Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot summers
1 minute ago, UKSnakey said:

@gooner265 I'm biased to the netweather one personally. I also "cheat" by reading this topic as theres nothing more definitive and accurate than peoples own reports! Removes any anaprop (anomalous propagation/ "fake radar returns")

Thanks mate , which part of N Kent are you?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot summers
2 minutes ago, UKSnakey said:

You're welcome. Medway towns 

Ah ok , I moved from Rochester last year ,seen some good falls there , right on the river now hopefully my altitude doesn't affect me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
8 minutes ago, gooner265 said:

Ah ok , I moved from Rochester last year ,seen some good falls there , right on the river now hopefully my altitude doesn't affect me.

I loved sitting in the castle gardens overlooking the river in summer. Eased my mental health concerns to take a sideline from the world and have some me time. But I digress... elevation in the coming days shouldn't be a concern hopefully! Fingers crossed we all can reap some snowy rewards.

• Like 3

Posted

Very cold signal now very strong EPS nearly showing several ice days for London.

DF61581F-B28A-4222-87AF-940DF7AD0C56.thumb.png.9c7a54220c35c71342a254d65f470783.png

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

Very cold signal now very strong EPS nearly showing several ice days for London.

DF61581F-B28A-4222-87AF-940DF7AD0C56.thumb.png.9c7a54220c35c71342a254d65f470783.png

Short-lived but certainly a real blast of cold. Enough for even me to dig out the woolies from the back of the cupboard.

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Short-lived but certainly a real blast of cold. Enough for even me to dig out the woolies from the back of the cupboard.

Comparing with yesterday’s 12z it has extended by a day. Room for further upgrades with longevity. 

28023F87-CA27-48AE-8B0E-63E8A5164920.thumb.png.4e98e3b165a69625a508fcc7d3e65a3e.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
3 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Comparing with yesterday’s 12z it has extended by a day. Room for further upgrades with longevity. 

28023F87-CA27-48AE-8B0E-63E8A5164920.thumb.png.4e98e3b165a69625a508fcc7d3e65a3e.png

I just hope we can get a decent battleground event when it eventually does break down. They're as rare as hens' teeth. I'll enjoy Sunday and Monday anyway, hopefully a seriously cold night thrown in as well.

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I just hope we can get a decent battleground event when it eventually does break down. They're as rare as hens' teeth. I'll enjoy Sunday and Monday anyway, hopefully a seriously cold night thrown in as well.

Too far out to take much notice of but crikey these lows modelled Thursday morning on ECM 12z coldest temps correlate well with deeper snow. It must be quite likely the breakdown will feature snow given how cold it would have been.

BEDD2953-9233-42BA-BDA9-C5F93B3337DF.thumb.png.3798a59cb93a66ff4c0f234b9a9b4a37.png9F711F7D-A7DE-4E12-A867-5AABAC91C0C9.thumb.png.b1441c9f080039b9c55b62790d85a4e6.png

• Like 1

Posted

So in terms of having the best combination of heavy snow whilst also keeping very cold uppers for us in SE England, perturbation 14 from GFS 18z is a good example:

gens-14-1-108-1.thumb.png.a5e66a4a3d600cfc57cd4bf20510921b.pnggens-14-0-108.thumb.png.e9037e565dd5823456b1bc11eae7853c.pnggens-14-2-108.thumb.png.4965c7c4f17c494d07fbbb597231154d.pnggensfr-14-2-108.thumb.png.302f2506152315bbd10ab02681e181ac.png

Brutal -10 to -12 uppers (for the entirety of monday & tuesday) and the western edge of the band of heavy precipitation, expected to cause over 30cm of snow in holland, extending well in to SE England.

Many different ways the op runs could shift over the next few days, but theres a few ensembles currently suggesting something similar to this. The servers to this forum are going to crash if the op runs start showing the above.

Edited by londonblizzard
  • Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, londonblizzard said:

So in terms of having the best combination of heavy snow whilst also keeping very cold uppers for us in SE England, perturbation 14 from GFS 18z is a good example:

gens-14-1-108-1.thumb.png.a5e66a4a3d600cfc57cd4bf20510921b.pnggens-14-0-108.thumb.png.e9037e565dd5823456b1bc11eae7853c.pnggens-14-2-108.thumb.png.4965c7c4f17c494d07fbbb597231154d.pnggensfr-14-2-108.thumb.png.302f2506152315bbd10ab02681e181ac.png

Brutal -10 to -12 uppers (for the entirety of monday & tuesday) and the western edge of the band of heavy precipitation, expected to cause over 30cm of snow in holland, extending well in to SE England.

Many different ways the op runs could shift over the next few days, but theres a few ensembles currently suggesting something similar to this. The servers to this forum are going to crash if the op runs start showing the above.

At present warnings only include  east anglia and NOT THE SOUTHEAST FOR SNOW ggrrrr

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
3 hours ago, UKSnakey said:

I loved sitting in the castle gardens overlooking the river in summer. Eased my mental health concerns to take a sideline from the world and have some me time. But I digress... elevation in the coming days shouldn't be a concern hopefully! Fingers crossed we all can reap some snowy rewards.

