Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted

Definately looks like it will feel chilly on Sunday around here, and possible some decent snow up here on the north downs.

image.thumb.png.897e0f890f9909207e4e600f478d8301.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

Morning all, thanks for all the posts leading up to this potential snowy spell. It’s been great to follow! Here in Faversham we haven’t seen any snow for a very long time and I know many others haven’t either. It used to be unusual to have a year without any lying snow and now it’s become more the norm Here’s hoping all that have missed out for a long time get our turn for some of the white stuff ❄️⛄️ I checked the home and dry app this morning and it shows constant precip over this area from sat eve until Tuesday... imagine we would be buried! I’m starting to get that sicky feeling of excitement kid on Christmas springs to mind. I have everything crossed for us all in our region and look forward to the 1029487474839030 posts over the next couple of days

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, ITSY said:

As I feared several days ago, expecting nothing in cambridge now but will keep an eye on the radar just in case. Suffolk and Norfolk and Essex look absolutely sweet though!

Sadly so

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
Just now, Bazza118 said:

Definately looks like it will feel chilly on Sunday around here, and possible some decent snow up here on the north downs.

image.thumb.png.897e0f890f9909207e4e600f478d8301.png

Just down the road in Purley.

Looking forward to heading up Riddlesdown - 180m and exposed = deep snow and good drifts

• Like 1

Posted

Whilst I am looking forward to what snowfall occurs this week I do have concerns with the impact on the current pandemic. I am due to have my vaccine in the next few weeks and if this cold spell becomes extended this may delay the vaccine roll out. Obviously other factors come into play i.e food supplies, online deliveries, and even more importantly the ability of ambulances to respond to emergencies.

A week of sub zero temps and lying snow of 10cm shouldn't cause too many problems. However a 2 week cold spell and/or snowfall in excess of 30cm would cause chaos!

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, TEITS said:

Whilst I am looking forward to what snowfall occurs this week I do have concerns with the impact on the current pandemic. I am due to have my vaccine in the next few weeks and if this cold spell becomes extended this may delay the vaccine roll out. Obviously other factors come into play i.e food supplies, online deliveries, and even more importantly the ability of ambulances to respond to emergencies.

A week of sub zero temps and lying snow of 10cm shouldn't cause too many problems. However a 2 week cold spell and/or snowfall in excess of 30cm would cause chaos!

Try not to worry too much, it will impact a little on the vaccine roll out no doubt, but, we just cannot control the weather and it will do what it wants. It may bring a few days hiatus, but none will go to waste as it will just mean more stock ready for when things are able to go ahead again. 

Obviously the more concerning worry is emergency services tending ice and snow related injuries and the elderly in cold homes. All the more reason to be more careful than usual in this cold spell and to keep watch, safely distanced of course, on elderly neighbours. 

• Like 4

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.
4 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Amazing to think this is going to start pretty much to the hour from the 1991 spell almost exactly 30 years ago to the day 

I remember that Thursday on the 7th Feb 1991 being sent home from work around Midday and leaving London which had a dusting and getting pretty much the last train out of Liverpool Street to get home to about 5cm that had already fallen at the start of that spell.

Does anyone have the charts for the 7th Feb 1991 ?

The greatest forecast I’ve ever seen.....As a teenager living in Essex I was going bezerk. The nonchalant manner he describes temps rising from minus 11 to minus 5

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, EML Network said:

HAHAHA Yup, base layer, vest and standard running top, then i've got my waterproof and windproof jacket No 1 and another waterproof and windproof jacket on top of that.  A buff for my neck, 2 pairs of gloves, knee length socks, plus my trail shoes and calf guards. 

Nice warm hat and another on my hydration vest just to be safe, running boxers, running shorts and thermal leggings and i'll carry windproof and waterproof lightweight running trousers in my hydration vest just to be safe. 

It's a lot of weight to have on your person for running, but I'm working my way up to running the Mont Blanc Mountain marathon in a few years time, plus Snowdonia Marathon this year and Lake district ''5 Passes'' Ultra and the Ring of Hell Ultra marathon and the shropshire way 80km race this year....so it's all good training. 

If anything I might actually be too hot and have to unzip layers hahaha

We'll see how it unfolds, I might opt to stay a little closer to home if its really really bad out there. 

