Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
Just now, Ols500 said:

Hows Surrey looking??

Who knows, if we get a streamer then we could see some good totals.

Radar watching now.

• Like 3

Posted

Rain in Canterbury atm as expected , temperature a little lower than most of the forecasts had indicated for this time, down to 5C from an earlier high.

Saw the forecast on the beeb ,predicting blizzards, and pretty much putting Canterbury at the centre of it all.. From past experience, when it really snows here it certainly can dump it down but can also be hit and miss.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Unless you are shy please put you approximate location in your profile. Go to top of page click on your name. Then go to to your profile and add in your location. Can be as precise or as vague as you like. If you are posting from an oil rig in the middle of the North Sea it might confuse many. 

I don’t see why I need to give my exact location on the internet, I said I was in the amber zone and what I was expecting here, wasn’t for an opinion lol 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Temp starting to fall steadily here on the Essex Riviera - temp 5.6c and pooring down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....
43 minutes ago, Darkcloud said:

Help!! My internets been down since 2pm aaaggghhhh! Worst possible time!

Just walked up the lane to find a paltry H+... can't view the models and not even sure if this will post but please can anyone tell me how it's looking in my area? (Mayfield, E.Sussex, 8 miles south of Tunbridge wells)

Mother in law just said it's looking to be too far east. There will be tears if she's right!

Not a breath of wind and just the odd spot of rain. 6.8C I'm getting a sinking feeling...

I'd be quite excited by that.. You'll have to do things the old way xx

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Tonight’s ecm 12z @running now..out @144 and our region clinging onto the cold ... we’ll have a look at the supports later @EPS for possible extension =reloads...    also the vents in near frame veering north easterly..@convection looks well

B3162FD1-7D2C-43C5-9276-B85C757EC4B3.gif

27148AE2-5712-48BC-9044-4123E6EECAD3.png

F584E915-77AB-49EB-8AE9-BE067CDEB480.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOWWWWWWWW

Evening all, temperature has been falling rapidly here in Southend over the last hour or so especially. What time are we expecting the transition from rain to snow to occur? BBC seem to reckon about 3AM- am hoping for earlier but maybe I’m being greedy lol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.
3 hours ago, abovefreezing said:

@ 51, am I the oldest "big kid" in ere?

@53 here. Just woken from a 3hr disco nap ready to get on the radar.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

As for Accumulations I reckon initially Bluebell hill/Lordswood in a line to higher parts around Lenham further East, and maybe SE of here in East Kent with the initial high totals, then vigo village maybe later through Monday and then down to West Kingsdown&Biggin Hill/Westerham and the East Surrey Downs as the Thames streamer kicks in later Monday/Tuesday morning.

North of the thames hillier parts of East Essex initially along with Suffolk up to Norwich then later on SW Essex such as Thurrock to rival Southend etc 

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Britneyfan said:

I don’t see why I need to give my exact location on the internet, I said I was in the amber zone and what I was expecting here, wasn’t for an opinion lol 

idk like no ones gonna track you down but i guess if you posted rain turning to snow at location "x" it gives others an idea? idk ignore me if that sounds useless lols

• Like 2

Posted

I certainly reckon .. that we will be the envy of many looking on over coming days @south east =east anglia ✊✊

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Heat, Fog
4 minutes ago, crazysnowcatz4 said:

Rain in Canterbury atm as expected , temperature a little lower than most of the forecasts had indicated for this time, down to 5C from an earlier high.

Saw the forecast on the beeb ,predicting blizzards, and pretty much putting Canterbury at the centre of it all.. From past experience, when it really snows here it certainly can dump it down but can also be hit and miss.

Yes lived in Canterbury in the early 90s and the snowfall of Feb 1991 was exceptional. It settled quite quickly once it got going! Looking like East Kent up for some more decent snowfall from this favoured set up

• Like 1

Posted

One thing which doesn't correlate are certain news channels and warnings saying we are looking at widely 5-10cm of snow over areas such as Kent.  The forecast is for nigh on 36 hours of continuous snowfall for many parts of Kent, I appreciate that will break into streamers/bands later on into Sunday/Monday, but if there as going to be a system bring rainfall which forecasts were describing as heavy and persistent in that time-frame I would be expecting well over an inch.  This would equate to 25-30cm of snow quite widely and probably in the downs 40cm plus.  There seems to be a gap in forecast versus modelled lying snow?

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Jackski4 said:

Evening all, temperature has been falling rapidly here in Southend over the last hour or so especially. What time are we expecting the transition from rain to snow to occur? BBC seem to reckon about 3AM- am hoping for earlier but maybe I’m being greedy lol!

I’d say that’s about right give or take.

Edited by Southender
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, kold weather said:

@tight isobar - agreed I think at the least its looking more likely the surface cold is going to hang on into the weekend. When even the progressive GFS is starting to really struggle with the lows its a good sign.

I’m sure many will take ye-ole battleground scenarios.... at engagement!!!☝️

Posted
5 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

Tonight’s ecm 12z @running now..out @144 and our region clinging onto the cold ... we’ll have a look at the supports later @EPS for possible extension =reloads...    also the vents in near frame veering north easterly..@convection looks well

B3162FD1-7D2C-43C5-9276-B85C757EC4B3.gif

27148AE2-5712-48BC-9044-4123E6EECAD3.png

F584E915-77AB-49EB-8AE9-BE067CDEB480.png

Uh oh. That wind spells big trouble for parts of the SE tomorrow. It also spells blizzards

Edited by Biggin
  • Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

As for Accumulations I reckon initially Bluebell hill/Lordswood in a line to higher parts around Lenham further East, and maybe SE of here in East Kent with the initial high totals, then vigo village maybe later through Monday and then down to West Kingsdown&Biggin Hill/Westerham and the East Surrey Downs as the Thames streamer kicks in later Monday/Tuesday morning.

I think that’s a pretty good estimate. Ties in with initial precip, mid Kent streamer then Thames streamer. 

Having lived in lordswood, walderslade woods and blue bell hill in the past, they always do well in this set up. And all over 400ft and with orographic lift, helps enhance totals. 

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 1

Posted

It's looking good for most of us. If your app is not showing much snow don't get to hung up.

All models and met office forecast have Sheffield at 3 degrees and heavy rain at this time but it is already zero and chucking it down with snow.

Doesn't necessarily mean it's going to start snowing earlier here but illustrates it's now down to watching radar and looking out of window as could easily be further west than models have shown.

Screenshot_20210206-183934.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
Just now, Biggin said:

Uh oh. That wind spells big trouble for parts of the SE tomorrow

I haven't seen blizzards since 2010, in fact I can't actually remember the beeb/met office using the term themselves, just what it looked like. I've always for many years wanted to see actual snowfall/whiteout conditions again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
6 minutes ago, James Maidstone said:

One thing which doesn't correlate are certain news channels and warnings saying we are looking at widely 5-10cm of snow over areas such as Kent.  The forecast is for nigh on 36 hours of continuous snowfall for many parts of Kent, I appreciate that will break into streamers/bands later on into Sunday/Monday, but if there as going to be a system bring rainfall which forecasts were describing as heavy and persistent in that time-frame I would be expecting well over an inch.  This would equate to 25-30cm of snow quite widely and probably in the downs 40cm plus.  There seems to be a gap in forecast versus modelled lying snow?

As I said just now BBC has upped the 5-10cms to 10+cms in amber area and mentioned 20-25cms for the first time!! Probably trying not to scaremongering people

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 3