My mum lives in Strood. There was a run of winters in the 1990s and even early 2000s where we'd be snowless in Dartford and you could guarantee once you got past Gravesend Medway would have some nice falls of snow with a NEly flow there that then went on to head through mid Kent Tunbridge Wells etc and into Northern parts of Sussex occasionally, I always remember 90% of winters Chatham and Gillingham in particular having a lot more snow than anywhere west of here! 

I also remember a very localised 10cm snowfall in Strood that came out of nowhere which I believe to have been around 1st December 1996, absolutely nothing in Dartford or Gravesend then got to London Road Strood and suddenly boom heavy snow shower left a nice few inches, but there was nothing further East in Medway! Was the most bizarre localised snowfall I've ever known!

Its so unusual we get a snowy ENE flow to bring the goods home to the NW Kent/SE London borders and the same over the river in Essex/ E London though early January 2003 was the first decent snowfall I remember in these areas since probably the famous Feb 1991 event and we could be on the cusp of a historic  "Thames streamer" which is still good for medway also 

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.

Something I remember while awaiting the BFTE is noticing the clouds skitting east to west, perfect little white balls of popcorn clouds hurrying across the blue skies. Is this something I am likely to see again with these easterlies? (Fleet. NE Hants)

Edited by Mizzle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Latest ICON is lovely!!Although a long way off next Wednesday we have front from Atlantic on a great angle of attack sliding in.We are in uppers of -10/11 and if it played out like this then I think the cold will stay in place till Friday /Saturday at least.We have good heights in place between Iceland and Greenland as per Met office update.Historically these type of sliders tend to move further south over time so even if they went too far and we missed out the plus side is we would stay very cold and prolong the cold spellAll a long way off and hopefully start of a trend.Fascinating model watching this winter and hopefully from Saturday the SE can join in the fun that the majority of the UK has seen already this winter

stay safe

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Boll###s is it looking dry later on Sunday& Monday best app update yet in terms of the ❄? symbols showing! Maybe they mean dry powder stuff falling?Met&BBC upgrades

Screenshot_20210204-035210_Met Office.jpg

Screenshot_20210204-035204_Met Office.jpg

Screenshot_20210204-035157_Met Office.jpg

Screenshot_20210204-030842_BBC Weather.jpg

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 2

Posted

And I thought those apps were good look at this on Two Outlook which apparently uses GFS 5days solid of snow virtually every timeframe!

This has surely got to be unprecedented for this part of the world! Dont even remember this in 2010 or anything!!

Screenshot_20210204-035953_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210204-040222_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210204-040229_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210204-040233_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210204-040237_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210204-040244_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Any news or views on the mild sector over our region Monday?

Not there.. Never was the people the drummed up the idea thought -6 uppers were a mild sector. 

Given that the uppers look around -10 - -12 then one could consider that mild 

Unfortunately and its by no fault of their own.. People don't quite understand the charts sometimes.. The best one that catches people out in winter is when they see the pressure charts in Winter and assume the yellows over us (high pressure) mean warm.. Quite the opposite in winter and can be bitter if the high pressure sets up in the right spot.. 

Sunday/Monday is getting me to sit up in my chair but until tomorrow/Saturday im not buying into anything yet..

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and plenty of it.

Snow for Whitstable from Sunday to Wednesday is unheard of! If this comes off it will be memorable for this part of Kent as we almost always miss out. My 2 yr old grandson will see his first snow and I’ll get to make my first snowman in around 20 years!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

This could be great at last 

Screenshot_20210204-063558_Met Office.jpg

Posted

Got to laugh at the difference between Itv and BBC- the former showing the next week with % for rainfall in the South and loads of sleet symbols and Laura Tobin even said the words " a bit of sleet" when referring to next week. How the #### can they be saying such rubbish when all models and apps etc have a cross model consensus that for most of the week atleast the first part will all virtually be snow.

Meanwhile BBC London or SE? I seem to get both at different times of the day gut tells me it was the former, she showed the next few days with snow every day from Sunday to Thursday except Wednesday!! And even said "potential for disruptive snowfalls for the region"

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sparky68 said:

This could be great at last 

Screenshot_20210204-063558_Met Office.jpg

I expect these to be updated probably tomorrow to include much of the East coast then Saturday I assume the detail on Sunday will be resolved...

If we get a snowy Sunday again that would be 2 in 3 weeks.. I have never ever experienced that in my 27 years on the planet 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Got to laugh at the difference between Itv and BBC- the former showing the next week with % for rainfall and loads of sleet symbols and Laura Tobin even said the words " a bit of sleet" when referring to.

next week?! How the #### can they be saying such rubbish when all.mdoels and.apps etc have a cross.model consensus that for most of the week atleast the first part will all virtually be snow.

Meanwhile BBC London or SE? I seem to get both at different times of the day gut tells me it was the former,she showed the next few days with snow every day from Sunday to Thursday except Wednesday!! And even said "potential for disruptive snowfalls for the region"

Out dated data being used and also TV forecasts again with all due respect to all the humans on this planet are not really aimed at us strange lot that love weather.. They need to be careful in what they say as mass panic could ensue.. With the current pandemic that's the last thing we need!

If the weather reporter did one this morning showing the potential cold next week and weekend the panic that would start.. Its hard I think as well to get all the detail in the short time space they have... 

EDIT: I think I have measured the biggest drop in temperature on my weather station yesterday/this morning..

I had 11.8c as a high yesterday now 0.4c!

Edited by Surrey
  • Like 2