Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring
1 minute ago, simonhall6 said:

Met office Amber warnings for the whole SE now been issued by the met office for both Sunday and Monday

174BDF01-F0A5-424E-8A7D-6A18821BB38A.png

C6ED33D6-D584-48BB-A601-E18BB85F92C7.png

CC918D4B-5388-451B-B1E2-F7DCA214CB73.png

That's yellow 

• Like 1

Posted

I have mixed feelings about this upcoming event - I bought a sledge back in 2018 after the BFTE and haven’t been able to use it yet. We had falling snow on 24th January here in Haywards Heath and I watched it fall from the window of the hospital room where my daughter had just been born (love that she was born on a snow day, even if it did melt almost instantly!) Now it looks like we finally have a good shout at some decent snow but the chances of my wife being ok with me going out sledging whilst she looks after the baby are slim

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 minute ago, Uxbridge90 said:

Simon is from the future and just giving us a heads up on the amber warnings

Hopefully tomorrow at 11am

• Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, lewis028 said:

I have one coming Saturday ??

Trying to decide whether to order one - convinced it'll jinx the whole thing though!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
2 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

Trying to decide whether to order one - convinced it'll jinx the whole thing though!

Hurry, they will be going like hot cakes once the media get on board with this cold spell

Edited by simonhall6

Posted

Worth noting that if any streamers do set-up on Monday that yellow warning will need to be adjusted further WSW/SW to take account of that, as the models right now will do no more than throw out a general hint of a streamer setting up.

Also, the 06z GFS ensembles are looking increasingly snowy for the whole region on Sunday and into Sunday night and are upping the snow levels generally, though I have to admit there is still a fair amount of uncertainty.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
18 minutes ago, EML Network said:

I'm not expecting diddly squat along the South Coast, it will rain here like it ALWAYS does and a few miles inland will get a pasting of snow. 

Just as well I'm a ultra marathon runner though, because if the snow won't come to me My legs will take me to it elevation I think will be important along the coast here, South Downs should do fine, but a wet mushy mix of sleet and wet snow on the immediate cost line IMO. 

East Anglia, London, Essex, North Kent, Mid sussex, Surrey all look primed for a good steamy dump of the lovely white stuff though

As a fellow near south coaster I share your pain from previous events, however, on this occasion it’s not sounding as though marginality is going to be an issue for us, at least for Sunday.

As always, in this type of set up I get more nervous at missing out on the precipitation, though the fact this is spending more “frontal” will hopefully make this less of a concern for anyone. Glass half full, we get both the persistent stuff and the convection!

• Like 3

Posted
17 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Yes would be nice for all areas to get a big dumping to end the winter on a positive note

Like Darren I believe there is a lot of scope for that warning to get bumped up the Matrix to an Amber probably around 1030am on Saturday morning when confidence is more apparant and the more Hi Res Models are taken into account.

Could be an epic walk on Sunday though 

I'd like a repeat of Feb 09, though of course without the oddities that happened for you guys!

Turns out a met office station at Alice Holt ended up getting 23cms from that. I'd take in an instant!

I'm just hopeful that any streamer has enough puff to get here, I'm probably towards the far end of where a streamer can reach, but clearly in strong events it can get even this far SW into the region, such as 09. I'm not sure how well this region did in other events, though I know the BFTE wasn't anything special with occasional dustings, but to be fair this one looks a little more unstable despite warmer 850hpa profiles.

I wonder what 87 and 91 did locally...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

Woke this morning to fog horns at sea, love hearing them but must say I am excited now about upcoming event, about time us close to the Thames people get a bit of action!! I must have known as I just bought a AWD car too!! 

• Like 3

Posted
22 minutes ago, simonhall6 said:

Hurry, they will be going like hot cakes once the media get on board with this cold spell

Just sent the husband to the garage to see if our old one is in there - if not there's one that'll arrive by Saturday 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather Wonder said:

Anyone else thought of the potential disruption? During our last wet snow event on Sunday there was big problems with grit not being as effective due to the lower traffic on the roads. Imagine the same scenario but with powder snow continually accumulating and sub zero daytime temps.

The A281 was a complete nightmare between Guildford and Cranleigh! Potholes hidden under snow, lorries driving like loons, did not seem to have been gritted. 

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Thames streamer?

streamer.thumb.jpg.a394f47947585eb700140176e678fe20.jpg

Why are there still (only) -4's over the far SE?! Hoping that'll either not matter too much if we're drawing in cold surface air or the colder 850's will move this way!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

God I’m so excited about this. Not just the snow, but maybe some thunder snow opportunities too, something which I haven’t witnessed since 2008/09!! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Disruptive

Anyone who is after a Sledge I'm selling one for £500!

Supply & Demand

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Storm That Lasts 3 Days

Brighton still looks like it's on the edge  these lows from atlantic keep pushing the cold air to north, so annoying, they just keep coming!

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
20 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Thames streamer?

Yuk, NE winds are so much better for all, especially at the strength they are. Thames Streamers are very limited, such as in the case of North winds which scrape the far east of kent

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

OK, was trying not to get excited but i think the time has come to let the butterflies loose. The sledges that we optimistically brought down from the loft for last Sunday week are still in the corner of the living room as the next cold snap was nudging into view. There wasn't quite enough snow for me to bother on the last event, but I feel a bit more hopeful this time. I should be skiing in the Dolomites this week but sledging in Coulsdon will have to do instead!

• Like 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, Vesuvius said:

That’s my hobby on days it doesn’t snow. I’ve only missed three days in the last 6 years. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

I suspect I will have to get my small plank of wood out on Saturday.

Measuring will be a hard job in the tremendous blizzards accumulating in 0.2 cm

• Like 1