Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted

Great Yeldham,  23cm. Hopefully not too deep Monday morning as I am installing a stove in the village and need to get on the roof 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings
5 minutes ago, 80sWeather said:

Hope you’re right mate it’s a rare thing snow in Cambs off an Easterly. It was looking good yesterday but now as usual it’s trended a bit East for my liking .

Hoping the wind gives it a good push .

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, fine wine said:

Great Yeldham,  23cm. Hopefully not too deep Monday morning as I am installing a stove in the village and need to get on the roof 

You’re just up the road from me! I’d take 23cm. I remember in 2010 when cars couldn’t get up the little hill as you come into Sible from Gosfield!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather
12 minutes ago, RJM said:

Good god that would need a MO flashing red warning!

Be great though wouldn’t it!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Video I took in 2018 of the streamer event in Hastings (it was much heavier than this video suggests, massive flakes too). Hoping for similar sights to greet us through this week!!

Edited by LightningLover
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

Not that I believe these to be accurate, but when you Google search your weather and it says snowstorm which lasts basically all day. It doesn't get much better than that does it

IMG_20210205_212142.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

image.png.c40bab01159e1da87ba8781a15d0eeaf.pngimage.png.60564539c19935c9784776e0eb72d303.pngimage.png.7026547702cb6b370d3068c3b30de8d9.png From This Sunday, Yamkin Will Show No Mercy In The SE image.png.c40bab01159e1da87ba8781a15d0eeaf.pngimage.png.b4fe16dc7ae79f7c811324393c04cd20.pngimage.png.6cdabe7ecc4da0b1dd8393dff3b71cbe.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by yamkin
  • Like 9

Posted
24 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Yep places like Kingston, Surbiton and Chessington  also do well from a Thames streamer . Fingers crossed  @Reefseeker will be pinning her hopes on this too I would have thought too .

SOOOO much pinning my/our hopes on a Thames Streamer like the 2009/10 ones. I keep trying to rein it in, telling myself just a bit of snow will be lovely, a cold week is in the offing, isn't that exciting etc etc, when all I really want, just like most of us on here, is a good 10cm minimum of snow, drifting in the hedgerows but of course all the roads clear so everyone can be safe who needs to travel!

I'm old enough to remember the late 70s/early 80s snowfalls in the west country with enormous drifts long the country lanes and fields. That started with what I thought was a complete waste of time as the snow just blew around wildly in the winds while my father told me we would see drfiting in the morning - he was right and our cul-de-sac remained ice-bound for 2 weeks IIRC and my aunt out in one of the local villages (Holcombe for anyone that knows the west country) was cut off for days. I know that's probably too much of an ask, but it really sticks in the memory when you experience that at a young age. For those experiencing this weekend's event as youngsters, it may set up a lifetime of snow addiction!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!
1 minute ago, NewEra21 said:

Not that I believe these to be accurate, but when you Google search your weather and it says snowstorm which lasts basically all day. It doesn't get much better than that does it

IMG_20210205_212142.jpg

I've only got it at 10 am, and I'm banking it  

Usually only get to see that terminology when I'm googling cities in the US and Canada out of morbid curiosity. 

Screenshot_20210205_212509_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, anything-but said:

With Bluebell Hill to my left and Meopham to my right, i'm gonna look forward to this in my location.

We can suffer from being in the shadow of Bluebell Hill here sometimes down here in the valley (Halling)  from Easterlies or North Easterlies.  The Downs take some of the potency out of convective showers, however we may well do well out of the main band early on Sunday, we're only just inside that Amber Warning here. Fingers crossed

Posted
Just now, kold weather said:

This will be my view on Sunday morning:

image.thumb.png.68825ec368b087068d65ebc02d2f104d.png

I will make a dusting snowman for you all to see!

i’m not sure there’ll be many snowmen this time, snow will be powdery.!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 minute ago, chionomaniac said:

I drove past the gritting station today on the A2300 near burgess Hill.  All the snowplough attachments were lined up and ready to be attached and ready to go. Well over 10 I saw!

