Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Many thanks for all those recollections of the 1962/3 winter as they bring back a flood of memories to me. At the time I lived in Writtle, near Chelmsford and attended the local secondary school. I lived in a council house built just after the end of WW1- under the "homes fit for heroes" government initiative.

The council decided our houses needed upgrading both internally and externally and had removed all the pebble dash from our house just before Christmas. It was possible to see daylight through the gaps between bricks. With the onset of the very cold weather on Boxing Day and it lasting for many weeks it was not possible because of the ambient temperature to replace the pebble dash. It was absolutely perishing cold indoors. In the mornings we had to break the ice in the toilet bowl and the inside of the windows were covered in ice. 

It was certainly not a pleasant experience doing my homework in my bedroom.

When we returned to school from our Christmas break the weather did not relent. The school adjoined fields with crops of cabbages. Pigeons were desperate for food and devastating the crops. The farmer decide to start shooting them and many dead and injured birds were landing in the school grounds, This was very upsetting for the children and the farmer agreed to stop the killing.

I can remember going home each night to listen to the weather forecast on the BBC Home Service (Radio 4 would be today's equivalent) and the presenter would state on numerous occasions that in the outlook- milder weather coming in from the southwest would win out. but it did not happen and the US long range forecasts that predicted the severe would be long lasting proved correct.

Are we due a severe spell? Things are looking up in that respect but as it is starting fairly late in the winter it would not be of such longevity.

I will be glued to the 16.00 and 18.00 model output.

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

A four day cold spell with the mean below zero and say 3 mornings of lying snow would be a pretty good cold spell - I am not sure where people are seeing anything more than that - I live hearing the recollections of winters past not sure this period will be a match to them though ! ? 

• Like 2

Posted
47 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

I hope it doesn't end in an anti climax...as for the weather

Boom & tish

Posted
15 minutes ago, Laurence Hill said:

For the first time I have got snow on my Dark Sky app for Wednesday.

Yes they seem quite slow indicating rain on occasions. Mind you generally they are fairly right. 

• Like 1

Posted

It's a slightly dissappointing update, for our region, on the Met Office long ranger updated just now.  This is for early next week.

"Snow showers are possible across the country during the early part of the period, but most widespread and heaviest for northeastern areas."

Posted
1 minute ago, snowblind said:

It's a slightly dissappointing update, for our region, on the Met Office long ranger updated just now.  This is for early next week.

"Snow showers are possible across the country during the early part of the period, but most widespread and heaviest for northeastern areas."

Friday, mostly cloudy with afternoon showers, locally heavy. Clear skies and widespread frost overnight. Isolated showers on Saturday. Sunday, cold and windy with a chance of snow showers. Turning colder.

For 3-5 days time, ill take that!! 

Posted
8 minutes ago, snowblind said:

That is also for the whole country. Note the use of the word country. It's not for our region but you'll find that forecast will likely be on all regions.

There is too much uncertainty  still down here to put anything other than possible snow showers outside of places towards the NE end.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
32 minutes ago, claret047 said:

Many thanks for all those recollections of the 1962/3 winter as they bring back a flood of memories to me. At the time I lived in Writtle, near Chelmsford and attended the local secondary school. I lived in a council house built just after the end of WW1- under the "homes fit for heroes" government initiative.

The council decided our houses needed upgrading both internally and externally and had removed all the pebble dash from our house just before Christmas. It was possible to see daylight through the gaps between bricks. With the onset of the very cold weather on Boxing Day and it lasting for many weeks it was not possible because of the ambient temperature to replace the pebble dash. It was absolutely perishing cold indoors. In the mornings we had to break the ice in the toilet bowl and the inside of the windows were covered in ice. 

It was certainly not a pleasant experience doing my homework in my bedroom.

When we returned to school from our Christmas break the weather did not relent. The school adjoined fields with crops of cabbages. Pigeons were desperate for food and devastating the crops. The farmer decide to start shooting them and many dead and injured birds were landing in the school grounds, This was very upsetting for the children and the farmer agreed to stop the killing.

I can remember going home each night to listen to the weather forecast on the BBC Home Service (Radio 4 would be today's equivalent) and the presenter would state on numerous occasions that in the outlook- milder weather coming in from the southwest would win out. but it did not happen and the US long range forecasts that predicted the severe would be long lasting proved correct.

Are we due a severe spell? Things are looking up in that respect but as it is starting fairly late in the winter it would not be of such longevity.

I will be glued to the 16.00 and 18.00 model output.

Kind Regards

Dave

Ooh, it's quite possible you were at school with my dad then. 

My first snow story would be 1979, when my mum used to tell about when I was born it always starts with how they were knee deep in snow outside St. Johns. 
I don't think I am being biased thinking I had quite a snowy childhood, compared to my children's time.

Posted
40 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

A four day cold spell with the mean below zero and say 3 mornings of lying snow would be a pretty good cold spell - I am not sure where people are seeing anything more than that - I live hearing the recollections of winters past not sure this period will be a match to them though ! ? 

A very realistic and high probable summary. 
Im very confident that our region is likely to see snow latter part of this weekend and early next week. 

63/87/91/2010 it is not. 

However a couple snow days on this heat island is nothing to be sniffed at ??

• Like 4

Posted

Hot off the press.....looks much more encouraging for those in the SE. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice

ICON 12z are a joy to behold, SE now firmly in the game after everything has dropped south by around 100 miles and a slider to boot during the middle of next week

Hopefully the other models follow suit and things start firming up in the next 24/48 hours

Edited by Speedbird
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
6 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

Great informative intelligent forecast ! Just what’s lacking from BBC ones !

• Like 4

Posted
14 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

Ok I am feeling a little excited now...!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Badgers01 said:

Great informative intelligent forecast ! Just what’s lacking from BBC ones !

I actually said that as I was watching it. Love the fact he talks about different models, and shows the options of what could happen. Imagine that on UK telly. 

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Speedbird said:

ICON 12z are a joy to behold, SE now firmly in the game after everything has dropped south by around 100 miles and a slider to boot during the middle of next week

Hopefully the other models follow suit and things start firming up in the next 24/48 hours

Just 100 miles more for the Kent and Sussex to get some heavy snowfall 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
1 minute ago, Tom Jarvis said:

Just 100 miles more for the Kent and Sussex to get some heavy snowfall 

it's a lot closer than previous - plenty of scope for further adjustments southwards

• Like 1