Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted

Turned out another mild sunny day after the damp start. Do we really need snow? All the crocuses and daffs are blooming over the park areas, be a shame to kill them off.

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
1 hour ago, kate1 said:

Good to check in again to the SE thread - was starting to think I'd never get the chance! OK, now I am properly excited - the MetO has me down for heavy snow most of the day on Sunday and light snow right the way through Monday too..... how long is it since that happened? I must admit I am slightly concerned though for OAPs with vaccines booked - hate to think of them having to struggle through snow with the inevitable injuries that will follow. We should all keep an eye on our neighbours and offer them lifts to the vaccination centres where necessary (if, of course, we can get our cars out of the driveway....) Re 1991, I remember that well - we were sent home from work early, but the train ground to a halt several stops from home so I had to get out and catch a bus - which only made it half a mile before the road was impassable. So walking was the only option, and not expecting the severe weather I had totally unsuitable smart office shoes on. Crossing Blackheath was quite an experience - fell over several times, but there was so much snow it was like falling into a marshmallow. When I reached home I literally looked like a snowman - my hair was frozen solid. The shoes were, needless to say, a write-off.

Hi Kate, yes I'm in Tunbridge Wells too.  Neighbour's going for their vaccination on Sunday morning.  The wife especially is getting a bit concerned re weather.  I've suggested they park on the main road overnight Saturday which I'm sure will be gritted.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
2 hours ago, Paul Sherman said:

Amazing to think this is going to start pretty much to the hour from the 1991 spell almost exactly 30 years ago to the day 

I remember that Thursday on the 7th Feb 1991 being sent home from work around Midday and leaving London which had a dusting and getting pretty much the last train out of Liverpool Street to get home to about 5cm that had already fallen at the start of that spell.

Does anyone have the charts for the 7th Feb 1991 ?

It is crazy to think this spell is starting exactly 30 years later, talk about weird timing! 

Always great to remind ourselves of that time. It is still the benchmark for me. I was only 5 at the time but remember the heavy snow well. Getting sent home from school in north east London with snow drifts piling high up against the school playground walls. Our classroom door leading out to the playground was blocked with snow so we had to walk through the main hall and out of a different exit. A good foot of powdery snow lay on the ground by the 8th/9th with daytime temperatures of around -4c/-5c. I have no memory of Jan 87, being only a year old, which was colder but not as snowy for London as Feb 91, although 87 was exceptional for snow to the east of London.

Never get bored of watching these classic forecasts from that spell:

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

I’ll take that Tim . Keep getting the jitters I’m not gonna see much here . Who is Dan Holley mate ? 

He has presented on BBC (look east) but now works for a private group. Have you ever see the convective weather site? Believe he is involved I’m with that and many others. He posts on here under @staplehurst ..perhaps if he gets time he will pop in over the weekend and update us on his views.  

Met warning looks like a direct lift of Euro4 to me... 

586469CC-D8E2-43DA-8B52-43E0908DA99A.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Whilst I wait hoping for snow and everyone’s hopes grow, 

The amber warning looks like snow for most,

let’s hope we’re lucky enough on the coast, 

will the warnings extend west or will the extend south?

I’m just praying the snow reaches my house, 

so tomorrow is Saturday and as I wait for night, for snow to start falling and cars start stalling, 

this south east community deserves  the beauty of a red warning and a streamer stalling, 

so I wish luck to everyone but will envy the best ones,

in the upcoming north easterly which we’ve all waited for so peaceful..... 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails
15 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Nov 30th to Dec 2nd 2010 saw 34cm of Level Snow here, surprised you never got anything more from that event.

02DEC2010 549.jpg

Was it really that long ago!!!! I remember this!! Just been to check when i joined this group and it was 12 years this month.

Posted
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

He has presented on BBC (look east) but now works for a private group. Have you ever see the convective weather site? Believe he is involved I’m with that and many others. He posts on here under @staplehurst ..perhaps if he gets time he will pop in over the weekend and update us on his views.  

Was just going to say that! Some places could have a historic snowfall if this comes off (not me I dare add!) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Oh my.. That is amazing and only until 1pm on Sunday. 

Edited by Snowman31
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Just to note, drifting snow can carry a long way, so areas nearby not seeing actual snow under the radar may well get some. 

• Like 5

Posted

Been looking at the rain to snow transition times. The zone seems to be between midnight and 3am Sunday for the changeover for the region. Looks like an all-nighter then ??

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
1 hour ago, Downpour said:

Yet again we see the extreme moderation of UHI in London. Not much in the way of lying snow on that chart.

It will absolutely be cold enough for snow to settle for all of us. Perhaps the very centre of London will struggle, but then that's usually the case. However even central London has done well from frigid easterlies in the past. 

You and I on the NE edge of G London will be fine, no UHI effect this far out. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

The latest FAX shows the fronts further east over Europe, so not sure if areas to the west of Kent are likely to get anything at all ?

8A447EA2-E6E2-41BE-AC75-F3C666B6C7DB.png

Anyone knowledgeable care to comment on this?  It looked the same on yesterdays 72hr fax chart..  Looks too far away to affect anyone?...

6 minutes ago, Southender said:

Been looking at the rain to snow transition times. The zone seems to be between midnight and 3am Sunday for the changeover for the region. Looks like an all-nighter then ??

I hate to pull alnighters as I love my sleep and usually I wake up at 4am everyday.. 

What im thinking is going to bed earlier like 7pm and getting up around 1-2am and hopefully the transition will have happened and I will see FLAKES

• Like 4

Just now, Mr_Pessimistic said:

Anyone knowledgeable care to comment on this?  It looked the same on yesterdays 72hr fax chart..  Looks too far away to affect anyone?...

It is Valid at midday Sunday but which point it has probably started to sink back south.. But judging by how tight the isobars are showers or PPN will be packing in from the East

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Surrey said:

It is Valid at midday Sunday but which point it has probably started to sink back south.. But judging by how tight the isobars are showers or PPN will be packing in from the East

Thanks, makes sense..  Does anyone have a link to where met fax charts can be viewed?   

Thanks...

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mr_Pessimistic said:

Thanks, makes sense..  Does anyone have a link to where met fax charts can be viewed?   

Thanks...

Fax Charts

• Thanks 1

Posted

Mod thread... think it should be banned during winter months!..  got a snowfall event on our doorstep and everybody is taking about whats happening from 17th of feb! 

• Like 4

Posted

looks now like i could now be north of what’s to come Sunday? going to be a long sleepless period tomorrow evening onwards  ❄️

Just now, nanu said:

Mod thread... think it should be banned during winter months!..  got a snowfall event on our doorstep and everybody is taking about whats happening from 17th of feb! 

It is like this every time there is a major cold spell. The people in the west don't do well from the setup over the next week that well unless lows slide under the block close enough to produce snow which is usually the South west and south.. So some I guess try and poo poo the chances. 

One poster came a cropper this morning in regards to it and quickly got shut down. 

While everyone is entitled to their opinion and to post up what they see (with in the forum rules of course) it does get tedious seeing people try and spoil an event before it is even started.. 

The ignore function is great to filter out the posters that do try whined others up 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
1 minute ago, Nick F said:

T-shirt and shorts weather on Monday then. Will feel fresh in the strong NE wind

Etdk3yTXcAIH8KA.thumb.png.febecc9e19f75498655dc30f62d6c17d.png

I see we've got a heatwave by Monday then dunno why snow is forecast.

• Like 1