Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
4 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

This should cheer most up anyway

UKMO Snow depths to 6am Monday Morning shows a good few inches even way far to the West and South West of London - Jackpot zone looks to be around 10 Inches on the North Downs and parts of Suffolk and Norfolk

are those charts more reliable than the the hi res ones posted above?

Posted
6 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

SE Essex out near Foulness - The East wind was so strong they had to plough through to villages cut off for 5 days and made a dome over the roads - Have some pictures somewhere 

48cm of level snow in some spots

You might be right but as Foulness is as flat as a pancake, out on the marshes I am not sure where it could achieve such a depth. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.
30 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Its going to be Interesting to see where this spell sits in my top Easterly Periods and see if it can get into the top 5

1. 1987

2. 2010

3. 1991

4. 1979

5. 2018

What makes 2010 better than 1991? Is it the length of the cold spell or snow depths. In 1991 I was 13 then and to this day I will never forget it and the amount of snow we had. But at that age I didn’t really care about the temps as long as it snowed. Apart from the snow in 2010, I remember it being so cold the district line train at Barking actually froze to the track.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

Not on my watch buddy 

Lol. Yep you missed out there! Was very funny, especially with the bear tracks.  @Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Burnham in 1987, many roads and lanes were completely drifted over and cut off for 2 days...a plough eventually cleared a single lane.

20210205_180803.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mr_Pessimistic said:

are those charts more reliable than the the hi res ones posted above?

Even the hi res ones are not overly reliable

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

ECM rolling out now. Monday looks the most promising in terms of shower potential.

image.thumb.png.a66e3e58190afa3dac24d4beb2f3336d.png   image.thumb.png.89fb420112260d26f049e0ad3f9d202f.png

A definite bend towards a more ENE flow through the region and a finger and very cold air moving through the region. Thames estuary looks very good potentially but showers should be widespread. 

Yep. Big streamer potential there.

• Like 5

Posted
13 minutes ago, Lord Grogon said:

Oh to be living in Germany now. No worries about being on the edge of the snow band there....

Eh? Millions of Germans are the edge of that snow band and many millions more completely outside it!

Posted
1 minute ago, Snipper said:

You might be right but as Foulness is as flat as a pancake, out on the marshes I am not sure where it could achieve such a depth. 

There is a little connurbation of houses that the MOD Use with a Pub and Post Office as well, so small it hasnt even got a name but is just east of Great Wakering, snow was drifted up to the 2nd floor of a house which was east facing I believe - But pretty sure parts of the North Downs were at 25-30ft as well in that spell

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

This should cheer most up anyway

UKMO Snow depths to 6am Monday Morning shows a good few inches even way far to the West and South West of London - Jackpot zone looks to be around 10 Inches on the North Downs and parts of Suffolk and Norfolk

146155957_436804244403080_3596638756578544579_n.png

Literally I am outside the purple area by a millimetre. It must be about 1 mile from my location here on East Herts / West Essex border.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat
1 minute ago, chionomaniac said:

Yep. Big streamer potential there.

How are we looking on south coast for Sunday ? 

Posted

The snow is becoming ever corrected southeast on the runs ......of course we know that precip is always a nowcasting situation but we’d like to be looking at models promising precip now rather than removing it .....

amber zone on metro warning looks right 

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, HammerJack said:

What makes 2010 better than 1991? Is it the length of the cold spell or snow depths. In 1991 I was 13 then and to this day I will never forget it and the amount of snow we had. But at that age I didn’t really care about the temps as long as it snowed. Apart from the snow in 2010, I remember it being so cold the district line train at Barking actually froze to the track.