I’ll be straight up to the Downs for a jog if we do get any snow If I see the Michelin Man coming towards me I’ll give you a wave

Posted
7 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Amazing to think this is going to start pretty much to the hour from the 1991 spell almost exactly 30 years ago to the day 

I remember that Thursday on the 7th Feb 1991 being sent home from work around Midday and leaving London which had a dusting and getting pretty much the last train out of Liverpool Street to get home to about 5cm that had already fallen at the start of that spell.

Does my memory serve me right, was that the same year we saw freezing fog for days on end and somewhere around a 125 car pile up on the A12? 

Posted
9 minutes ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

Just down the road in Purley.

Looking forward to heading up Riddlesdown - 180m and exposed = deep snow and good drifts

I'll be heading up onto Farthing downs, or possibly up to Kenley airfield, although the snow does pile up quite nicely in Happy Valley, when we get a decent fall of course.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring

Beautiful morning here, blue skies. Hard to believe we are about to enter the freezer 

• Like 3

Posted

We had a massive new generation of ducks at our village pond this year increasing from about 8 to about 45. Took them a huge bag of food in preparation but pleased to see they had been fed a lot. They wernt too hungry but very noisy ! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
33 minutes ago, EML Network said:

HAHAHA Yup, base layer, vest and standard running top, then i've got my waterproof and windproof jacket No 1 and another waterproof and windproof jacket on top of that.  A buff for my neck, 2 pairs of gloves, knee length socks, plus my trail shoes and calf guards. 

Nice warm hat and another on my hydration vest just to be safe, running boxers, running shorts and thermal leggings and i'll carry windproof and waterproof lightweight running trousers in my hydration vest just to be safe. 

It's a lot of weight to have on your person for running, but I'm working my way up to running the Mont Blanc Mountain marathon in a few years time, plus Snowdonia Marathon this year and Lake district ''5 Passes'' Ultra and the Ring of Hell Ultra marathon and the shropshire way 80km race this year....so it's all good training. 

If anything I might actually be too hot and have to unzip layers hahaha

We'll see how it unfolds, I might opt to stay a little closer to home if its really really bad out there. 

Be sure to take a camera! So we can all view the stunning scenery fingers crossed.

Or conversely when your camera is retrieved from the drifts it will be a story for our Argus newspaper.

MARATHON RUNNER RESCUED FROM THE DYKE.

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Looks like it’s finally on Paul! We wait all this time and it’s occurring pretty much 30 years to the day! Crazy! I remember that day really well, playing football on the Wednesday night with showers of graupel falling then overnight things changed, heavy snow showers on and off then by 2pm the persistent snow kicked in and we were sent home from school.

Found this site with some details from that memorable event, some really great charts and data from the met office there too:

https://wansteadmeteo.com/2018/02/06/the-severe-cold-spell-of-february-1991/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Both the 06z ICON and the 06z GFS have shifted the precio shield a litrle further NW compared to previous runs.

Also both runs have more than a hint of a streamer or two forming. The exact angle is probably yet to be decided depending on the exacts of the LP. We probably won't get much forward notice about exact locations *if* it forms until very close in as even a 20-40 mile shift in the LP core may make the difference between winds coming from 90 degrees or 60 degrees.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Both the 06z ICON and the 06z GFS have shifted the precio shield a litrle further NW compared to previous runs.

Also both runs have more than a hint of a streamer or two forming. The exact angle is probably yet to be decided depending on the exacts of the LP. We probably won't get much forward notice about exact locations *if* it forms until very close in as even a 20-40 mile shift in the LP core may make the difference between winds coming from 90 degrees or 60 degrees.

If it blows the snow towards East Berkshire that would be nice

Posted

I think I am about 25 miles west of closest point to the sea on the east coast.

Historically I think I do better from an easterly just more so ESE rather than from North Easterly.

Possibly going to be just outside best locations but hope to see some snow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
3 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

Looking good for cental northern England Saturday. There's the humber streamer that's been constantly progged early next week

image.png

image.png

Bottom chart shows the low chance of heavy snow in the south. Imby post, I know.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
4 minutes ago, Bazza118 said:

I'll be heading up onto Farthing downs, or possibly up to Kenley airfield, although the snow does pile up quite nicely in Happy Valley, when we get a decent fall of course.

Yeah, Kenley is a good shout as the airfield is very exposed on all sides.

Will be bitter!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
19 minutes ago, 80sWeather said:

The greatest forecast I’ve ever seen.....As a teenager living in Essex I was going bezerk. The nonchalant manner he describes temps rising from minus 11 to minus 5

he sounds like he hasn't got a clue what he is on about 

• Like 1