites and ditch those apps. 

Could I also point out that it's not the air temperature that decides if it's going to snow, it's the dew point. When the dew point falls below freezing only snow can fall and wet pavements quickly turn white.  

That certainly is a factor, but a dew point of, say, -1C while the air temperature is say, 4C, will probably not produce snow.  Both temperatures are equally important.

Posted
32 minutes ago, Sarahgreatchart said:

What happens if it moves NW? I can’t understand the significant difference in forecasts of 5 miles difference? 

There isn’t ....some people get all hung up with dividing lines on a chart ......the weather doesn’t stop at a line ....conditions adjust gradually 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
9 minutes ago, Bill4321 said:

@tight isobar Give me a down here for a bit of snow and I'll believe it. Been watching your forecasts for years mate and you're always bang on. No bs u.

Capture.PNG

Pal-Newhaven gets a. Your in full exposure to the feed... 10cms for me @around that geographical

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I have that dilema sometimes as well being right on the SW edge of the region.

But I'm staying here for two main reasons:

1: I'm downstream on any Thames streamer that does kick off, so reports upstream might be useful.

2: History and good knowledge of what can happen in S.Essex on a good easterly flow!

With that being said I  can understand those especially NW of London having a totally different looking expectations and they don't really belong to the CS/SW thread as that usually is dominanted by those from the likes of Somerset, etc, which again is not really reflective of their weather either.

Stay here - all the cool, funny people are in this room - 

and Paul Sherman

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Oh snow, got to be close second frosty mornings, all white and glistening,
18 minutes ago, john mac1 said:

A 20 mile nudge west and I’m in 10cm zone!

Thats what im waiting for well hoping anyway as not far from you

Posted
1 minute ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Fair enough. But sick to death of hearing how well the South East will be doing when we’ll be getting FA!!!

I dont want you to go there lol

But might be an idea to flit between the 2 and you will be affected when the breakdown comes from the SW moreso than us in the east. So maybe stay in both ?

• Like 1