Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Some quite bright echoes on those showers across Essex and into Hertfordshire at the moment. Also showing the more organised rain across Norfolk and the northern parts of Suffolk.

CD1C72DF-F642-4ABE-A696-0CA6FB2DDA8F.png

Edited by Captain Shortwave

Posted
6 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

latest from dutch met between 2cm and 15 cm in our region,but look at the totals in Holland!

I am sure I won't be the only one looking and thinking of all that snow falling in to the North Sea. Just like the Thunderstorms in the Summer that ride up the North Sea that you can see even from here when big ones.

Posted
18 minutes ago, simonhall6 said:

Hi Hammer 

I believe the warnings are for ice as well as snow, so the warning for Wednesday with temps below freezing ice will become a real issue, I expect warnings to increase for ice/snow  on Thursday as well.

On a side note, Another 3 points for us later ⚒⚒

Edit I see someone else responded  

As a Yid, all I can say is.. the upcoming spell of weather is all that has me excited at the moment.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
10 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Really strange weather here this morning

Thick Fog rolling up the Estuary interspersed with heavy convective rain

I was just saying the same to the wife (not that she's particularly interested), but really weird weather today.  Woke up to fog and not a breath of wind, followed by a massive hail/rain/hail storm that left the road running with water.  Something's afoot I reckon 

• Like 2

Posted

My predictions for tomorrow....

1 (not weather related) Joe Root brings up his triple ton.

2 Just after that the snow gets heavy for me

3 missis leaves to get the train to work, comes back through the door 20 mins later as trains been cancelled.

4. Go for a walk in 10cms of snow

5 re watch root reach his triple ton 

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, hurricane-anna said:

Does anyone think there might be a wash streamer set up?? Usually we can do really well from these type of events here in Peterborough.. heres hoping

Some of the charts posted up earlier by Surrey seemed to indicate one might setup so fingers crossed for you. Will all depend on the wind direction and too early to know for sure at this stage.

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
1 hour ago, kold weather said:

Going to be a nowcast situation out of west I think, there are plenty of different solutions.

On balance I'd say little if any snow on Sunday now is increasingly the case outside of eastern parts of the region, perhaps with E.Surrey, maybe far eastern parts of W.Sussex, E.Sussex and S.London thrown into the mix on Sunday daytime as well.

Monday looks better wind direction further west providing the instability remains present and IMO good chance a Thames streamer kicks in overnight on Sunday into Monday but as per normal, thats an uncertain as it always is.

1 hour ago, kold weather said:

Going to be a nowcast situation out of west I think, there are plenty of different solutions.

On balance I'd say little if any snow on Sunday now is increasingly the case outside of eastern parts of the region, perhaps with E.Surrey, maybe far eastern parts of W.Sussex, E.Sussex and S.London thrown into the mix on Sunday daytime as well.

Monday looks better wind direction further west providing the instability remains present and IMO good chance a Thames streamer kicks in overnight on Sunday into Monday but as per normal, thats an uncertain as it always is.

There was a link in here yesterday to a Dutch model yesterday, it had me drooling.

Enough of that and on to the weather lol, seriously though the Dutch Met seem more bullish in the extent and persistence of Snow over the SE tomorrow.

The reason for flagging that possibility is the oh so reliable Met office app,I know it alters three or four times a day but this morning for my locale the persistence of the snow carrys on right through into the early hours of Monday morning.

Edited by sunnijim
  • Like 1

Posted

Maybe the current rainfall and moisture on the ground can help prep up the precip later, maybe I'm just pulling at straws

Posted
2 minutes ago, snowblind said:

Some of the charts posted up earlier by Surrey seemed to indicate one might setup so fingers crossed for you. Will all depend on the wind direction and too early to know for sure at this stage.

Heres hoping, think it's the only way precip will reach here.. never know might turn to snow earlier overnight and give us a cm or 2 out of that 1st band haha #strawclutching...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

I feel right on the edge of the snow really hope in pushes a bit further north and east ??. Good luck to everyone. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
4 minutes ago, Spraggyy said:

My predictions for tomorrow....

1 (not weather related) Joe Root brings up his triple ton.

2 Just after that the snow gets heavy for me

3 missis leaves to get the train to work, comes back through the door 20 mins later as trains been cancelled.

4. Go for a walk in 10cms of snow

5 re watch root reach his triple ton 

Living the dream mate! Exactly my plans too except my missus will have to go out regardless being a community nurse. Perfect Sunday!!! ❄ 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Snow & Snow.
2 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

Wish I was closer Tom, I’d drive you to your appointment! 

Woken this morning feeling like it’s Christmas Eve - sad I know, I’m 43 and should know better but snow just brings out the child in me!

Haha I'm 46 and feel the same...

Hope everybody's Lamposts are working in there streets...  Going to be watching mine tonight ?

• Like 3

Posted

Strange weather here this morning. Clear and now fog rolling in, temp dropped to 1.2c and still dropping  and DP dropped to 0.5c.

Think we are right on the edge for snow tomorrow but still think its a case of watching the radar. May catch something if a wash streamer sets up. fingers crossed. Stay safe everyone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Quite the hail shower woke me up this morning...  I'll be setting my alarm  for tomorrow in hope of something that falls quietly. 

• Like 3

Posted
23 minutes ago, crazysnowcatz4 said:

The really impressive and dangerous part is the temperatures.  4 sub zero days in a row, don't think people are very use to that now.

If people go out early gambling about in  the snow, it wil compact and freeze into an ice rink especially if temperatures are a bit marginal for the first few hours. As a kid in the 70s we would wait until it had well settled until going out so that it would have a chance to lay, especially if we wanted to go sledging on Babs hill.

However can't wait for that sound of muffled silence that you get on truely heavy snow days,  we must watch out for the elderly and take care with your water pipes.. Think my heating will be staying on for a few days as last time the condenser pipe froze and then you have a potentially risky fix,,,

I mentioned this a few days ago. Same thing happened to my boiler in 2018, make sure it's well lagged it's only a thin pipe and can freeze quite easily.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, moogyboobles said:

Quite the hail shower woke me up this morning...  I'll be setting my alarm  for tomorrow in hope of something that falls quietly. 

Its amazing, I was right on the very south eastern edge of that building, if the skies were clear I would have seen the huge towering Cb shooting up.

Only other time I have had that much zero visibility was in 2012 in Oklahoma when we had a Temp/Dp spread of 94/80 and the sky was so milky and devoid of anything we could see was when a huge crack of thunder scared us into the car, could not see the clouds and did not even see the Cg Land

Madness

• Like 4

Posted
17 minutes ago, johnc1106 said:

My wife thinks it's sweet (but we've not been married long and not many cold incursions so far)...  She may think differently after next week!

My fiancé just let’s me get on with it. I think he’s just pleased I’m not online shopping! Plus he’s used to it as I’m just as interested when we get a storm risk in the summer

• Like 4

Posted
35 minutes ago, snowblind said:

Is anyone else trying to triangulate their position by flicking between these snow charts and Google maps? Or is it just me?

You're in a good spot I think. I'm in Stansted... Trying to work out whether we are going to be much in the game...

Posted
10 minutes ago, Laurence Hill said:

Think someone on the mod thread said this fax shows the weather front further west than expected.  Might not be this fax, stand to be corrected.

It’s not , if you look back I was posting the precip for tonight fringing into Wales 2-3 days ago. It’s exactly as expected. That front is separate to the low to our south east tomorrow 

• Like 2