Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
17 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Oooh, look at all the white heading our way on Met O precip animation

I think I am happy to not be in the UK currently. Hastings and the E Sussex coast seem to remain in the blue, half the models showing 1cm to 8cm, half showing nothing. Although I think the icon and euro, show best along with GEM showing kent clipper streamer for best part of the day Monday.

Although it will be a shame to miss out on snow I have yet to see in 5 years residing in Hastings, i have had lying snow (1 inch to 8 inches - some drifts recently with some powder snow and winds) since before christmas and temperatures down to minus 23 a couple of weeks ago here in eastern Latvia. Minus 10 daytime today!

Off skiing near Daugavpils tomorrow, on one of the few hills Latvia has, but at a proper skii centre.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

By Dan Holley ...

41858709-4647-4232-9715-6BD94A45902E.jpeg

That's a thing of beauty!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
36 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Do you think they are seeing warm sectors affecting Southern coasts at times Nick?

Run the animation and it is rain to snow and rain to snow on repeat.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

By Dan Holley ...

Thanks for this. MO changing a lot - i had 5 hours of heavy now, now only 2 hours of light snow. Still uncertainty over how far west this will push?

I'd be frustrated if we only get 1-5cm after seeing so many depth charts of 10cm+ in Bucks

Posted
18 minutes ago, Jason M said:

If we were to get 15cm here it would probably be the biggest snowfall since 1991. There have been some good events around the region in the last few years but we have really missed out in this part of Essex. Had a lot of cold rain here whereas places just 15 miles west have seen snow.

i think it was late November 2009 when we got 12cm from a streamer when the wind just veered south of direct East. Usually this side of the estuary we get much less than Kent so this would be a really rare event here if it comes off.

Nov 30th to Dec 2nd 2010 saw 34cm of Level Snow here, surprised you never got anything more from that event.

02DEC2010 549.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

Different charts leading to different scenarios - some throwing most of the snow more 'centrally' to EA and some are keeping it in the SE corner. The charts I have seen predicting the latter have not been the most reliable so far this winter ... which leads me to believe the most likely scenario leads to Eastern parts of EA and Essex/Suffolk in the risk zone for substantial snow. Question marks remain on the southern, northern and western extent ... 

I am hopeful that overall the precip is going to be quite extensive this time, it seems to be looking more that way (therefore less marginal with locations). 

• Like 2

Posted
38 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Spring has sprung here. 

887B4327-0BE9-4BC7-B358-D1FF235E1F75.jpeg

Here too!

20210205_122047.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
5 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

By Dan Holley ...

I like the way that ties in with Beeb's Sarah Keith Lucas 1.30pm forecast of yesterday 'could be several cm's' 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
6 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

By Dan Holley ...

I’ll take that Tim . Keep getting the jitters I’m not gonna see much here . Who is Dan Holley mate ? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

This could be histoicall 10-20cm widely is just incredible and will be remembered in recent times to be one of the biggest Eastern English Snowstorms since the beast that happened in 2018.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 1. Clear skies 2. Cold 3. Snow 4. Hot
42 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Oh god please no not another rain event for Ashford, Folkestone etc

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Yeah, my thinking too, with a strong NEly wind Sunday, snow streaming through the Thames and uplift from the discontinuity between the flat area around the estuary and rising land to the south of the estuary, with streamer development inland across S burbs of London/E Surrey/ W Kent / E and parts of W Sussex a possibility IMO, would suggest amber may need to be extended to these areas based on past experience.

Indeed Nick, I think @kold weather mentioned earlier about previous such events around 2009/2010 which saw this effect happen with some amplification of the precipitation extent and intensity vs modelling when it runs through the estuary, running both North and South.

We could very well be into that territory come Sunday. An exciting 72 hours ahead.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
3 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Nov 30th to Dec 2nd 2010 saw 34cm of Level Snow here, surprised you never got anything more from that event.

That's what was amazing about that event here slightly further up on the coast the deepest snow we had at any time in Dec 2010 was 9cms!! Thames streamer set up and we were just on the north side and largely missed out.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Very exciting times ahead . Thought I’d post the Harmonie final chart that is now coming in to range. Could that be a little Thames streamer showing up amongst the band . 

4511649D-7A9D-4B22-98D0-4F9268CB16B5.png

FD49E36A-00CC-401B-934B-C27C37F9059A.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

The latest FAX shows the fronts further east over Europe, so not sure if areas to the west of Kent are likely to get anything at all ?

8A447EA2-E6E2-41BE-AC75-F3C666B6C7DB.png

Edited by prolongedSnowLover

Posted
8 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

02DEC2010 549.jpg

On that occasion your location really helped. I recall Shoebury doing really well too. Not that 12cm is to be sniffed at! Still a good snowfall.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
11 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

By Dan Holley ...

Also Dan Holley in 2014 posted a graphic elsewhere showing Thames and Kent streamers. Something highly possible over the coming days.

http://www.weatherquest.co.uk/news-archive.php?idx=64

Although I am not sure how NE the winds may be. The more NE the better for Kent and East Sussex, the more ENE the better for N Kent, Surrey towards Hants perhaps.

Winds curling round into the centre of the Low could mean more NE for the far SE corner.

48 hours out, still no certainty!

kent_thames_snow_streamer (1).png

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, prolongedSnowLover said:

The latest FAX shows the fronts further east over Europe, so not sure if areas to the west of Kent are likely to get anything at all ?

They better remove all the warnings now then