They must have a salt mountain

• Like 1

Posted
54 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Is that the road that leads towards the town center (the railway station on the other end?)

Been a while since I've been in that part of the world.

Langdon hills would be interesting place to travel to in this spell, over 100m will certainly help with accumulation numbers.

That’s the one. Loads of buses congregate at the stations and between them and the lorries one will go..London Hill is even worse but few use it. Anything over an inch and Crown Hill is in trouble in my experience 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

32ish cm is my total to beat from 2010 BUT I think although I’m up a hill surrounded by fields, my folks over in fobbing, much closer to the Thames, might actually snatch it all from me.... 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.
10 minutes ago, NewEra21 said:

IMG_20210205_212142.jpg

That’s worth saving as a screensaver! 

Posted
41 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

If we get a Thames streamer Epsom should be a good spot / just up the road in Cobham / Oxshott I Am hoping to do well too ! 

In the great snow of 2009 I worked at the Fat Face in Cobham. I had the world’s worst boss at the time and she made me walk to work from Leatherhead. I was young(ish), naive and stupid so I did what she asked. We sold one pair of boots that day so totally worth it . My distinct memory was of a a gritting lorry stuck in a ditch near Leatherhead dump! 

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Reefseeker said:

SOOOO much pinning my/our hopes on a Thames Streamer like the 2009/10 ones. I keep trying to rein it in, telling myself just a bit of snow will be lovely, a cold week is in the offing, isn't that exciting etc etc, when all I really want, just like most of us on here, is a good 10cm minimum of snow, drifting in the hedgerows but of course all the roads clear so everyone can be safe who needs to travel!

I'm old enough to remember the late 70s/early 80s snowfalls in the west country with enormous drifts long the country lanes and fields. That started with what I thought was a complete waste of time as the snow just blew around wildly in the winds while my father told me we would see drfiting in the morning - he was right and our cul-de-sac remained ice-bound for 2 weeks IIRC and my aunt out in one of the local villages (Holcombe for anyone that knows the west country) was cut off for days. I know that's probably too much of an ask, but it really sticks in the memory when you experience that at a young age. For those experiencing this weekend's event as youngsters, it may set up a lifetime of snow addiction!

I was born and brought up in Devon (near Tiverton) - very similar experience. Feb 1978 is still stuck fast in my memory. It snowed for what seemed like days - at the start of half term and we ended up with an extra week off school. No vehicle other than tractors came in or out of our village for over a week. Our road had a colossal drift across it, from the gutters of the house on one side to the roof of a row of garages opposite - it was astonishing. We were all there when one of the farmers drove his tractor through it a few days into the freeze - it created a tunnel. There were still lumps of icy frozen drifts under north-facing hedges at the end of April. The lane from the bottom of our road to the top of the next hill had c8ft high hedges either side - we walked level with the top of the hedges as the lane had completely filled with snow. 

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

I drove past the gritting station today on the A2300 near burgess Hill.  All the snowplough attachments were lined up and ready to be attached and ready to go. Well over 10 I saw!

Are you yarmkin in disguise , are you Yarmkin in disguise ......

just pre snow banter laafs

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Team Jo said:

32ish cm is my total to beat from 2010 BUT I think although I’m up a hill surrounded by fields, my folks over in fobbing, much closer to the Thames, might actually snatch it all from me.... 

Nah, I think we are both good this time. I’ve driven your way before towards Brentwood when I’ve had a few flakes and you’ve had proper snow.  Every time is different but I think we are both good this time Jo, might as well pack our bags and go home if this doesn’t produce !

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, kold weather said:

This will be my view on Sunday morning and the rest of the week:

image.thumb.png.68825ec368b087068d65ebc02d2f104d.png

It is snow and not frost!

I will make a dusting snowman for you all to see!

That’s more snow than I’ve seen in 3 years

• Like 3