2010 just better than 1991 for depth of snow with 34cm to 28cm of level snow and depth of cold with -18c achieved in 2010 and -13c in 1991. Also 1991 was a 4 day affair whereas 2010 was nearly 20 days

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

And get stuck in snow drifts  

Times past use to hop into my mini with some mates and see if we could get stuck. Mini had a sump guard  so it use to slide over most things. Unfortunately I don’t feel the same being in my 70’s as I did in my late teens. Regrettably become a sad old fart is not much fun. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
2 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

There is a little connurbation of houses that the MOD Use with a Pub and Post Office as well, so small it hasnt even got a name but is just east of Great Wakering, snow was drifted up to the 2nd floor of a house which was east facing I believe - But pretty sure parts of the North Downs were at 25-30ft as well in that spell

Yep, I've been there.  Known to locals as White City

Posted
1 hour ago, clark3r said:

People are getting too caught up on each run, the latest metoffice forecast for our region is amazing, jez if I fail to get snow in the next few days it will be the biggest let down ever 

The Met Office has been the steady ship over the last 10 days or so, I would be very disappointed should it let us down at the final hurdle.  It is only really Icon/Aperage pushing the low further East

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Ice Day said:

Yep, I've been there.  Known to locals as White City

Well you learn something new every day thanks for that. 

Dont even think its on any ordanance survey map as that is it ?

Posted
8 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

ECM rolling out now. Monday looks the most promising in terms of shower potential.

image.thumb.png.a66e3e58190afa3dac24d4beb2f3336d.png   image.thumb.png.89fb420112260d26f049e0ad3f9d202f.png

A definite bend towards a more ENE flow through the region and a finger and very cold air moving through the region. Thames estuary and areas south west of the Wash look very good potentially. However showers should be widespread so hopefully most should see some snow falling, which will settle in sheltered spots out of the wind.

Question for @danm

Do you remember the mini event of I think 3 Feb 2015? Was a really weird one that dumped 5-7cm across Chingford Plains in Epping Forest yet there was absolutely nothing east and west of here. I got into town to the office and there was absolutely nothing. 

Was that from a Wash Streamer? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

Well you learn something new every day thanks for that. 

Dont even think its on any ordanance survey map as that is it ?

No I don't think so, there's only about 6 houses there so why it was so named is a mystery? Great place to visit though 

Posted
8 minutes ago, Marie said:

How are we looking on south coast for Sunday ? 

When I lived in Brighton, the exact direction of the airflow and where streamers were directed was all important - so one of those situations that by Tuesday you could end up with 10cm if the streamer aligns well. If it doesn’t then Eastbourne could have the 10cm and Brighton less than 5. 

One thing I love about ice days though, is the icicles that can form from melting snow on roofs that refreezes. Saw some great ones in 2010 and 1991. 

Edited by chionomaniac
  • Like 4

Posted
12 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

A definite bend towards a more ENE flow through the region and a finger and very cold air moving through the region. Thames estuary and areas south west of the Wash look very good potentially. However showers should be widespread so hopefully most should see some snow falling, which will settle in sheltered spots out of the wind.

Ironically not, the best day is Tuesday.

Steering winds are NE at lower levels on Monday, then turn ene Tuesday, hence why earlier ukv and other models even gfs and gem have a Thames streamer reflection on tuesday.

Broadly

sunday anyone

Monday - more Kent based until the evening

Tuesday - thames streamer, as long as the lp to our south doesnt edge too close to turn off the taps.

• Like 2

Posted

ecm prolongning snow chances out to at least Wednesday for our region and uppers are colder now at day 5 !

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, hurricane-anna said:

Hello all, really starting to get worried for us here in peterborough,think we might be just a bit too far north and west shouldn't be down thou as had a couple of cms 2 weeks ago.. just looks like such a good set up to be missing out on.. oh well fingers crossed something changes for us here, but wow to everyone else in the area, about time the south east and east Anglia were the area to get buried . had a look in the MAD thread earlier and the way some in the Midlands were complaining about 'us' getting the snow and how bad it was that it wouldn't reach them had me so so close to giving them a mouthful Haha I mean think of how lucky theyve all been for some time now... so so glad I try to stay outta there, I mean hey it hasnt even snowed yet and they're looking for the breakdown words fail me they really do... hope everyone is keeping well, and good luck to all in the coming days, some of you are gonna get totally buried xx

Yes if you believe the Met Office app we have today gone from two days of light snow, Sunday and Monday to Heavy snow sat eve and light snow Sunday to sleet on Saturday eve and then dry 

Hoping the ARPEGE is right re the Wash Streamer 

• Like 1