Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 minute ago, Sparky68 said:

Quick question, be interested to know how many weather apps do you have on your phones? I have 3 Met Office, BBC and Weatherbug.

I just counted and I’m up to 9

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat
Just now, MAF said:

are we there yet?

two more sleeps. one and a half if you are up silly o'clock sunday morning. 

either way... time for bed for me. night all  

Night Mick , yeah probably 1 night sleep for me if I can manage an all nighter tomorrow

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Planet Stow said:

How well do you think we will do in Stow on Sunday? 

Looks like our part of the woods  will do good. Often with this setup we do well, I think places like Epping and more to the east may have more on the accumulations, but unlike the event 2 weeks ago this is going to be so much more better

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Your gonna get smashed where you are, your probably about 20-30 miles SE of the current expected hotspot. The north downs in your area will probably have some pretty large numbers by Tuesday.

hopefully a bit further south and east to me as well 

Posted
6 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Lol the Irony of all this 

I had a flight booked for 1325 out of Gatwick to Tromso to see the Northern Lights departing Mon 8th Feb

Obviously that has been cancelled now due to Covid but the Uk might see more snow than Norway and the flight might have been cancelled anyway, funny how things work out

Go to Levi in northern Finland. It’s stunning and you’ll see the northern lights. 

7 minutes ago, MAF said:

yeah, but we won't see the northern lights in SE england. . i'd rather see the lights than snow  

Got to Levi you’ll be both in abundance 

88F29B79-73FB-4C27-9D7D-3C8B20FBD629.jpeg

C68D02A7-5C7A-4D4F-AC4A-2CD6806F7FFA.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted

Happy coincidence of any (unlikely) dusting coming to Mid Sussex appears to be at exactly the same time as the India/England test match is on the telly, so one eye on the game and one on the lamppost at 4am Sunday

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Great Plum said:

Nearly a week of sub zero temperatures if that came off!

This 18z is legitimately one of the coldest GFS runs I've ever seen.

If we can get a good snow cover and then a high pressure forms overheard that draws in a SE airflow, that would probably lead to the coldest week since December 2010 (yes, colder than the BFTE due to the greater snow cover over Europe and to an extent the SE of England).

Even places further west that will have  no snow (such as my location possibly) will be severely cold due to the air coming over both the snow fields of Europe and then over the snow over the SE in general. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, E17boy said:

Looks like our part of the woods  will do good. Often with this setup we do well, I think places like Epping and more to the east may have more on the accumulations, but unlike the event 2 weeks ago this is going to be so much more better

☝️

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, kold weather said:

This 18z is legitimately one of the coldest GFS runs I've ever seen.

If we can get a good snow cover and then a high pressure forms overheard that draws in a SE airflow, that would probably lead to the coldest week since December 2010 (yes, colder than the BFTE due to the greater snow cover over Europe and to an extent the SE of England).

Even places further west that will have  no snow (such as my location possibly) will be severely cold due to the air coming over both the snow fields of Europe and then over the snow over the SE in general. 

That would be impressive for feb without widespread snowfields .........

Posted
24 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

GFS 18z showing East Norfolk and Suffolk to be the hotspot (around 20cm in places). Streamers directed around the Thames and Wash afterwards (10-15cm for areas close to the Thames and towards parts of Northamptonshire/Rutland (hillier parts).

This differs from other models regarding the organised band of course.

Gfs looks good for east midlands!!leicester peterborough rutland look well placed!!lets hope the wind direction dont change too much!

Posted
2 minutes ago, john mac1 said:

Go to Levi in northern Finland. It’s stunning and you’ll see the northern lights. 

Got to Levi you’ll be both in abundance 

88F29B79-73FB-4C27-9D7D-3C8B20FBD629.jpeg

C68D02A7-5C7A-4D4F-AC4A-2CD6806F7FFA.jpeg

I can get to Levi and Finland easy when I base out of Norway so any 1 of the 3 can be done - Love it up there, the people are amazing and its an incredible country - The wifes Eyelashes froze in March 2019 when it was -22c in Abisko lol

IMG_9713.JPG

• Like 7

Posted
6 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Your gonna get smashed where you are, your probably about 20-30 miles SE of the current expected hotspot. The north downs in your area will probably have some pretty large numbers by Tuesday.

Thanks for your reply, I don't know if its good or bad, but I will keep a shovel handy, and they say these yeti's are good in the snow but that's not going to any good if I can't find it on Monday   

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The thing with the BFTE is that most of the week the maxes still managed to get above 0c quite widely. Plus obviously we are several weeks earlier which helps to level out the odds as well as having a far snowier Europe which will helps as well.

It was only really the last few days of that week once storm Emma came along that we got the crazy low temperatures. I think we may average overall colder than that week as I think we will have more suppressed maxes this week than most of that week. 

It'd go some way to beat out that week before Xmas in 2010 though, think thats probably off the table.

Also, that is totally dependent on the cold holding out to Sunday, that is far from certain at this stage, despite a better GFS tonight.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
8 minutes ago, eddie1 said:

For which parts sorry I don't understand these

SE Kent

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I reckon you’re an automated bot that posts just after a ramp to bring people down to earth

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

This was the kids fave Youtube watch

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

I can get to Levi and Finland easy when I base out of Norway so any 1 of the 3 can be done - Love it up there, the people are amazing and its an incredible country - The wifes Eyelashes froze in March 2019 when it was -22c in Abisko lol

IMG_9713.JPG

Love all of Scandinavia. As you say lovely people. As soon as this is all over I’m booking up.

anyway at least we’ve got some snow here this winter. A fun week to come!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, sun and snow.
9 minutes ago, simonhall6 said:

I just counted and I’m up to 9

I read somewhere that the vast majority of apps use the GFS. does that mean most of yours are showing exactly the same thing?

Posted
4 minutes ago, HighPressure said:

Thanks for your reply, I don't know if its good or bad, but I will keep a shovel handy, and they say these yeti's are good in the snow but that's not going to any good if I can't find it on Monday   

Being a total geek I’ve just put your location into the net weather forecast and it reckons 20cm from Sunday to Monday. Sweet

Posted
3 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

SE Kent

If I'm reading that right, that is as close to jackpot as its possible for us peeps down here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

They had a bit of a snow drought leading up to Xmas....well for them, still around 6 inches of snow.

Posted

Been a member for many years but generally only visit when there is snow on the horizon to read predictions and thoughts on potential, especially from the folks who (unlike me!!), can interpret the various models.

One name from the past I remember posting frequently was Steve Murr but not seen anything from him unless he has changed his username. Is he still around?

• Like 2