Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
1 minute ago, abovefreezing said:

Heh, just covering all bases, perhaps. If it comes true, We can line up to kill!

I've seen easterlies implode at 72 hours - but never at 6 hours

Think we will be ok

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Just looked at numerous models and it seems to be less of a feature than want I was hoping and doesn’t get far in land, where I live in Brentwood only get the scraps which is accurate to what the Met office now has me down for (was 6 hours of heavy snow then 5 of light snow) now it’s only a few hours of light snow and then a few hours of dry. Tomorrow night there’s seems to be more of a chance with showers and streamers.

still time for upgrades though f 

7AB05686-0CE3-404E-8E73-2A99BC8BE2D2.png

4F224B41-4857-4D6D-ADF4-3DA47BEB70AB.png

3BAA358B-0063-4643-90FA-6F8B77D45E48.png

2A8D7D8E-2059-4DBD-B529-1272A40F90AD.png

A4659FF6-4106-40E1-89B2-D7FA05A1477D.png

Edited by simonhall6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
1 minute ago, Chiltern_Blizzard said:

ARPERGE for tomorrow afternoon. You can see it has drifted further South East compared to a few days back where the spread was far further west. Im hoping im suprised. 

Later in day looks like some showers to pop up and Monday some potential too. 

Screenshot_20210206-162628_Chrome.jpg

The convective shower activity =possibilities.. are endless... that’s one stiff sheer easterly @incoming...banded activity is looking ripe as a peach

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
2 minutes ago, Chiltern_Blizzard said:

ARPERGE for tomorrow afternoon. You can see it has drifted further South East compared to a few days back where the spread was far further west. Im hoping im suprised. 

Later in day looks like some showers to pop up and Monday some potential too. 

Screenshot_20210206-162628_Chrome.jpg

Yesterday it didnt even make it to me. 

So it's an improvement since then.

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

In all seriousness keep an eye out for some strange skies tomorrow. Have seen loads of pictures from Spain, France, Switzerland of the Sahara Dust in the pictures of clouds. If this makes it north with the low pressure pushing it towards the Uk could be some strange colours of landscapes. Think  Nick F touched on this possibility the other day

Interesting Got any pics Paul.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

sorry guys its not going to snow tomorrow, in fact we will have an exceptional heatwave of 20 - 25 degrees i've already got my sun lounge out and got the sun screen. The source for this is my own imagination with no sources whatsoever.

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, tight isobar said:

The convective shower activity =possibilities.. are endless... that’s one stiff sheer easterly @incoming...banded activity is looking ripe as a peach

Fingers crossed. Really hoping for a covering and more in the week. 

1 minute ago, Snowman. said:

Yesterday it didnt even make it to me. 

So it's an improvement since then.

Hope you get some! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather
1 hour ago, Ian Docwra said:

I really wish they would stop saying "temperatures will struggle" - no they won't; they are not living entities, they are simply measurements and cannot try to do anything. 

Be happy mate! its been a great winter for interesting synoptics. your posts all seem a bit down. Personally I'm quite excited for the incoming cold period. I am sure you are too really

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, snow raven said:

Thanks Paul.  I have everything crossed.   I don't think I could cope with another disappointment ?☃️

i wouldn't be too disappointed L-A there's always me about to cheer things up  

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Norfolk_N_chance said:

Just dropped the wife off to work next to Wells beach.....the East wind is blowing and bone chilling!

I love Wells - stay at the Crown Hotel every year for a long weekend so we can walk from Stiffkey to Burnham Overy Staithe... wouldn't want to be there right now though...

• Like 1

Posted

If the BBC really did say “might clip the SE” then that’s worrying. There’s a good chance that’s inaccurate - I reckon we’ll know more by 10pm forecast. They can’t possibly not stress uncertainty then

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold, snow, frost, fog. Summer: Sunny, N winds + clear skies.
5 minutes ago, leemondo said:

Just been informed by my almost 8 year old, that I am to check the weather at 1 or 2am and if its snowing I have to wake him, real danger of him wanting to go out in it too! 

I am tempted to stay up tho, this doesn't happen very often and after so many near misses and barren winters, it will be worth the wait! Good luck everyone

Wake them up at your peril! I was woken for snow at the same age and never went back to sleep l as I was to busy looking out the curtains every few minutes until I was let out to play in it. Several decades later I still do the same

• Like 3

Posted
5 hours ago, Paul said:

It's from the UKV model, so if the model doesn't expect there to be any precipitation at the time, the forecast will show 0% risk of snow. In reality, if there were to be precipitation, then it would be back to 95%

The UKV is an excellent model (the main hi-res model the Met Office use), but like any other model, it'll never be bang on in showery setups. So, I'd definitely recommend using the forecast as a guide and then the radar in the shorter term to see what's going on. 

380radar2.jpg
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

Live weather radar for the UK including weather type to track whether rain, sleet or snow is falling. Updated every 5 minutes.

thanks @Paul . its always good to see some sanity in the explanation of the forecasting. I have seen a change from 90% to nothing in a refresh of the 10 day ppn forecast and never really took it as 'gospel' i really am a firm believer that its a case of putting your head out the window and seeing how it is  

Edited by MAF

Posted
11 minutes ago, simonhall6 said:

Just looked at numerous models and it seems to be less of a feature than want I was hoping and doesn’t get far in land, where I live in Brentwood only get the scraps which is accurate to what the Met office now has me down for (was 6 hours of heavy snow then 5 of light snow) now it’s only a few hours of light snow and then a few hours of dry. Tomorrow night there’s seems to be more of a chance with showers and streamers.

still time for upgrades though f 

7AB05686-0CE3-404E-8E73-2A99BC8BE2D2.png

4F224B41-4857-4D6D-ADF4-3DA47BEB70AB.png

3BAA358B-0063-4643-90FA-6F8B77D45E48.png

2A8D7D8E-2059-4DBD-B529-1272A40F90AD.png

A4659FF6-4106-40E1-89B2-D7FA05A1477D.png

You can also see the zone of lower snowfall that a few models showed earlier on near London as the band that arcs further west forms too far west for them but they are also too west to really benefit to as high degree with the snowfall coming in from the North Sea.

Also clear hints at a streamer for a short while in the morning down the Thames beofre the winds bend back more NE for a short while until that band has cleared through in the evening. 

I think there is a good chance of a streamer setting up on Sunday night, however how strong it is and how far WSW it extends, hard to know at this point.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Winters & Warm (Not Hot!) Summers
13 minutes ago, jamesgold said:

If the BBC really did say “might clip the SE” then that’s worrying. There’s a good chance that’s inaccurate - I reckon we’ll know more by 10pm forecast. They can’t possibly not stress uncertainty then

I've been watching nearly every BBC news channel forecast since lunchtime (well the Saturday night/Sunday part) and I didn't hear that phrase used once. The uncertainty stressed was the northern & western extent of the band but it was confidently expressed that Essex Kent etc would be affected by heavy snow & blizzard like conditions & 'potentially' extending into the London area etc too. That's been the gist from the last few forecasts

Edited by Ben M
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Always the toughest part this, the agonising wait!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

The predicted rain hasn't really happened in any significant way yet. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Edit: it's chucking it down.

Edited by Lauren
  • Like 1