Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.
20 minutes ago, Norfolk_N_chance said:

Who stole my snow symbols? Not a single one now!

Screenshot_20210205-195600_Met Office.jpg

Screenshot_20210205-195556_Met Office.jpg

Screenshot_20210205-195543_Met Office.jpg

Use netweather local

Posted

For those further west who want to enjoy watching some of the deeper snowfall further east, here is a good website:

meteoblue_tile_large.png
WWW.METEOBLUE.COM

Current webcams for Southend-on-Sea. Check if it is currently sunny, rainy, cloudy or even snowing in Southend-on-Sea

I will be watching this as I don't expect anything too interesting to happen here other than maybe a dusting (which I don't mind, for reasons previously stated to be honest!)

Posted
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

It is because the UKMO is the most NW of the models now in terms of the heavier stuff, which is obviously what the UKMO use.

I expect it to fall inline with the rest of the models for further west tomorrow morning.

Still very snowy for the east of the region regardless. 

I wonder whether someone could compile a list of webcams from some N/Kent/S.Essex locations?

So us who are further west can live the event through the webcams!

They could all shift NW slight by the morning of course.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW
9 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Storm Darcy named by Dutch Met:

970909994_StormDarcy.thumb.jpg.859d5ebc7308724299930eb871ae4434.jpg

Source: Twitter @metoffice

If we don’t get lucky from this we are cursed!

good luck everyone. 

• Like 1

Posted

Really looking forward to saying I’ve not seen it worse”

But if I can’t I am not going to loose any sleep. I have prepared as best I can for a cold snap of a possible unknown duration. Hopefully everyone else has turned off or insulated their outside taps and protected things that might be affected by hard frost that might go on for a bit. 

• Like 1

Posted

So storm Darcy they say.. don't think I recall a named storm apart from strong winds and rain. . 

I wonder if there is creteria for naming a storm?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

It's funny (but perfectly feasible) how one aims for the goldilocks zone with winter 'storms'.

Too far out you're safe in terms of temperature but face lighter precipitation. Too far in you have heavier precipitation but run the risk of being too warm and end up with sleet or rain. 

Questions is, where will it be 'just right'? 

Still potential to end up a bust this weekend if the low is in the wrong place. Of course a bust for one may be a result for someone else! 

Fingers crossed

Posted
1 minute ago, Hammer said:

They could all shift NW slight by the morning of course.

They definately could.

What is worrying though is how nearly all the of the models other than the UKMO based models suddenly shifted eastwards. Thats normally qite telling that there is an atmoshperic signal that has been picked up by the models.

It is possible though that they are overdoing it and it may well correct its way back westwards again.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Bradley in Kent said:

It's funny (but perfectly feasible) how one aims for the goldilocks zone with winter 'storms'.

Too far out you're safe in terms of temperature but face lighter precipitation. Too far in you have heavier precipitation but run the risk of being too warm and end up with sleet or rain. 

Questions is, where will it be 'just right'? 

Still potential to end up a bust this weekend if the low is in the wrong place. Of course a bust for one may be a result for someone else! 

Fingers crossed

Yes thats interesting. The last YT met office forecast with Alex Deakin, about an hour ago, he did not downplay the snow at all, but did say "now and again there may be bits of rain mixed in with this. If this goes further NW certainly Kent could possibly end up with more of a rainy mix. So imby id rather the low stayed right where it is. But what will be will be

• Like 1

Posted

No point in lamp post watching here as council turn them off at midnight. Got a good powerful torch and laser pen. That assumes I wake up. Otherwise it is looking at my security cameras on my phone if feeling too lazy to pull the curtains back. 

Edited by Snipper
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Dazzer6666 said:

Maybe I’ll go up to Ditchling Beacon and live-stream on Facebook from about 2am on Sunday

I would say going to the Ashdown forest will be a better location some car parks that are exposed to the north east. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!
1 minute ago, RJM said:

Yes thats interesting. The last YT met office forecast with Alex Deakin, about an hour ago, he did not downplay the snow at all, but did say "now and again there may be bits of rain mixed in with this. If this goes further NW certainly Kent could possibly end up with more of a rainy mix. So imby id rather the low stayed right where it is. But what will be will be

Yes same as. It looks like we'll have to wait until the event itself to see where this goldilocks zone is. 

Not going to lie I feel entitled to snow given I've not seen any for two years!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
13 minutes ago, Dr cat said:

That snow looks more north and west? Or just me?

There is some high res model support for a similar extent of snow cover as that suggested by the Storm Darcy tweet. These charts for midday'ish Monday illustrate that. Fingers crossed for those further west in the Region hoping for some snow.

NMM 764577864_NMMMon08Feb.thumb.png.7e19e39d8fcff67e93aea157c5183346.png Icon 901628292_IconMon08Feb.thumb.png.ab12ca8869d390ee8f71907f5b47be1b.png

GFS  469936469_GFSMon08Feb.thumb.GIF.323cd450a391d5a1965ed270852fcb85.GIF

Posted
1 minute ago, Surrey said:

So looks like mets model is very much in line with the Euro4.. 

Hopefully we see even more improvements 

Trouble is, as I just posted, too much move NW and there's a real chance of bringing in some sleet which starts to creep into extreme SE. So improvement for some is a deterioration for others, potentially at least

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Bradley in Kent said:

Yes same as. It looks like we'll have to wait until the event itself to see where this goldilocks zone is. 

Not going to lie I feel entitled to snow given I've not seen any for two years!

Can remember on several occasions when heavey snow slowly turned into rain. Nice when the snow fell. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, Vesuvius said:

My fellow South East Essex folks might have a view on when Crown Hill is shut. I’ll say 6am. 

Is that the road that leads towards the town center (the railway station on the other end?)

Been a while since I've been in that part of the world.

Langdon hills would be interesting place to travel to in this spell, over 100m will certainly help with accumulation numbers.

Just now, kold weather said:

Is that the road that leads towards the town center (the railway station on the other end?)

Been a while since I've been in that part of the world.

Langdon hills would be interesting place to travel to in this spell, over 100m will certainly help with accumulation numbers.

I live next to Langdon hills so I’m happy I can walk there 

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Vesuvius said:

My fellow South East Essex folks might have a view on when Crown Hill is shut. I’ll say 6am. 

I’ll go for 11am.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS
24 minutes ago, kold weather said:

It is because the UKMO is the most NW of the models now in terms of the heavier stuff, which is obviously what the UKMO use.

I expect it to fall inline with the rest of the models for further west tomorrow morning.

Still very snowy for the east of the region regardless. 

I wonder whether someone could compile a list of webcams from some N/Kent/S.Essex locations?

So us who are further west can live the event through the webcams!

No worries.

I will post lots of pics if we hit the jackpot..

• Like 1

Posted

some  how i got to try to get to work on  monday with 19 inches  of snow on the floor!!